P4T533-C and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB - What BIOS version?

Old October 23rd 04, 03:09 PM
Scott

Default P4T533-C and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB - What BIOS version?

I installed an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB in my P4T533-C (after using
an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro for almost two years), and I have been
encountering problems. Before I look further, what BIOS version is
anyone with this setup using? I am using the latest release version -
1010 (1010c.zip).

Thanks.

Scott
Old October 24th 04, 02:24 AM
Craig

I am running an AMD 3600 on an A7N8X-E delux board with no
overclocking or any wierdness but my 9800 Pro 256mb card seems to be
erroring out...often blu screening me. I have updated my bios to no
avail. It would seem that this is a common issue for folks trying to
play Halo on this card too (based on my research) i have no
resolutions thus far

Old October 25th 04, 03:48 PM
Scott

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:46:19 -0400, Fleabus
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:09:18 -0400, Scott
wrote:

I installed an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB in my P4T533-C (after using
an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro for almost two years), and I have been
encountering problems. Before I look further, what BIOS version is
anyone with this setup using? I am using the latest release version -
1010 (1010c.zip).

Thanks.

Scott

Hi Scott:

We have followed similar path. I use an Asus P4T533-C, had an ATI
Radeon 9700 Pro a while on it before swapping it out for an ATI Radeon
9800XT.

I don't know if it would make a difference but I use a newer but beta
bios for my Asus board.

1011c_07.zip
1011-07 Beta
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO...850e/P4T533-C/

When I swapped cards I uninstalled the ATI Control Panel then the ATI
drivers in ADD/REMOVE. Before restarting I ran the Catalyst
Uninstaller

cat-uninstaller.exe
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/m...lystutils.html

That supposedly deletes all ATI related files from your system.

I then shut down, swapped cards, rebooted, installed using the ATI CD
and then updated to whatever Cat version was current at the time.
No problems with the ATI card at all.

My system:
WinXP HE SP2 full/clean slipstream install
DirectX 9.0c
Microsoft .NET Framework v1.0.3705
Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 SP1
Lian-Li PC-6089 Aluminum mid-tower case w/4case fans
Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550W PSU ATX+12V ver1.2 PSU
Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e
on-board Intel LAN to Alcatel Speed Touch Home external ADSL modem
P4 2.8b\533MHz FSB retail
1GB OCZ PC1066 RIMMs
Panasonic FDD
Promise Ultra133 TX2 PCI controller card
2x 80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs [UDMA6]
OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b (1394a + b) PCI card
1x250GB Maxtor One Touch External Ultra ATA-133 7200 RPM HDD [1394a]
1x250GB Maxtor One Touch External Ultra ATA-133 7200 RPM HDD [USB2.0]
Toshiba SD-M1612 16X/48X DVD-ROM
Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD±R/RW CD-R/RW burner
ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB AGP retail (Cat4.10)
DV-I: Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black 21.3" TFT
1600x1200 32bit 60Hz (native)
VGA: ViewSonic P225f 22" Aperture Grille CRT
1600x1200 32bit 85Hz
TV OUT: S-video to 36" Sony Wega XBR-400 NTSC
TerraTec DMX 6fire LT PCI sound card to Denon AVR-3802 7x110W based HT
system
Canon S750 BJ USB 1.1 printer
Canon D1250U2F USB 2.0 scanner
Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse
Logitech Cordless Elite Keyboard
Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick
Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick
Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless USB Gamepad/Rumblepad
Timex Ironman Data Link USB Watch
D-Link DSB-H4 powered 4 port USB v1.1 hub

Asus beta bios has had no issues with the above

Happy trails,

Thanks for the information. I may have found the answers to the
problems I was encountering. At first, I think I was having a thermal
problem with the 9800 Pro, even though my case temperature never went
over 34 degC. I installed a Zalman ZM80D-HP, and I went from screen
both screen not writing correctly as well as video breakup and screen
lockup to just the screen not writing correctly. That seems to have
been a Java Runtime issue with Catalyst prior to version 4.10 - I just
updated them this morning (which necessitated a Windows XP Pro
activation, for some reason!) If all goes well today, those were the
corrective actions needed.

I may still update the Bios to the latest beta anyway.

By the way, did you set the Bios to USWC and enable Write Combining
for the 9800XT, assuming it also has that capability?

Again, thanks.