bios upgrade

Old December 6th 03, 12:06 PM
etoh

Default bios upgrade

Hi
I have an old abit motherborad ABIT PH5 but have a problem with it:
the old bios those not want to "see" my cdrom, and there is no option to
boot from cdrom.
Its not a fault of a cdrom, jumpers(master/.../...), cabels, or anything of
this matter.

I tried to update the bios with
awdflash 7,36 ver. and found afew bioses, the program hanges, and nothing is
done

links to pages:
http://www.scanware-web.dk/download/utilities/
ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/...abit/bios/ph5/

Those anyone have a idea how to solve this problem?

THX for help
EtOH

Old December 6th 03, 03:29 PM
TomG

a lot of things could be at work here... possibly the older board requires a
different bios flasher? you sure you have the correct bios file for the
board? the CD-ROM drive is good and works in another computer? the power
lead for the drive doesn't have spread pins and is failing to get power?

does the drive ever blink the LED and can the tray be opened/closed?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old December 6th 03, 04:18 PM
etoh

Hi
a lot of things could be at work here... possibly the older board requires

different bios flasher? you sure you have the correct bios file for the
board?

the bios's I found are all dedicated to abit ph5, but there are diffrent
numbers at the end and its not explained what do they mean and what are the
diffrences between them.
The question is which flasher to use then??

the CD-ROM drive is good and works in another computer? the power
lead for the drive doesn't have spread pins and is failing to get power?

does the drive ever blink the LED and can the tray be opened/closed?

as I wrote evrything is all right with the cdrom I tried it in another PC
and it works,
even I tried with another CD which works too in another PC.

EtOH

Old December 6th 03, 09:57 PM
TomG

the last two characters of the bios (numbers or letters or both) are the
bios revision. when the CD-ROM drive is installed in THIS pc, does the LED
light at all (ever) and will the tray open and close?

Old December 7th 03, 10:05 AM
etoh

the last two characters of the bios (numbers or letters or both) are the
bios revision. when the CD-ROM drive is installed in THIS pc, does the

LED
light at all (ever) and will the tray open and close?

Yes the LED light, at the start and it is possible to open and close the
tray.

EtOH

Old December 7th 03, 10:08 AM
etoh

Then you must be using an old Windows-version, which requires the Bios
to "see" the cdrom-drive.
With some Linux-distro, or Win2000 or WinXP, that should not be a problem.

OK so how can I install linux or anything else when I can not change in the
bios to boot from cd
and its not "seen" by the bios?
EtOH

Old December 7th 03, 01:34 PM
TomG

okay, the LED flashing at boot and the ability to open and close it usually
indicate that things are working at the electrical level so I'm with you,
I'd be looking at something from the bios level. in the bios information
that is displayed on the boot screens, do you see anything about Award Bios?
that would indicate that with the older vintage board, the bios flasher
*should* still be the same (no reason to think it wouldn't be...)

Old December 7th 03, 02:27 PM
etoh

okay, the LED flashing at boot and the ability to open and close it
usually
indicate that things are working at the electrical level so I'm with you,

I told You :-)

I'd be looking at something from the bios level. in the bios information
that is displayed on the boot screens, do you see anything about Award

Bios?
that would indicate that with the older vintage board, the bios flasher
*should* still be the same (no reason to think it wouldn't be...)

Sorry I don't understand what you mean?

New "plot": I found a awdflasher 7,07 add a bios, looks like a newer from
that I have, the flasher starts right the bios's checksum and then
everything stops, hangs no reaction? How about that? :-)

EtOH

Old December 7th 03, 02:41 PM
etoh

etoh wrote:
Then you must be using an old Windows-version, which requires the Bios
to "see" the cdrom-drive.
With some Linux-distro, or Win2000 or WinXP, that should not be a

problem.

OK so how can I install linux or anything else when I can not change in

the
bios to boot from cd
and its not "seen" by the bios?

Use a bootfloppy for the OS you want to install.

Maybe in linux and win2k it would work, but I don't think so
in winxp you can not make a boot-floppy by writing foramt a: /s

OK if it would work you boot from floppy and then if you start to install an
OS it usually reboots and then what?

EtOH

Old December 7th 03, 04:47 PM
TomG

no clue from me. for whatever reason, the flash won't continue. like I
asked earlier, when the system boots, do you see anything on the early POST
screens indicating it is an Award bios?