Cleaning ink heads in epson 960 printer

Old December 6th 06, 05:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rubberstampman

Default Cleaning ink heads in epson 960 printer

I have three epson 960 printers.

I need to know how to clean the ink heads of this printer. and what is
the special fluid that you use. I understand that there is a house hold
fluid that I can buy or make to do this. and also do I need to remove
the ink cart to do this. If any one can help me I would greatly
appreciate it.

Also what new epson phot printers would you suggest or are there other
printers that work better. I print allot and like to use a direct flow
system with the ink bottles out side the printer so I dont have to
change cartridges so often.

Thanks

Russ Bernard

Old December 6th 06, 05:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"rubberstampman" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have three epson 960 printers.

I need to know how to clean the ink heads of this printer. and what is
the special fluid that you use. I understand that there is a house hold
fluid that I can buy or make to do this. and also do I need to remove
the ink cart to do this. If any one can help me I would greatly
appreciate it.

Also what new epson phot printers would you suggest or are there other
printers that work better. I print allot and like to use a direct flow
system with the ink bottles out side the printer so I dont have to
change cartridges so often.

Thanks

Russ Bernard

look for posts from Arthur Entlich and email a request for his Epson head
cleaning manual.

Old December 6th 06, 06:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rubberstampman

I have tried several different email addresses for Arthur, and they
don't seem to work. Please email me his Email address.

Thanks Russ

Old December 7th 06, 01:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Russ has been in contact with me, so he did finally find/acquire the
correct address ;-)

Art

Old December 7th 06, 03:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson, PE

rubberstampman wrote:
I have three epson 960 printers.

I need to know how to clean the ink heads of this printer. and what is
the special fluid that you use. I understand that there is a house hold
fluid that I can buy or make to do this. and also do I need to remove
the ink cart to do this. If any one can help me I would greatly
appreciate it.

Also what new epson phot printers would you suggest or are there other
printers that work better. I print allot and like to use a direct flow
system with the ink bottles out side the printer so I dont have to
change cartridges so often.

I have a Canon MP780 printer that has seen serious use for almost two
years. Just recently the print head had an issue with the cyan color
and I figured the head might be worn out and needing replaced. Thinking
I had nothing to lose, I took the head out and thoroughly rinsed it in
the sink. I ran tap water through the cartridge intake until the ink
for all colors was removed.

I then took a can of compressed air and with the head placed in a paper
towel I blew out most of the water from each ink pathway and dried it on
the outside. I then placed it back in the printer and installed the
cartridges and immediately printed two or three full size color photos
on plain paper to flush out any remaining water in the head. It has
worked great ever since. The tap water appears to have done no damage
and the printer works as good as when new.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this again as it worked extremely well and
with no apparent damage to the head.
Old December 7th 06, 03:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson, PE

Sorry, I thought you were referencing a Canon i960 printer. My
experience may not apply to an Epson.

Old December 7th 06, 06:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
rubberstampman wrote:
[...]

Canon printheads are removable and Epson printheads are fixed in place.
Although they can be removed and replaced this is not something most end
users should consider. There are techniques for cleaning them in place, and
Arthur Entlich has written a very good "how-to" manual that he sends as an
email attachment at no charge

Old December 7th 06, 06:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson, PE

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
rubberstampman wrote:
[...]

Then flooding the print head with tap water on the printer in question
is not an option. I was surprised when I did it to the print head in
my MP780. It worked great. Just make sure the head is dry on the
outside before putting back in the cradle and installing the cartridges.
I didn't even notice any water on the first print. It looked fine. I
also think it is important to print something in color and "text only"
black (to flush the Bk3e cartridge) right after the head is rinsed to
get ink back into the head ASAP.
Old December 7th 06, 06:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
rubberstampman wrote:
[...]

You can also use a purge file. MIS has several downloadable purge files
that are simply vertical bars of each color of ink you have for your
particular printer. Printing one of these files clears each set of color
nozzles fairly equally. You are right about the plain paper setting to
clear the bci-3ebk nozzles.

Epson Stylus Photo 830 Printer - Excessive Head Cleaning Si General 5 October 22nd 07 10:22 PM
Ink clog in Epson printers Goyan Printers 30 February 27th 06 02:38 PM
The woe of Epson (C62): Davy Printers 53 May 11th 05 06:52 PM
R800 Clogged up! [email protected] Printers 36 April 22nd 05 09:26 PM
Why are Epson inkjets crap when used by uneducated users? devans Printers 0 April 21st 04 01:25 AM