So what if thermal compound spreads?

Old April 12th 04, 11:45 AM
QBall

"Piotr Makley" wrote in message
Conor wrote:

Hmmm greasy finger goop, damn boy if you worked in my place
and used your bare hands you'd be getting a **** round the
back of your head...

Why is that? Is it because you buy into the hype of the
anti-static wristband manufacturers lies?

And yes I know all about static damage...

I don't think he is referring to damage by static. I think there
is something "bad" about even a trace of grease like that from a
finger. I don't know why this is though.

The reason for that is that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Until they dry out, vegemite and toothpaste work better than AS3 !

Can anyone enlighten me (gently)?

Old April 12th 04, 11:46 AM
QBall

"Piotr Makley" wrote in message
"QBall" wrote:

I have fine, non-greasy skin.
I notice other people's mice and keyboards are always covered
in a sort of greasy/grainy mix ..... disgusting.
You could always wash your finger first, you know.
Using an implement allows the introduction of coarse
particulate matter (which will screw the interface) - which a
finger can easily detect.

Anyway, the addition of a
microscopic quantity of skin oil makes no difference
whatsoever.

But why do people seem to worry about it?

Simple.
Because they spend too much time with their fingers stuck up their backsides
!

Old April 12th 04, 12:37 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Queve Tientoo" wrote:

No matter how much you put on, the excess will get squeezed
out buy the pressure from the HS hold down clip, your layer will always
end up the same thickness. I have removed several and the "layer" looks the
same on both the carefully applied with no squizz-out and the sloppy with
heavy squizz.

If too much is applied the excess won't be squeezed out. If it's
applied properly their should be so little between the contact areas
that it'll be barely visible when you remove the heatsink.

--
iv Paul iv

Old April 12th 04, 01:11 PM
kony

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:26:44 +0000 (UTC), "QBall"
wrote:

And it's so thick, there's no metal-metal contact.

Metal to metal eh? Obviously you're only talking about CPUs with a heat
spreader on them. It makes a much greater difference how thick the
compound is when there's a spreader, because the retention force per sq.
mm is so much lower.

It's difficult enough to rub the goop away with a finger - try it for
yourself.

Well that's just a sign that your heatsink compound is too thick. If it
can't even be rubbed with a finger it's not going to be getting into the
crevasses very well either until it heats up, at which point it would also
tend to ooze out from between the 'sink and cpu too.

Try my method and watch your temps drop 5C !

On a P4, using very thick compound, I'll believe it makes a 5C difference.
With compound of the proper consistency on an Athlon XP, maybe 1C if that,
though it might take a couple thermal cycles for some of the excess to
seep out.
Old April 12th 04, 01:31 PM
QBall

wrote:

And it's so thick, there's no metal-metal contact.

Metal to metal eh? Obviously you're only talking about CPUs with a heat
spreader on them. It makes a much greater difference how thick the
compound is when there's a spreader, because the retention force per sq.
mm is so much lower.

It's difficult enough to rub the goop away with a finger - try it for
yourself.

Well that's just a sign that your heatsink compound is too thick.

Hehem .... I'm the guy who's been saying that it should be applied so it's
invisible.
Rubbing it off the point of invisibility takes a little application of
effort and could no way be achieved by squeezing with a sink clip.
You've gotten the complete wrong end of the stick, sir !

If it
can't even be rubbed with a finger it's not going to be getting into the
crevasses very well either until it heats up,

This is a problem with crappy, coarse goops like Ceramique.
For the CPU, a fine goop like AS3 should be used.

at which point it would also
tend to ooze out from between the 'sink and cpu too.

Try my method and watch your temps drop 5C !

On a P4, using very thick compound, I'll believe it makes a 5C difference.
With compound of the proper consistency on an Athlon XP, maybe 1C if that,
though it might take a couple thermal cycles for some of the excess to
seep out.

Intel P4 heat sink., thermal compund reprise... Ted Williamson General 1 March 29th 04 04:28 AM
Thermal Paste Help archagon General 3 March 28th 04 05:55 AM
Thermal paste - General 12 November 15th 03 08:54 AM
Intel P4 Boxed - New Thermal Pad Color Change? bucko General 11 November 14th 03 01:22 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM