Radeon9600 woes

Old October 19th 03, 12:40 PM

Default Radeon9600 woes

I'm running a HIS R9600pro 128m with a Asus A7N8X m/b

Latyst Catylist drivers and DX9.0b

when I run Dxdiag it reports AGP Texture Acceleration 'Not Available',
is this normal for this card?

tnx

JC

Old October 19th 03, 02:47 PM

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:56:43 +0000 (UTC), "Shawk"
-guesses wrote:

when I run Dxdiag it reports AGP Texture Acceleration 'Not Available',
is this normal for this card?

Its not normal and I've suffered from it in the past. I solved mine by
Via chipset? (Sorry - too lazy to look). If so you may need the latest 4 in
1's from the Via website. You might then need to reload DX9.

thanks,

it's a Award bios - I've just flashed the latest update from the Asus
website (It's a fairly modern board AGP8x ddr400 support etc.) and
reinstalled DX9 but still the same.

I'm having trouble with a flightsim which started me down this path as
it crashes on switching vid mode. But the Ati demo's I've d/l 'Lava
Caves' and 'Gargoyle' seem to run ok but then I don't know whether I
am seeing them in all their glory. They look ok run smooth but don't
seem anything special..... or maybe I am expecting too much.

rgds

JC

Old October 19th 03, 03:58 PM
Robert J. Gonzalez

After reading this, I checked and saw that I had the same issue.

I downloaded the latest catalyst package from ati.com (posted 10/8/2003) and
now my texture accel is enabled.

Old October 19th 03, 05:26 PM
Skid

wrote in message
I'm running a HIS R9600pro 128m with a Asus A7N8X m/b

Latyst Catylist drivers and DX9.0b

when I run Dxdiag it reports AGP Texture Acceleration 'Not Available',
is this normal for this card?

Go to start/run and type SMARTGART. Run all the tests and it should be
enabled. If not, check your bios to make sure you haven't messed up the AGP
settings.

Old October 19th 03, 07:11 PM

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:26:23 GMT, "Skid"
wrote:

I'm running a HIS R9600pro 128m with a Asus A7N8X m/b

Latyst Catylist drivers and DX9.0b

when I run Dxdiag it reports AGP Texture Acceleration 'Not Available',
is this normal for this card?

Go to start/run and type SMARTGART. Run all the tests and it should be
enabled. If not, check your bios to make sure you haven't messed up the AGP
settings.

Skid
(before reading your post)

On further checking m/b there is a sticker across the end of the AGP
slot, underneath is a removable plastic tab. This is fitted such that
normal insertion of the card misses these blocked off contacts. The
sticker says to remove the tab when using an AGP pro card. I'm not
exactly sure what this does or how it does it but I have removed it
nonetheless, and rebooted.

It now appears according to DXdiag that I have no DirectX features at
all as all 3 options now show as not Available.

So I seem to have made a bad situation worse.

I have tried running Smartgart but it still alters nothing after
rebooting.

I think these bios settings are all the relevant ones:

Graphics aperture size [64M] (I have tried making this 128M same as
card but makes no difference)

AGP Spread Spectrum [Disabled]

AGP Frequency [Auto]

VRam Cacheable [Disabled]

AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.5V]

AGP 8X Support [Enabled]

AGP Fast Write Capability [Enabled]

rgds

JC
Old October 19th 03, 07:28 PM
Skid

wrote:

[...]

You don't have an AGP Pro card. Put the tab back. You can try disabling fast
wrties, which provide little performance and can cause stability problems.

At this point I think your best bet is to ty a clean driver install.

Use the add-remove control panel to take off everything ATI, drivers,
control panel, MMC, etc.

Reinstall them all, then reinstall DX9.

Old October 19th 03, 08:08 PM
Shawk

wrote:

[...]

John,

Reference my earlier post. I have the Asus A7V8X which is a Via chipset.
Re-installing the 4in1's from Via fixed this for me (the 4in1's include an
AGP driver for the mobo - NOT for the graphics card). I now think your mobo
has the NForce2 chipset. Is this correct? If so is there a similar AGP
driver for the NForce mobo on the Asus or NForce website?

(Can anyone with an NForce advise)?

Cheers, Shaun.

Old October 19th 03, 09:44 PM
Cosmic

I had the same problem and was able to fix it by reinstalling new via4-1
drivers....uninstalling/reinstalling ATI drivers then reinstall
Directx....now everything works! Thanks for all the suggestions...you guys
ROCK!

Old October 19th 03, 11:32 PM

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:44:03 GMT, "Cosmic"
wrote:

Shaun

I downloaded the Nforce2 mobo drivers from NVidia's website (I'd been
using the latest from Asus) and Smartgart then started holding its
settings. It took a couple of reboots to get dxdiag to confirm it and
my crashing flight sim that started all this now runs sweetly.

many tnx for all the help and suggestions

I had the same problem and was able to fix it by reinstalling new via4-1
drivers....uninstalling/reinstalling ATI drivers then reinstall
Directx....now everything works! Thanks for all the suggestions...you guys
ROCK!

Absolutely!

rgds

John

Old October 20th 03, 12:24 AM
Shawk

wrote:

[...]

Nice one. Glad it worked for ya both. Shaun