Wroing reading of cdrw

Old May 12th 04, 02:05 PM
Graham Mayor

Default Wroing reading of cdrw

This is a sign of an inability to read the disc and a further indication
that CDRW discs (especially with packet software) are unsuitable for storing
irreplacable data.

Try and open the disc on another PC and copy the information from it to CDR.

--

Graham Mayor

tcm wrote:
i have a cdrw with over 200 files and over 200megs. I accessed the
cdrw normally last week with no problems.
When i tried to access it yesteday, I got the wrong reading. The
computer reported that the cdrw contained 2 audio files only and
winamp tried to playm track 1 to no avail. There are no audio files
on the cdrw and the other correct files have diappeared. HELP

Old May 12th 04, 05:14 PM
The Walmsley's

I had something similar once.

Went to My Computer/Right click your CD/Select Properties/Volumes

Sometimes there are more than one Volume on the disc, I'd put 2 or 3 on
inadvertently, and when I selected a different Volume, the tracks I hoped I
hadn't lost miraculously re-appeared.

Just an idea!

Nik.

*** Remove S P A M K I L L from my Email Address to reply via Email ***

tcm wrote:
i have a cdrw with over 200 files and over 200megs. I accessed the
cdrw normally last week with no problems.
When i tried to access it yesteday, I got the wrong reading. The
computer reported that the cdrw contained 2 audio files only and
winamp tried to playm track 1 to no avail. There are no audio files
on the cdrw and the other correct files have diappeared. HELP

---

Old May 12th 04, 07:54 PM
AAH

The same case is with me while using
Easy Cd Creator 5 Basic. Data Cd command
gets it messup particulary when Close Cd
option is activated.
The Cd turns out Audio Cd Track01.cda 1/1/95 and windows player tries to
play it.
The funny thing is that the Cd is OK as far as it remains in the same Writer
drvie. Once the cd disc is removed and reinserted in the same drive it
is a Audio cd Track01.cda 1/1/95
As you say the same cd disc can be read
accurately in other computer in ordinary cd drive.(not cd writer)
I am using some freeware burner, this messup
does not happen there.
Why this is with Adaptec/Roxio stuff?

Old May 12th 04, 08:22 PM
Mike Richter

tcm wrote:

i have a cdrw with over 200 files and over 200megs. I accessed the
cdrw normally last week with no problems.
When i tried to access it yesteday, I got the wrong reading. The
computer reported that the cdrw contained 2 audio files only and
winamp tried to playm track 1 to no avail. There are no audio files
on the cdrw and the other correct files have diappeared. HELP

From having two "audio" files, it seems that you mastered two sessions
to the disc. At least, you did not write UDF!

Unless you can get a drive to read the data type correctly, there's no
cure. If another drive or the current one when it's cooler (or warmer or
more green or something) will read the disc correctly, grab what you
need and add this disc to the pile of trash erasable media - all of them
for most of us.

If you cannot get the disc recognized as data, you've had it. The
interleaved ECC code will make working around this 'slight' error all
but impossible.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old May 12th 04, 09:33 PM
smh

.. -------------------------------------------
Graham Mayor (MS MVP), were you also born
with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?

Graham Mayor (MS MVP) barfed:

i have a cdrw with over 200 files and over 200megs. I accessed the
cdrw normally last week with no problems.
When i tried to access it yesteday, I got the wrong reading. The
computer reported that the cdrw contained 2 audio files only

This is a sign of an inability to read the disc and a further indication
that CDRW discs (especially with packet software) are unsuitable for storing
irreplacable data.

Following the asinine logic of an MS MVP, CDR discs are also unsuitable
for storing irreplaceable data:

=====================================
From: "O'Connors"
Subject: ALL files burn as audio files

whenever I try to burn any type of file the end result is a
CDR which my two computers seem to think is a single audio track.

=====================================
From: "Nigel Andrews"
Subject: CD-R turns into an Audio CD!

I am having a few problems with recording on CD-R's.
The result is the CD-R then looks like an Audio CD
=====================================
Old May 12th 04, 09:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes !!! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed:

tcm wrote:
i have a cdrw with over 200 files and over 200megs. I accessed the
cdrw normally last week with no problems.
When i tried to access it yesteday, I got the wrong reading. The
computer reported that the cdrw contained 2 audio files only

From having two "audio" files, it seems that you mastered two sessions
to the disc. At least, you did not write UDF!

Unless you can get a drive to read the data type correctly, there's no
cure. If another drive or the current one when it's cooler (or warmer or
more green or something) will read the disc correctly, grab what you
need and add this disc to the pile of trash erasable media - all of them
for most of us.

Don't forget to include CD-R media also as trash:

=====================================
From: "O'Connors"

From: "Nigel Andrews"

Old May 12th 04, 10:32 PM
smh

=========================
From: "ned ludd"
Subject: Older CD-RWs
Date: 10/19/02

Tim Kroesen "Ummmmm"-ed:

Why does Mike Richter really not use Re-Writables?

The media of course *proved* to be unreliable over time.

*Only* in his Plextor. It's wild extrapolation to suggest that there is
some
innate problem with burning LS media in a HS drive based on his
experience
and newsgroup noise, most of which relates to one brand of (presumably
low
quality) media. You and Mike may possess psychic newsreaders which are
capable of accurately divining whether we are dealing with the
disgruntled
minority (if that defence is good enough for EZCD/DCD, why is this any
different?) who can't burn RW reliably or whether this really is a
widespread problem, but I remain wary of trying to draw conclusions from
newsgroup noise.

Still waiting for my HS burned LS media to show any signs of fading,
some of
it approaching 2 years old.

==========================
From: "ned ludd"
Date: 10/21/02

Tim Kroesen "Ummmmm"-ed:

It's the same repeated NG 'noise' as you call it what DOCUMENTS CDRW
data loss as a widespread problem.

Failure to write or format the discs in the first place seems to be at
least
as much of a problem as data loss.

Widespread in the context of this newsgroup perhaps. How representative
of
the 50-60 million writers produced each year the problem is, remains far
from clear to me, if not to you. Hardware newsgroup are littered with
complaints about dead hard drives, crap motherboards, in years past Zip
drives with the click of death and so on, in all cases it's a vociferous
minority which gives rise to the impression of a more widespread
problem.
Even when there was an acknowledged problem - Zip drives, the numbers
involved amounted to little more than 1% of production. Is that your
idea of
widespread?

In the days when EZCD/DCD was bundled with most writers this newsgroup
was
full of complaints about that software, yet these were dismissed as the
complaints of a disgruntled minority. Not for the first time, what's
different here apart from your (2nd hand) prejudices?

Pay attention; we read about it nearly every day...

not unless my newsreader is missing posts, very few in the last few
months.

You're the one not paying attention. Mike's is one of the few (or
possibly
the only) case of good quality media fading documented here. The rest
are
almost always Memorex, THAT's what is documented. If you combine very
ordinary media with writers of similarly poor RW ability you obviously
can
have problems, and those problems existed before HS writers arrived on
the
scene. What's also been documented here is that some Teac, Plextor IDE
and
other HS writers can burn even these discs well. There have also been
reports of HS media failing to write or format.

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet does not
mean it doesn't exist...

And just because it happened to Mike doesn't mean that it's nearly
universal
or even 'widespread'.

Mike changed his tune publicly when he
personally experienced CDRW data 'fade'; will you if it occurs?

Don't hold your breath waiting g, my testing seems to indicate a
lifespan
of several years at least, and that's long enough for my needs. And if I
do
see fade it may well be that the burner is on its way out.
==========================

Old May 13th 04, 04:48 AM
smh

.. -------------------------------------------
Graham Mayor (MS MVP), were you also born
with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?

Graham Mayor (MS MVP) barfed:

CDRW discs (especially with packet software) are unsuitable for storing
irreplacable data.

That's exactly what Mikey spewed:

=====================================
Mike Richter & "Lethal for archiving"
=====================================

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)
Subject: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with
the tendency of erasables (particularly HS) to forget
is LETHAL for archiving.
=====================

Note that the above was when the reports of DirectCD bugs were pouring
in. But when Mikey was shilling for Take Two, supposedly a backup
software, the same LETHAL combination of supposedly flaky fixed-length
packets and supposedly forgetful Rewritable media was good enough for
backup !!!

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=====================

Graham Mayor (MS MVP), did the "format" (or DirectCD) change for the
worse between (9/1/99) and (10/15/01)?
Old May 13th 04, 08:22 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed:

trash erasable media - all of them for most of us.

How could you make such a sweeping statement without a body of
experience?

From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 5/12/04
Subject: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives reading High Speed
and Ultra Speed CD-RW Discs

the fragility of erasables means that I use them only
for test, so I don't have a body of experience to report.

(How do you conclude Rewritables are fragile)
( without a body of experience? )