Correct way to fit IDE cable?

Old September 27th 03, 05:02 PM
Peter McVries

Default Correct way to fit IDE cable?

I've recently bought a new machine and is working ok although I expected
better performance from an Asus A7N8X-X and Athlon 3000xp. Having
looked inside the case it appears that the Maxtor hard drive has the
grey connector plugged in to it, the blue connector is to the MOBO and
the black connector is free.

I thought that the black connector should be plugged in to the Hard disk
as that is the master connector and the grey should be used for any
slave devices.

Is this correct? Should I put the black IDE connector to the HDD?

TIA.

Old September 27th 03, 05:20 PM
James

"Peter McVries" wrote in message
I've recently bought a new machine and is working ok although I expected
better performance from an Asus A7N8X-X and Athlon 3000xp. Having
looked inside the case it appears that the Maxtor hard drive has the
grey connector plugged in to it, the blue connector is to the MOBO and
the black connector is free.

I thought that the black connector should be plugged in to the Hard disk
as that is the master connector and the grey should be used for any
slave devices.

Is this correct? Should I put the black IDE connector to the HDD?

TIA.

yes you are right - technically - but as you see it does work, just not so
well when on wrong -
so yes you should have blue-mobo, black to master, grey to slave

Old September 27th 03, 06:50 PM
Norm

Your drive must be set as master rather than cable select and that's why
it's working. Don't think it will make any difference in performance where
you put it or how you strap it.

Old September 27th 03, 08:31 PM
V W Wall

Peter McVries wrote:

I've recently bought a new machine and is working ok although I expected
better performance from an Asus A7N8X-X and Athlon 3000xp. Having
looked inside the case it appears that the Maxtor hard drive has the
grey connector plugged in to it, the blue connector is to the MOBO and
the black connector is free.

I thought that the black connector should be plugged in to the Hard disk
as that is the master connector and the grey should be used for any
slave devices.

Is this correct? Should I put the black IDE connector to the HDD?

TIA.

As long as you're not using cable select, it makes no difference which
connector you use. There is a possibility that having an unused "stub"
between the middle (grey) and the end (black) connector could pick up
electromatic interfereence. Thus the recomendation that a single drive
be put on the end connector. If you set the drive(s) to cable select,
a conductor in the cable to pin #28 (CSEL) determines which drive will
be master. This requires the master to be on the end (black) connector.

Virg Wall

~ Carl Edward Sagan ~
Old September 28th 03, 05:29 PM
Shep©

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:02:11 +0100, In this world we created Peter
McVries wrote :

I've recently bought a new machine and is working ok although I expected
better performance from an Asus A7N8X-X and Athlon 3000xp. Having
looked inside the case it appears that the Maxtor hard drive has the
grey connector plugged in to it, the blue connector is to the MOBO and
the black connector is free.

I thought that the black connector should be plugged in to the Hard disk
as that is the master connector and the grey should be used for any
slave devices.

Is this correct? Should I put the black IDE connector to the HDD?

TIA.

See other posts but have you bench marked the drive/s?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old September 30th 03, 07:39 PM
Peter McVries

McVries wrote :

I've recently bought a new machine and is working ok although I expected
better performance from an Asus A7N8X-X and Athlon 3000xp. Having
looked inside the case it appears that the Maxtor hard drive has the
grey connector plugged in to it, the blue connector is to the MOBO and
the black connector is free.

I thought that the black connector should be plugged in to the Hard disk
as that is the master connector and the grey should be used for any
slave devices.

Is this correct? Should I put the black IDE connector to the HDD?

TIA.

See other posts but have you bench marked the drive/s?

No. How would I go about that?

Cable modem problem [email protected] General 1 September 25th 03 09:16 AM
Problemilla con el cable de un monitor Diego Fraguas General 0 August 12th 03 06:22 PM
Need help finding Cable signal problem Vanguard General 1 August 1st 03 09:56 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
IDE Conductor Cable? rcm General 0 July 24th 03 06:44 AM