Correct angle for keyboard

Old July 28th 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Richard Colton

Default Correct angle for keyboard

"H. Seldon" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

Snipped bull****

You truly are a *stupid* ****wit aren't you??

You mean it's taken you *THIS* long to work it out? Blimey.

plonk

Nah, the muppet will just morph as he usually does. He does have some
comedy value though.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Old July 28th 06, 05:35 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

A nym shifting, usually XNoArchive troll from alt.os.windows-xp

See also:

Newsgroups: alt.test
Subject: teeest again
From: sbb78247 sbb78247 ****off.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:34:39 +0200 (CEST)

From: "sbb78247" sbb78247 ****off.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: mainboard monitor to test video card?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 13:02:08 -0500

From: "sbb78247" nospam professionalprick.com
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardw are.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Correct angle for keyboard
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:57:02 -0500

i would think you are an expert on RSI with all of the jerking off you do!

Old July 28th 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Osiris

The only RSI killer is speech-recognition.

Well, Opera singers have a tendancy to lose thier voice if not careful.
I Suppose there isn't any part that's really safe from repetivive
strain.

It's called: expiration date.

Old July 29th 06, 05:35 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Keyboard slope, prosthetics, and all that stuff might help, but
it won't stop repetitive strain injury (RSI).

The only RSI killer is speech-recognition.

Well, Opera singers have a tendancy to lose thier voice if not
careful. I Suppose there isn't any part that's really safe from
repetivive strain.

I haven't gotten hoarse yet.

Speech recognition is a generation ahead of using a keyboard for
activating scripts/macros too. You can't have enough keys (or
keystroke combinations) on a keyboard to equal the number of
recognizable two or three syllables sounds, and keystrokes aren't
anywhere near as memorable (there's no comparison). Dictation and
speech activated automation are distinct. Dictation is difficult,
but using speech for macro activation is a very limited vocabulary
and much easier no matter how many macros you would like to have.

For me, currently NaturallySpeaking is the only viable SR program.
One way to train your voice might be to buy a digital recorder for
taking notes, then you can play them back and rerecord them until
they sound right. I did that for a couple of years before finally
getting SR to work (besides, digital recorders are cool).

Good luck.

Old July 29th 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 04:35:04 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

snip, snip

Speech recognition is a generation ahead of using a keyboard for
activating scripts/macros too.

snip

I did that for a couple of years before finally
getting SR to work (besides, digital recorders are cool).

Err, I'd hardly call training for 2 years, even remotely
close to being a generation ahead of using a keyboard to get
the job done.

Seems quite the opposite, that SR is still far far behind
using a keyboard.
Old July 29th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Osiris

seems, the sum of all posts is either *THE* solution or zero.
Old July 29th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

kony spam spam.com wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 04:35:04 GMT, John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

snip, snip

Speech recognition is a generation ahead of using a keyboard for
activating scripts/macros too.

snip

I did that for a couple of years before finally
getting SR to work (besides, digital recorders are cool).

Err, I'd hardly call training for 2 years, even remotely
close to being a generation ahead of using a keyboard to get
the job done.

I got other things done with the digital recorders at the same time.
They are far superior to tape recorders for taking notes.

Again. If you are heavy into Windows automation like I am, there is
no comparison between speech recognition and a keyboard for
launching shortcuts/scripts/whenever.

Seems quite the opposite, that SR is still far far behind
using a keyboard.

It can be hell if you can't do it.

Knowing what I know now, I would have been using speech recognition
for Windows automation/macroing even before being able to dictate.

From: kony spam spam.com
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardw are.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 02:59:18 -0400

Old July 30th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "H. Seldon"
saying something like:

He has a habit of spouting total ******** in other places.
--

Dave
Old July 31st 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
WindsorFox

Rod Speed wrote:
Archie wrote:

Is there a generally-accepted best angle for the slope of a regular keyboard?

Nope.

One web page says this:

------------------ BEGIN QUOTE -----------------
"angle of the keyboard relative to the angle of the wrist. Most
keyboards slope upwards from front to back, and this means that
users bend their hands upwards when they are typing on the keyboard.

Nope, the hands just move over the keyboard with the arms doing that instead.

This posture is called wrist extension, and we
know that it is a source of injury risk for the wrist.

No we dont. In spades when the arms are what moves.

Once the hand is extended beyond about a 15° upward angle,

Pity that doesnt happen.

there is a very significant increase in the compression
on the median nerve and other structures inside the wrist.

Wrong again.

So it is extremely important to type with the hands as flat as possible.

Wrong again.

From http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/AHTutorials/ckd.htm
------------------ END QUOTE --------------------

Which I interpret as being zero to 15 degrees.

Nope, they are clearly saying that last that zero is best. They are wrong.

But my Compaq keyboard permits either:

(1) flat or maybe 5 degrees
(2) about 30 to 35 degrees.

I doubt you type enough to matter.

Do you have any references to back up your disagreements? I can't
find anything and I tend to trust Cornell Univ. on this since I can
correlate most of what you disagreed with to fact by personal
experience. It's a fact that typing with the hands bent in a upward
position can exacerbate the condition especially in people predisposed
for it. Zero degrees may not be the optimum, but until the release of
the latest MS ergo key board it was the best that could be achieved with
a keyboard on a flat surface. At $dayjob I have seen may people typing
with their hands past a 15 degree angle so it seems you may have limited
experience with unexperienced typists and this comes down to them not
knowing better and/or not knowing how to adjust the keyboard tray which
allows for a keyboard to be tilted down towards the top end rather than
up. It occurs that if some of your answers are to have any credibility
you should provide some insight into your reply beyond "nope" or "wrong."

--

I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff www.titanspot.com

Pyongyang sounds more like the sound effect an ACME catapult makes
as it goes off at precisely the wrong moment for Wile E. Coyote. -
Cadbury Moose