The true cost of printing ink ?

Old July 27th 07, 01:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jim Ford

Default The true cost of printing ink ?

Arthur Entlich wrote:
I haven't seen good ASCII art in years.

Art

Jerry1111 wrote:

Frank wrote:

measekite wrote:
You're really kind of stupid after all aren't you?

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I though it was rather good as well!

Jim FOrd
Old July 27th 07, 01:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message

| In both cases, (the corn flakes and the inks) it is slightly more
| complex, but the basic idea is the same, yes.
|
| In both cases, it is unlikely the product inside the box (cartridge) is
| identical, even if it is made by the same company in the same factory.
|
| In each case, the distributor is likely to be offered a number of
| formula, and they decide what price point they wish, and the formulation
| is altered to meet the market and pricing.
|
| For instance, you will often find the corn flakes in the off-brand box
| will contain less costly ingredients, or contain more preservatives.
| The reason is the "unbranded" product is probably only produced once or
| twice a year, to keep quantity order high to lower cost, and the
| warehouse is packed with the product, which is distributed for a year or
| more. The brand name product is made daily or weekly, so there can be
| more rapid turnover of stock, so it requires less inventory in storage
| and therefore lower amounts of preservatives.
|
| The same may be true of inks. Larger batches made, and dictates of the
| 3rd party to control pricing may lead to a different formulation.
|

| Art

snip

| As I suspected. It's rather like the choice in a supermarket between
| branded cornflakes like Kellogs and the supermarket's own brand - both
| made by the same company, the difference being indistinguishable except
| for the price and pretty packet.
|
| Jim Ford

The reality of band name vs house brand was demonstrated not too long ago
when there was a contamination of peanut butter in the USA. Seems one plant
was producing the majority of the PB sold at most of the box stores.

So the high end Peter Pan and low end Wal Mart carried the same codes (which
no one noticed) as they were the same product only difference was the label
and the price.

The distinction was clearly obvious as the TV and FDA were reporting the
same product code and there was a general shortage of those brands on the
store shelves.

I have observed some still claim they can taste the difference. Seems the
reality is the difference is ALL IN THEIR HEADS.

Old July 27th 07, 03:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

NotMe wrote:
"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message

| In both cases, (the corn flakes and the inks) it is slightly more
| complex, but the basic idea is the same, yes.
|
| In both cases, it is unlikely the product inside the box (cartridge) is
| identical, even if it is made by the same company in the same factory.
|
| In each case, the distributor is likely to be offered a number of
| formula, and they decide what price point they wish, and the formulation
| is altered to meet the market and pricing.
|
| For instance, you will often find the corn flakes in the off-brand box
| will contain less costly ingredients, or contain more preservatives.
| The reason is the "unbranded" product is probably only produced once or
| twice a year, to keep quantity order high to lower cost, and the
| warehouse is packed with the product, which is distributed for a year or
| more. The brand name product is made daily or weekly, so there can be
| more rapid turnover of stock, so it requires less inventory in storage
| and therefore lower amounts of preservatives.
|
| The same may be true of inks. Larger batches made, and dictates of the
| 3rd party to control pricing may lead to a different formulation.
|

| Art

snip

| As I suspected. It's rather like the choice in a supermarket between
| branded cornflakes like Kellogs and the supermarket's own brand - both
| made by the same company, the difference being indistinguishable except
| for the price and pretty packet.
|
| Jim Ford

The reality of band name vs house brand was demonstrated not too long ago
when there was a contamination of peanut butter in the USA. Seems one plant
was producing the majority of the PB sold at most of the box stores.

So the high end Peter Pan and low end Wal Mart carried the same codes (which
no one noticed) as they were the same product only difference was the label
and the price.

The distinction was clearly obvious as the TV and FDA were reporting the
same product code and there was a general shortage of those brands on the
store shelves.

I have observed some still claim they can taste the difference. Seems the
reality is the difference is ALL IN THEIR HEADS.

Most of the peanut butters do indeed seem to be made by the same
company. I've been trying various brands this year - major brands and
store brands, even dollar store - and they all taste exactly the same
to me. Now unless they all share recipes... that should be an impossibility.

As for corn flakes... they've all tasted different so far. I prefer (in
Canada) IGA/Sobey's Compliments Corn Flakes over President's Choice,
Kellog's, and various others. Each has its unique taste, though all are
way to sweet. I've bought sugar free flakes at natural food stores and
they are much preferable.

Same with soft drinks - it's all in your head that "Things go better
with Coke" or Pepsi - at twice the price! The 85 cent (or less!) store
brands are every bit as good. My favorite right now is President's
Choice Pomegranate (diet).

-Taliesyn . . . getting hungry, gotta go - NOW!
Old July 27th 07, 04:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Taliesyn wrote:
NotMe wrote:
> [...]

Most of the peanut butters do indeed seem to be made by the same
company. I've been trying various brands this year - major brands and
store brands, even dollar store - and they all taste exactly the same
to me. Now unless they all share recipes... that should be an
impossibility.

As for corn flakes... they've all tasted different so far. I prefer (in
Canada) IGA/Sobey's Compliments Corn Flakes over President's Choice,
Kellog's, and various others. Each has its unique taste, though all are
way to sweet. I've bought sugar free flakes at natural food stores and
they are much preferable.

Same with soft drinks - it's all in your head that "Things go better
with Coke" or Pepsi - at twice the price! The 85 cent (or less!) store
brands are every bit as good. My favorite right now is President's

Not true. And the price difference between Coke and the noname is not
great when you buy Coke on sale. Most do not drink all that much to the
gross difference in spent capital is small. So most do not care.

-Taliesyn . . . getting hungry, gotta go - NOW!

Old July 27th 07, 04:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:30:55 -0400, Taliesyn
wrote:

Most of the peanut butters do indeed seem to be made by the same
company. I've been trying various brands this year - major brands and
store brands, even dollar store - and they all taste exactly the same
to me. Now unless they all share recipes... that should be an impossibility.

Actually, there are a number of differences, and they don't taste the
same. The three major taste categories a

Crazy Richard: peanuts.

A Few Others: peanuts, salt.

Most others: peanuts, sugar, sugar, sugar, salt, salt, salt, partially
hydrogenated peanut oil, preservatives, more preservatives. (Taste
differences between these brands are largely due to differing amounts
of sugar.)

Jim

Old July 27th 07, 05:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:

Not true. And the price difference between Coke and the noname is not
great when you buy Coke on sale. Most do not drink all that much to the
gross difference in spent capital is small. So most do not care.

Spare us your ill informed market wisdom! You know nothing...nothing at
all about the buying habits of the general public and you demonstrate it
with every ignorant post.
Get lost, ok?
And don't ever come back.
Frank
Old July 27th 07, 07:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Taliesyn" wrote in message
(snip)
Same with soft drinks - it's all in your head that "Things go better with
Coke" or Pepsi - at twice the price! The 85 cent (or less!) store
brands are every bit as good. My favorite right now is President's
Choice Pomegranate (diet).

AKA magenta
Burt

-Taliesyn . . . getting hungry, gotta go - NOW!

Old July 29th 07, 06:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default Was: The true cost of printing ink ? NOW: unbranded product

You may very well be correct about peanut butter, since there isn't much
more to it than peanuts and salt (with the better quality) and peanuts,
icing sugar and hydrogenated oils in the lower quality (like Peter Pan
and Walmart). I would hardly call Peter Pan Peanut butter "High End"
(maybe I'd call it overpriced ;-)). There just isn't much you can do to
make peanut butter differently beyond that. Of course, they could use
different types of oils, if they are added at all.

However, your broad logic falls down VERY rapidly when it comes to more
complex products, including corn flakes. Just READ the labels between
the brand name and "non-branded" goods. You'll almost definitely notice
that the order of ingredients is different, the number and types of
additives are different, the types of sugars may be different, as some
sugars are cheaper than others.

I managed a grocery store some years ago, and I had some insight into
the way the brands and product lines were made. While some simpler
product might have been identical.

I buy peanut butter which is a no-name brand, it costs less than Peter
Pan, and it's ingredients: fresh roasted peanuts, salt. Tastes
amazingly like fresh peanuts. Has a short shelf-life. I keep in in the
fridge once open.

The same holds for inks. In most cases, the identical formulation is
not offered due to licensing and patent agreements. There are a lot of
components to printer ink formulas. However, that doesn't mean the 3rd
party product is inferior. In some cases, it might even be superior.

Art

Old July 29th 07, 06:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default WAS: The true cost of printing ink ? NOW: no-name brands

LOL. My wife just picked up this soda pop yesterday for the first time
(ours is the one with real sugar) but it does indeed look like magenta ink!)

Art

Burt wrote:

(snip)

Old July 29th 07, 10:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jerry1111

Jim Ford wrote:
Arthur Entlich wrote:
I haven't seen good ASCII art in years.

[...]

I though it was rather good as well!

Just copied from some webpage (I was actually surprised that those
webpages still exist). So it's not mine, I've no idea who's the author -
but he did a great job with that!

And please, really stop feeding the troll ;-)

--
Jerry1111

Low cost CD printing ..... which printer is ok? baker Printers 1 June 26th 05 04:01 AM
Low Cost Drive Image Option For Cloning Windows NT 4.0. True Image Server Is Expensive Bobby Fischler Storage (alternative) 4 August 19th 04 03:27 AM
Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer? Glum Sp Printers 0 October 1st 03 12:35 AM
Cost of printing? Bob Hosid Printers 16 September 8th 03 05:44 PM
Cost of printing Gary Printers 4 June 30th 03 03:59 AM