How to Flash BIOS?

Old June 14th 08, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

Default How to Flash BIOS?

I can't quite seem to figure out how to flash my P5E BIOS to 0702 from 0607.

When I enter the BIOS and load the flash program, it only sees the A:, C:,
and D:, drives but I can't use any of them. A: is too small for a 2MB BIOS
file, and C: and D: are NTFS.

I do have a FAT32 thumb drive (and other USB harddrives) hooked to the USB
ports, but the flasher sees none of them, just A:, C:, and D:.

So I tried AFUDOS.exe, but that won't work because I've gotta be booted to
Dos and Dos can't access anything but the A: drive (no USB devices) which is
too small for a BIOS file.

So how the heck do I flash the A5E BIOS?

Thanks.

Bruce.

Old June 14th 08, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Reggie Hillier

Use Asus winflash to update it in windows.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us

Old June 14th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

"Reggie Hillier" wrote in message
Use Asus winflash to update it in windows.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us

Are you sure that works for my P5E? It only lists:

W1, S5, Z9, M6, M5, A2, L5, L4, M3, L3, L2, L1, M2, M1, B1, S1, T9, A1F, L8F
and newer series

Bruce.

Old June 14th 08, 01:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

"Bruce." wrote in message
"Reggie Hillier" wrote in message
Use Asus winflash to update it in windows.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us

Are you sure that works for my P5E? It only lists:

W1, S5, Z9, M6, M5, A2, L5, L4, M3, L3, L2, L1, M2, M1, B1, S1, T9, A1F,
L8F and newer series

Ok, thanks Reggie. I missed installing it from the CD that came with the
motherboard. I'm all flashed and updated now.

I guess for the BIOS/Dos flasher to work you have to have access to a FAT
device over 2MB. I had read that I was supposed to be able to flash from a
thumb drive but I couldn't get that to work.

Bruce.

Old June 18th 08, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Anssi Saari

"Bruce." writes:

I guess for the BIOS/Dos flasher to work you have to have access to a FAT
device over 2MB. I had read that I was supposed to be able to flash from a
thumb drive but I couldn't get that to work.

Presumably booting a DOS CD with the DOS flasher and BIOS included
would work as well.
Old June 18th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

"Anssi Saari" wrote in message
Presumably booting a DOS CD with the DOS flasher and BIOS included
would work as well.

That's a good idea too.

Bruce.

Old June 24th 08, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Shane Davenport[_3_]

If you have a newer board use the bios update utility in the bios. Just put
the bios file on a flash drive and go into the utility. What ever you do do
not under any instance use the windows flash unless you want to make a paper
wait.

Old June 24th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bruce.[_2_]

"Shane Davenport" wrote in message
If you have a newer board use the bios update utility in the bios. Just
put
the bios file on a flash drive and go into the utility. What ever you do
do
not under any instance use the windows flash unless you want to make a
paper
wait.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, initially I just couldn't get the USB
drive to be recognized by the BIOS flasher. Before I figured out why not, I
used the Windows Flasher. I'm happy to report that it did work this time,
although I strongly agree with your advice.

What happened was I had a slew of USB devices attached and something was
confusing the flasher. Once I disconnected everything but the thumb drive,
the BIOS flasher saw it immediately.

I was then able to use the BIOS flasher on the second P5E system I built in
the last 2 weeks (mine and my wife's).

Thanks.
Bruce.