Wireless router

Old January 30th 04, 09:09 AM
Tomaz Cedilnik

Default Wireless router

Does anybody know about NetGear 802.11b CBL/DSL Router?

I found it on dabs.co.uk but I'm not sure if that's what I need. It says
in the description that it has NAT firewall (which is what I want).
Looks to me it has a built-in access point for wireless LAN and a UTP
socket for internet (or whichever network your LAN needs to be protected
from). Am I right about that?

Does it also have UTP socket(s) for 'inside' (so that the LAN can be
part wired part wireless)? If not, I also have to buy a wireless network
card for my desktop (my laptop already has one). If yes, do I need a
normal or crossover cable?

About the UTP cable between the router and the cable modem - does it
have to be the same kind as for between PC and the modem or the opposite
(normal versus crossover)?

My laptop's manual mentions (in the section about wireless LAN)
peer-to-peer - is that meant without access point? I was told you always
need an access point for wireless LAN.

Thank you

--
_______
/__ __/___ __ __

Old January 30th 04, 10:21 AM
kony

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:09:22 +0000, Tomaz Cedilnik
wrote:

[...]

If you mean this router:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2HZ6
It has 4 RJ45 ports for UTP cable, and one for the modem. None of the
cables need be crossover, standard cables are what you need. It
"might" even come with a cable or two in the box.

You do not need a wireless card for the desktop if you get that (or
any other router), since it has 4 ports and a switch integrated in it,
as do most wifi routers these days.

Peer to Peer can be done with only two wireless systems, no access
point/router/etc are needed. So it's theoretically possible to buy
only a wireless card for the desktop, no router, and use Windows' ICS
for internet sharing, but it's far better to get a router, an extra
(actually, FIRST) layer of security and eliminating the need for the
notebook to rely on the desktop in any way.

However, that router looks obscenely expensive for what it is, the
last router I bought ended up costing $10 USD after a rebate, though
more commonly they're around $60 USB but with ever frequent sales.
Old January 30th 04, 04:21 PM
Paul Hopwood

Tomaz Cedilnik wrote:

Does it also have UTP socket(s) for 'inside' (so that the LAN can be
part wired part wireless)?

Yes, as do most wireless access points. None except the very smallest
networks are entirely wireless.

If not, I also have to buy a wireless network
card for my desktop (my laptop already has one). If yes, do I need a
normal or crossover cable?

The router has an in-built switch so you need a normal "straight"
cable.

About the UTP cable between the router and the cable modem - does it
have to be the same kind as for between PC and the modem or the opposite
(normal versus crossover)?

Again straight, but I think NetGear equipment come with the cables you
need.

My laptop's manual mentions (in the section about wireless LAN)
peer-to-peer - is that meant without access point? I was told you always
need an access point for wireless LAN.

They are not strictly necessary; if all the devices which need to
communicate with each other have wireless interfaces you can run them
in ad-hoc or peer-to-peer mode.

A Wireless Access Point allows you to bridge across different network
media, e.g. wireless to ethernet, or will act as repeater to extend
the coverage beyond the range of an individual device. Most home
users require one because they want to route traffic between their
wireless network and the Internet, and possibly other "wired" devices.

If you only wanted to be able to connect your laptop to the desktop,
to share files and your printer for example, you could use wireless
cards in each, running in ad-hoc mode. However you won't be able to
access other network resources, such as the Internet connection,
without additional hardware or software.

--
iv Paul iv

Old February 4th 04, 08:04 PM
Tomaz Cedilnik

kony wrote:

Does anybody know about NetGear 802.11b CBL/DSL Router?

If you mean this router:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2HZ6

No, I mean this one:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=2HC9

What connection do I have to the cable modem? I expect UTP... What's the
main difference between these two then?

--
_______
/__ __/___ __ __

Old February 4th 04, 08:23 PM
kony

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:04:33 +0000, Tomaz Cedilnik
wrote:

kony wrote:

Does anybody know about NetGear 802.11b CBL/DSL Router?

If you mean this router:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2HZ6

No, I mean this one:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=2HC9

What connection do I have to the cable modem? I expect UTP... What's the
main difference between these two then?

The one you linked also has a built-in switch, and 4 or 5 lan ports,
and the uplink port for a cable modem. You don't need special or
crossover cables for it either, just standard UTP CAT5 will do fine.

I don't know the difference.

Toshiba Satellite laptop and Netgear does not see Router Karolus des Reyches197 General 23 February 2nd 04 10:41 PM
Wireless Network Upgrade Smith General 5 January 24th 04 10:27 PM
Wireless Belkin networking - another easy install [email protected] General 4 December 21st 03 06:18 AM
Linksys router and PPPoE disconnect? :-| Martin Ohlsson General 0 December 13th 03 07:54 PM
Having trouble with one computer connecting to a wireless router which is connected to ADSL modem. Casey Hawthorne General 0 December 7th 03 03:51 AM