Major upgrade

Old April 22nd 19, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Major upgrade

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:31:02 +0200, Yrrah
wrote:

Rene Lamontagne :

Intel i7 8700 CPU $400

Why Intel, why not an AMD Ryzen CPU?

Yrrah

Or a AMD3+ FX-8300 8-Core. $60 in the Chinese pull market, $70 in a
US pull. They've went up, in the used market, since I bought mine
(new retail hasn't dropped in price, still) for $90.

The fast Ryzen octal is close enough, $300 for the faster model, and a
slow one $200, although prices on the faster model has recently
dropped in occasional sales to as low as $200.

A new MB for the FX-8300 is a third less than the CPU. I bought two
of the same model MBs for $120.

Octal in one, the other this:

AMD FX-Series FX-4100 Zambezi FD4100WMW4KGU Socket AM3+ 95W CPU
Subtotal $24.50
Shipping Free
Grand total: $24.50
Think it's from the Korean used CPU market pulls.

This pull gets run harder, draws around 50-watts at peak 50% average
thread usages across cores at 4GHz.

Also have an Amd Phenom II X4 810 - 2.6Ghz for under $30 pulled. A
backup CPU, but that's that, $200 for two working computers (2 configs
for two new Mem modules, two used CPUs, and 2 new MBs).

An octal core then isn't as much a luxury but actually hauls butt in
the right conditions. When it doesn't, there's more inactive blank
cores to look at than four.

What do you get with a Ryzen ... you get non-SATA SSDs.

Reminds me when I sat and watched, over a course of a year or two,
Intel sitting fat and large from 386SX prices, until a likes of
(pre-AMD) Texas Instruments or Cyrix came out with more suitable
offerings and drastic reductions. The 386SX was effectively my first
and last Intel, until my last system, recently, a quad Intel q8200
that got blown-up by a lightning strike. I'd updated that motherboard
four times with Intel CPU used pulls from Ebay. And then I replaced
it with AMD (AMD3+ socket version) octal.

Think of it as like an option not to buy a car with $10K worth of
things like $1000 worth of mandatory, four transmitting, radio battery
valve stems, among accessories, when opting out from $300 MBs and
CPUs.

Yes, indeed, it's back to life's bleak hardships with six SATA ports
and MB-chipped video for playing freeware LucasChess. It's breaking
my balls.
Old April 22nd 19, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

On 04/22/2019 8:31 AM, Yrrah wrote:
Rene Lamontagne :

Intel i7 8700 CPU $400

Why Intel, why not an AMD Ryzen CPU?

Yrrah

I haven't used an AMD CPU for many years but when I did use them they
were A,OK and I am sure they are even better now, the chip sets were the
reason I went to Intel, I suppose they too are much improved now.
I know The Intel may cost more but I am more familiar with them and they
have not given me any problems.
As far as video cards My choice is AMD over Nvidia
BTW what would be a Ryzen equivalent to an Intel i8700 Coffee lake?

Thanks, Rene

Old April 22nd 19, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 10:17:12 -0500, Rene Lamontagne
wrote:

I haven't used an AMD CPU for many years but when I did use them they
were A,OK and I am sure they are even better now, the chip sets were the
reason I went to Intel, I suppose they too are much improved now.
I know The Intel may cost more but I am more familiar with them and they
have not given me any problems.
As far as video cards My choice is AMD over Nvidia
BTW what would be a Ryzen equivalent to an Intel i8700 Coffee lake?

Thanks, Rene

About half, if you act now, as much for an Intel at half the wattage.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...AOSwVHFcu9l K

Or roughly the same disadvantage at parity on wattage.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11391847-in...-free-shipping
https://slickdeals.net/f/10869331-am...bcaewof-ac-295
https://slickdeals.net/f/12946618-am...00x-300-newegg

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar.../3937vsm340638
Better utilization of more cores in one if not both cases where that
can be predetermined for suited to applicability.

An octal 7 and Threadripper look to be a bad mambo on encodes.
Old April 22nd 19, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
On 04/22/2019 8:31 AM, Yrrah wrote:
Rene Lamontagne :

Intel i7 8700 CPU $400

Why Intel, why not an AMD Ryzen CPU?

Yrrah

I haven't used an AMD CPU for many years but when I did use them they
were A,OK and I am sure they are even better now, the chip sets were the
reason I went to Intel, I suppose they too are much improved now.
I know The Intel may cost more but I am more familiar with them and they
have not given me any problems.
As far as video cards My choice is AMD over Nvidia
BTW what would be a Ryzen equivalent to an Intel i8700 Coffee lake?

Thanks, Rene

You can work this out using cpubenchmark.

AMDs premise, is to give you more on multithreading,
rather than have the highest clock*IPC on single threaded
benches. Games need some of each. "Highest clock" for
the boss thread, "Moar cores" to the extent that other
parts of the game (AI, map prefetch) can be parallelized.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html # single threaded, highest clock
# The most common operations use this.

Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz 2,630 # $420 CDN
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 2,231 # $800 CDN, mobo++, large socket
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 2,193 # $420 CDN

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html # "towing capacity"
# 7zip goes faster, movie enc goes faster

Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz 15,153 # $420 CDN
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 22,044 # $800 CDN, mobo++, large socket
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 16,985 # $420 CDN

AMD clock*IPC cannot quite match Intel clock*IPC.
That's why the single thread results are lower.

AMD sometimes has a higher clock at the same price, but
the IPC (Instructions Per Clock) is a bit lower, and so
head-to-head single thread, AMD loses.

AMD compensates by trying to use more cores.

Usually on AMD, when the core count is extremely high,
the bench results become confused. For example, I might
expect to see a higher 7ZIP bench, with all that silicon
sitting there, and the results are instead, disappointing.
Then I don't know if this is Microsofts fault (scheduler),
Igors fault (wrong compiler), or AMDs fault
(flimsy connection to DRAM channels).

Anyway, those two pages are a start, but not the entire story.
There are always particular benchmark tests, where one of
the players falls flat. "Single point measurements" like
the above, are flawed, but they're easy to write up
in a USENET post.

Paul
Old April 22nd 19, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

On 04/22/2019 1:38 PM, Paul wrote:
Rene Lamontagne wrote:
On 04/22/2019 8:31 AM, Yrrah wrote:
Rene Lamontagne :
Â*Â* Intel i7 8700 CPUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â* $400

Why Intel, why not an AMD Ryzen CPU?

Yrrah

I haven't used an AMD CPU for many years but when I did use them they
were A,OK and I am sure they are even better now, the chip sets were
the reason I went to Intel, I suppose they too are much improved now.
I know The Intel may cost more but I am more familiar with them and
they have not given me any problems.
As far as video cards My choice is AMD over Nvidia
BTW what would be a Ryzen equivalent to an Intel i8700 Coffee lake?

Thanks, Rene

You can work this out using cpubenchmark.

AMDs premise, is to give you more on multithreading,
rather than have the highest clock*IPC on single threaded
benches. Games need some of each. "Highest clock" for
the boss thread, "Moar cores" to the extent that other
parts of the game (AI, map prefetch) can be parallelized.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.htmlÂ*Â*Â* # single threaded,
highest clock
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # The most common
operations use this.

Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHzÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â* 2,630Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # $420 CDN
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920XÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â* 2,231Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # $800 CDN, mobo++,
large socket
AMD Ryzen 7 2700XÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 2,193Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # $420 CDN

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.htmlÂ*Â* # "towing capacity"
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # 7zip goes faster,
movie enc goes faster

Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHzÂ*Â*Â*Â* 15,153Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # $420 CDN
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920XÂ*Â*Â*Â* 22,044Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # $800 CDN, mobo++,
large socket
AMD Ryzen 7 2700XÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 16,985Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # $420 CDN

[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Yep, when I am ready to do this I will stick to the Intel i7 8700to as
it suits my purposes best. Will post back before I begin, not sure when.

Rene

Old April 22nd 19, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 14:38:50 -0400, Paul wrote:

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
BTW what would be a Ryzen equivalent to an Intel i8700 Coffee lake?

You can work this out using cpubenchmark.

AMDs premise, is to give you more on multithreading,
rather than have the highest clock*IPC on single threaded
benches. Games need some of each. "Highest clock" for
the boss thread, "Moar cores" to the extent that other
parts of the game (AI, map prefetch) can be parallelized.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html # single threaded, highest clock
# The most common operations use this.

Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz 2,630 # $420 CDN
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 2,231 # $800 CDN, mobo++, large socket
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 2,193 # $420 CDN

snip

When I was shopping a few months ago, the AMD equivalent to the Intel
8700 was indeed the Ryzen 7 2700X, which was US$280 at the time,
compared to US$310 for the Intel 8700. I didn't choose the Ryzen because
it doesn't have onboard graphics. A couple of the lesser Ryzens do have
onboard GPU, but then they were less comparable to the 8700. Things may
have changed by now. Even as recently as a few months ago, I was hearing
rumors that AMD was going to add another GPU-equipped CPU to the
line-up, but the concern was that they'd have to get rid of something
(some number of CPU cores) to make room on the die for the GPU. Rather
than waiting to see what was about to happen, I went with the 8700.

Old April 23rd 19, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
[...]

When I decide to go ahead I will try the CPU graphics and see if they
will be good enough for the lite gaming I do, if so That will save me
about $250 CDN, if not I can get a new Video card later or use my
existing HD 5850.

Rene

Old April 24th 19, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
BTW what would be a Ryzen equivalent to an Intel i8700 Coffee lake?

You can work this out using cpubenchmark.

AMDs premise, is to give you more on multithreading,
rather than have the highest clock*IPC on single threaded
benches. Games need some of each. "Highest clock" for
the boss thread, "Moar cores" to the extent that other
parts of the game (AI, map prefetch) can be parallelized.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.htmlÂ*Â*Â* # single threaded,
highest clock
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* # The most common
[...]

The computer gods must have been watching me, this morning I heard a
kinda funny noise from my system so I pulled the side panel and there
was my GPU fan and shroud laying on the PSU spinning merrily away.
I pulled the Video card out and found the 2 little plastic posts broken
off, the other 2 had never been attached from the factory.
So to try and repair it properly would have meant removing the large
heatsink/pipe assembly. So instead I used 2 sets of tiewraps to hold it
all back together.
So I guess that was the signal to get going, so tonight after doing
price checking at 4 online stores as folows.

Amazon.ca
Memory express.ca
Newegg.ca
Walmart.ca
I chose Amazon as being the lowest price.

I ordered the following parts
Asus Z390 prime Motherboard
Intel i7 8700 CPU
G.skill 3200 trident memory- 16GB
Coolermaster hyper 212 evo cooler

I did not order the video card ,as per Char jacksons post saying the
CPU/GPU onboard graphics may be adequate, will give them a try first.
Will post again when all parts are received.

Rene

Old April 24th 19, 06:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
[...]

PRIME Z390-A $250CDN One DisplayPort on I/O plate
One HDMI on I/O plate
Purchase an active adapter to make a VGA signal
(I own one of each, and they're "transparent")

8700 res-out
Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4) 4096x2304 @ 24Hz (drop res for 60Hz...)
Max Resolution (DP) 4096x2304 @ 60Hz

8700 graphics UHD 630
24 EU
192 Shaders
(likely with some flavor of QuickSync video block)

You didn't mention your current video card, or I'd
have stuffed it into the table.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Intel UHD 630 1202 passmark G3D === your CPU graphics
Radeon HD 4870 1382 (historical reference)
GeForce GTX 1050 4688 passmark G3D (don't buy 1030, 1050 has NVenc encoder)
Radeon RX 580 8447 passmark G3D Your proposal
GeForce GTX 1660 11022 passmark G3D RTX generation (but with raytracing off?)

Anyway, you can mine that Passmark web table for comparisons to
what you've got.

Paul
Old April 24th 19, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

wrote:

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
[...]

Should have mentioned

Radeon HD 5850 which seems to give me passmark of 763, so the UHD 630
should be a fair amount better.
I have HDMI in on my Asus MX279 27 inch IPS monitor, so I guess I
shouldn't need an adaptor (I think).

Rene

Win 8 MAJOR annoyance Steve W.[_4_] Dell Computers 2 August 15th 13 04:21 AM
Major DVI problems Donut@shop Ati Videocards 3 April 2nd 07 04:21 AM
Major Problem Please Help Christo Homebuilt PC's 5 September 28th 06 10:11 PM
Major Troubles JD General Hardware 4 December 9th 03 03:10 AM
MAJOR PROBLEM WITH PC!!! PLEASE HELP! Robert Abramson Overclocking AMD Processors 9 September 10th 03 03:30 AM