Quiet, cheap case...besides Sonata

Old September 16th 03, 01:20 AM
Mitchua

Default Quiet, cheap case...besides Sonata

I'm looking for a nice quiet case for a new quiet system I'm building. I've
read through silentpcreview.com and all the cases they recommend are
expensive ($200+) like the Lian Li PC-6070 or have a loud PSU like the Antec
Sonata. Has anyone encoutered a sub-$120 case that has good construction,
sound-proofing, and comes with features like a quiet PSU or 120mm case fans?
A front-door would be best since my DVD-ROM is as loud as a jet taking off.

Thanks a lot,
Mitchua

Old September 16th 03, 03:09 AM
Alan W. Blackmon

Are you wanting to build an AMD or Intel system? I have been building AMD
for several years and this last weekend built a P4 system. Wow, the system
temps were lower and the noise so much lower.

Alan in Boise
able.rogers.com...

Old September 16th 03, 03:28 AM
Mitchua

I know what you mean. I'm trying to escape a 1800+ right now on an Asus
board that runs pretty hot (at least 49Celcius). A friend told me that the
P4's run a lot cooler, and hence, don't need the huge noisy heatsinks/fans.
Actually, I saw a P4 running with an undervolted stock heatsink/fan quite
comfortably. However, checking out temperature readings online, they still
seem to run above 40Celcius. That's why I thought for the extra $100 that a
P4 would cost me, I might as well buy a nice case and a Zalman 7000CU quiet
heatsink or something. Make sense?

--Jonathan

"Alan W. Blackmon" wrote in message
Are you wanting to build an AMD or Intel system? I have been building AMD
for several years and this last weekend built a P4 system. Wow, the

system
temps were lower and the noise so much lower.

Alan in Boise
able.rogers.com...

Old September 16th 03, 04:43 AM
Thunder9

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:20:38 GMT, "Mitchua" wrote:

I'm looking for a nice quiet case for a new quiet system I'm building. I've
read through silentpcreview.com and all the cases they recommend are
expensive ($200+) like the Lian Li PC-6070 or have a loud PSU like the Antec
Sonata. Has anyone encoutered a sub-$120 case that has good construction,
sound-proofing, and comes with features like a quiet PSU or 120mm case fans?
A front-door would be best since my DVD-ROM is as loud as a jet taking off.

Thanks a lot,
Mitchua

Wow that's an awesome site - thanks for just asking the question now I
have some reading to do. Are you considering getting a full tower
case? My understanding is they are better for cooling.
Old September 16th 03, 10:09 AM
kony

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:28:12 GMT, "Mitchua" wrote:

I know what you mean. I'm trying to escape a 1800+ right now on an Asus
board that runs pretty hot (at least 49Celcius). A friend told me that the
P4's run a lot cooler, and hence, don't need the huge noisy heatsinks/fans.
Actually, I saw a P4 running with an undervolted stock heatsink/fan quite
comfortably. However, checking out temperature readings online, they still
seem to run above 40Celcius. That's why I thought for the extra $100 that a
P4 would cost me, I might as well buy a nice case and a Zalman 7000CU quiet
heatsink or something. Make sense?

A P4 may idle at lower temp but a properly designed system will have
enough cooling for the CPU's full-load state. Through careful
selection of thermally-controlled fans the P4 system can be quiter at
low-load, but if the system is hardly ever running near full-load, the
better solution might be a slower CPU (even within same family of CPU)
and reducing the CPU core voltage if possible. Manufacturers spec the
default cpu voltage to cover a range of speeds and yields to make
implentation easier for motherbaord manufacturers, but the particular
specimen of CPU dictates the actual voltage needed to retain stability
at a given frequency of operation. Given the willness to test the
stability and a motherboard with CPU core voltage options (or modding
the CPU and/or board to accomplish same end result), heat ouput can be
reduced by only using enough voltage to keep the CPU stable, but of
course the closer you come to the bare minimum voltage, the more
extensive (and lengthly) the stability testing process must be.

When considering prices, first budget for a well-designed case and
optimal 3rd party fans for that case, or have a willingness to mod a
less-optimal case. Then budget for a good aftermarket heatsink (and
3rd party fan if 'sink doesn't come with EXACTLY what you want).
These items make the most difference, would allow use of either (P4 or
Athlon) without cooling issues, at relatively low-to-quiet noise
levels except in the most extreme of conditions. Always provide
adequate case & heatsink for the system to be running 24/7 at full
load. If they system hardly ever runs at full load then careful
selection of thermally-throttled fans (or add-on fan controller) might
be worthwhile, and/or reduce CPU speed and core voltage as
forementioned.

49C isn't all that hot for a CPU, they are designed to operate fine at
this temp given a stable motherboard (power). More significant might
be the other components subject to lifespan reduction at higher temps,
like hard drives, motherboard power regulation circuits (capacitors).

Dave
Old September 16th 03, 02:28 PM
Mitchua

"Thunder9" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. The main thing for cooling is
getting a stream of cool air from the bottom-front of the case to the
top-back going across the motherboard over the CPU. That's why cases with
vents in the side, etc. (like the one I have now) are bull****. All they do
is leave more holes for noise to travel out of.

I've seen a lot of full towers that would require at least 2 120mm fans to
exhaust all the air in them :-) I'm looking for a mid-tower.

--Mitchua

Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Case Reset Button Woes rcm General 5 July 25th 03 06:02 PM
How is this case? --> Fudin ATX-228P 350W Mid Tower ATX Case phantom General 0 July 13th 03 02:49 AM
Antec Sonata case front panel firewire port online General 1 July 11th 03 01:32 AM