Danger Will Rogers: UDMA Drive Cheksum S.M.A.R.T. Talking

Old April 23rd 19, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Danger Will Rogers: UDMA Drive Cheksum S.M.A.R.T. Talking

Never heard a 6G/s SATA cable, stuck in between vanes in plugged
run-away thermal CPU cooler fan, up and get smart before.

But I did lose a mechanical HDD, not altogether so long ago, due to
deteriorating sector-seek errors of an unrelated and unknown state of
failure. Symptomatic of a grinding OS interrupts for a common enough
occurrence corresponding to anomalies accompanied by inordinate HDD
activity. Not sure there's anything most of all indicative of the
condition in that particular drive's S.M.A.R.T. table, although it did
leave a most particular taste in my mouth.

And that's precisely what, as well and also, I saw, when I so happened
to notice I'd stuck my used Korean Fx-series CPU into its upper
thermal limits. It happened, apparently independently upon its own
initiative, because, once I'd corrected to regain normal CPU
temperatures, the affected HDD activity imperfectly remained in a
condition out of operational tolerances.

Despite conjectural coincidences relating to abnormalities affecting
the CPU.

A new cable has since proven itself indicative, along with cleaning
both its and the HDD data-transfer contacts, of regaining proper
storage operations.

My SATA cables are of a non-binding nature, most conveniently, or so I
thought, lent to removal with little more effort than by simply
pulling either cable's end off, from either the MB or their HDD
assignments.

That is neither an apparent truism: All my cables must thus and
therefore be flawed, for inferior design implementations of
engineering. Today I sent off for replacement cables, a dozen in
quantity, each comprising both straight and 90-degree connections.

Each connection, in order to correct on these new and superior
designs, must be first released by a flexible metal lever, which in
turn forces a bind between the data-connectors, so to be permanently
engaged, until the metal lever is again forcefully expanded for
failsafe intent of connectivity.

In marketing terms that would be: In with new and out and over the
shoulder with anything less: Every HDD must get a new cable.
Old April 23rd 19, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 02:06:20 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

In marketing terms that would be: In with new and out and over the
shoulder with anything less: Every HDD must get a new cable.

Cables are the new *bad guys*. I've changed mine at least six
times in the last year or so. Different brands, cleaned, polished or
just out of the box (cellophane really).

Western Digital:

4/17/quarta-feira 15:02:05,S.M.A.R.T. 199 (Ultra ATA CRC Error Count):
35 - 58 : Attribute changed

blabla

4/23/terça-feira 15:50:31,S.M.A.R.T. 199 (Ultra ATA CRC Error Count):
90 - 92 : Attribute changed

My Seagate is in the high 300's Ultra ATA CRC Error Count

All other SMART attributes are OK.

I froze when I first heard the beeps. I thought they were BIOS
codes for failing RAM, until I remembered HDSentinel was installed, so
I turned "audible alerts" off.
Sucks, huh ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old April 24th 19, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 18:07:46 -0300, Shadow wrote:

Cables are the new *bad guys*. I've changed mine at least six
times in the last year or so. Different brands, cleaned, polished or
just out of the box (cellophane really).

Western Digital:

4/17/quarta-feira 15:02:05,S.M.A.R.T. 199 (Ultra ATA CRC Error Count):
35 - 58 : Attribute changed

blabla

4/23/terça-feira 15:50:31,S.M.A.R.T. 199 (Ultra ATA CRC Error Count):
90 - 92 : Attribute changed

My Seagate is in the high 300's Ultra ATA CRC Error Count

All other SMART attributes are OK.

I froze when I first heard the beeps. I thought they were BIOS
codes for failing RAM, until I remembered HDSentinel was installed, so
I turned "audible alerts" off.
Sucks, huh ?

No more than jacking up a vehicle to crawl under and change the oil.
Cheap insurance I can do.

Estimated delivery Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019
5x 18" SATA 3.0 Cable SATA3 III 6GB/s Right Angle 90 Degree for HDD
Hard Drive
Total Item price $11.90
Quantity 2
Shipping service Economy Shipping free

First time, really, I've considered it. Ran with those old "slip-on"
cables for 10 years without issues. That other (more of recent) HDD
that failed was likely failing from constant use.

That I screwed up and blocked my CPU fan and overheated it, then to
turn up HDD CRC errors (on the above's replacement) -- I'm sure I'd
have checked if I could have partially knocked out the MB's SATA
cable, (also while modifying, cutting metal and bending it, on the
back of the case for an bad fitting on a PCI soundcard).

When I saw the HDD erroring, slowing down, pulled and tested it for no
problems from an external USB docking station -- then, a cable swap
and contact cleaning for fault-free reinstallation -- well, it annoys
me. And I'll be annoyed if these new cables turn up with any faults.

Actually, I was looking at a Western Digital 4G Blue on a sale,
comparing it to the one-up Red model that costs twice as much and gets
a lot of positive reviews in enterprise/IT placements. The Blue
turned out (on price comparison matrices) really as much a sale as a
come-on advertisement, so the idea occurred to buy more cables. (Got
to fix my compulsion be dicking with, looking to make a better
mouse-trap out of a computer.)

Hope your feeling better from the flu;- change of S.A. seasons.

Estimated delivery Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019
[...]

Depending on the age of the motherboard the SATA sockets may not have
the modification on them that allows the newer cables to grab onto.

Running some older stuff I have here I have had the cables come loose
from vibration or what ever a time or two. I even had one older SATA
DVD drive which the newer cables would not "grab onto the socket" like
they will with the newer DVD models. Close the drive door too hard and
the cable sometimes came loose until I installed a newer DVD drive.
Old April 24th 19, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 06:34:51 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

Depending on the age of the motherboard the SATA sockets may not have
the modification on them that allows the newer cables to grab onto.

Running some older stuff I have here I have had the cables come loose
from vibration or what ever a time or two. I even had one older SATA
DVD drive which the newer cables would not "grab onto the socket" like
they will with the newer DVD models. Close the drive door too hard and
the cable sometimes came loose until I installed a newer DVD drive.

Can't recall running into that, just thought the slip-on design more
practical and avoided the clip-on clasps up until now. I may have
that contingency, as you say, and haven't noticed. I don't often use
DVDs these days, although when they're indispensable when called for
(drivers and build utilities). I've a couple super rugged, go-to ASUS
DVDs, but also some relatively ancient DVDs. Good thing to remember
in case I ever hook them up, to keep both SATA cable varieties around.
(Sometimes firmware recognition of optical discs can be a real
crap-shot over time between when discs and drives get purchased.
For instance, an old disc may not bad, once matched an older parallel
interface or SATA drive, to where a newer drive errors to time out and
won't have anything to do with the older disc.)

As for the MB's, they're fine for newer (than oldest last generation)
AMD3+ socket setups. My oldest HDD is WD 500G, which in theory
shouldn't take to the newer cables if you're right. I'll keep that it
in mind, though, when the cables do arrive. Can see otherwise
initially running into a jam, going 'what in the hell is this... '.

Rest of the HDD drives are 1T/btye+ capacities, the "main purpose",
least to mention big-butted HDDs are serious business ... some damn
nickel-dime cable is going throw it a fit of CRC errors. I think not.
Old April 24th 19, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

wrote:

[...]

A little confusion here I think. The old slip-on and newer clip-on will
function just fine on either type connector. The only problem I've had
is the clip-on cables just revert back to slip-on functionality when
attached to the older devices not designed for them. The little stub or
nub the clip is supposed to grab is just not there.

Estimated delivery Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019
[...]

My ASUS MB is just over a year old. I bought an extra set of
cables with the order, and more since. The HD is younger (I bought a
Seagate, but that crashed without warning after ~4 month's
use(chipset) - no warranty, I'm a doctor and not allowed to hand in
media that contains patient information), so I replaced it with a WD.
The other Seagate with 300 errors is old, at least 5 years (
used as a temp backup. I use a USB HD for the "real" data backup)
So I think the problem is probably mass produced poor quality
cables. The price might vary a lot, but they all look the same.
[]'s

Old April 24th 19, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 10:31:03 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

A little confusion here I think. The old slip-on and newer clip-on will
function just fine on either type connector. The only problem I've had
is the clip-on cables just revert back to slip-on functionality when
attached to the older devices not designed for them. The little stub or
nub the clip is supposed to grab is just not there.

OK. I got it now. Hadn't noticed that, but as I said I'd avoided the
occasional use one or two clip-ons I do actually have.
Old April 24th 19, 11:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 17:42:10 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

OK. I got it now. Hadn't noticed that, but as I said I'd avoided the
occasional use one or two clip-ons I do actually have.

Clips-on seem to function OK with what I do have, so far, in older
1-2T HDDs - older than 5 years, perhaps not quite approaching 10
years. They could be mostly Samsung plattered drives, (without
delving for brandnames in a stack of half a dozen I keep for storage
and a potential of rotating into constant service).

I've only one clip-on that's been in constant usage, and that's also
been the only cable used for a 128G Samsung SSD, a drive that by now
is 5 or more years old. I've do have a 64G Samsung SSD, certainly
over 5 years, but it's never had attached other than a non-clipped
slip-on cable.

I suppose, in sum, I've never noticed, if yet encountered, a clip-on
that reverted to other than fastening securely in lock fashion as
intended.

I do, however, have three working 200G Seagate drives, boxed and in
storage: two early SATA conventions which surpassed the one remaining
parallel, I have, in the same basic 200G series Seagate model. Now,
that's going on back into a 15-year-old interface, which should work
as you're describing, where the clip-on reverts to a dual-function
backwards compatibility.

The Seagates are an arm's reach from this 8-foot Office Depot
fold-out-leg table, I'm sitting at. Opening heavy-vinyl HDD storage
cases, looking for a clipped cable ... naahhh. (Espresso coffee ...
yeahhhh.) Maybe mañana, when the new cables arrive.