Cookies lag your browser

Old January 7th 19, 02:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Cookies lag your browser

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:22:23 AM UTC+1, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:58:13 -0500, Bill wrote:

wrote:
Cookies and other "persistent data" from websites is a lagging your browser and system as follows:

I use "CCleaner" to delete mine almost every day. Cookies are
not going to go away any sooner than commercials are going to
disappear from radio and television. May as well get CCleaner,
and "fight the good fight".

If cookies were ever going to "go away", we'd need something very
similar to replace them. They provide a ton of functionality that people
wouldn't be happy to give up. Also, contrary to the claims made in the
first post in this thread, they don't cause lag, slowdowns,
fragmentation, or anything else of that sort.

You wrong about that.

This can be easily seen/monitored via resource monitor from task manager.

Also these cookies are stored in little files.

Each of these little files has to be seeked, causing huge ammounts of i/o wasted on these seeks.

One simple improvement would be if Firefox stores these cookies in a single file.

Though if cookies grow and shrink it might become a bit troublesome.

One idea could be to allocate some additional space per cookie.

Though I would rather see cookies go completely... at least the nags screens... boy are those annoying.

For those that use CCCleaners and delete cookies ? How do you cope with the nag screens ?

Bye,
Skybuck
Old January 7th 19, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

On 01/06/2019 6:55 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 17:54:10 -0600, Rene Lamontagne
wrote:

On 01/06/2019 5:40 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 10:25:41 -0600, Rene Lamontagne
wrote:

On 01/06/2019 10:05 AM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 01:06:28 -0500, Bill wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:

HTTP is a stateless protocol. Cookies provide the illusion of
statefulness. The web would be very different without cookies.

Yes, we would have more privacy.

We don't know that, but it seems incredibly unlikely that whatever is
cooked up to replace cookies would be more respectful of user privacy.

I'd swap the browser remembering my username for that.

You don't need cookies for that.

How about cookies at the
clients discretion instead of in the form of an "information
grab".

AFAIK, all browsers already allow users to enable/disable cookies, and
have from the beginning.

As you know, you can't even use a number of web sites
without allowing them their use of cookies

Exactly. That's why, if cookies were to disappear for some reason, which
itself is highly unlikely, the functionality they provide would have to
be developed in another way. Would we be better off in the long run? I
don't see how.

Well, we could have Candies or donuts! Me, I like Maple Fudge :-) :-)

So no tapioca pudding, then? :-)

Nope, but I love breaded Pickerel fillets or Walleye as yo call them,
followed by Saskatoon pie. :-)

I'm not familiar with those, but pickled herring is pretty good.

Yup, on crackers.

Rene

Old January 7th 19, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

wrote:
[...]

I store my cookies in round cookie tins. :-)

Rene

Old January 7th 19, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:
[...]

If you're seeing huge amounts of I/O related to cookies, something is
wrong. That's not normal at all.

One simple improvement would be if Firefox stores these cookies in a single file.

Though if cookies grow and shrink it might become a bit troublesome.

One idea could be to allocate some additional space per cookie.

Though I would rather see cookies go completely... at least the nags screens... boy are those annoying.

What's a cookie nag screen? I don't think I've seen or heard of that.

Old January 7th 19, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Firefox cookies are stored in "cookies.sqlite", a single file.

Firefox databases are cross-coupled. You should not edit an
sqlite file, unless using a browser plugin designed for the job.
It is more likely to remove entries across all the sqlite files,
and do it properly.

Seamonkey (a browser derived from Firefox), has a built-in cookie
manager, which allows sqlite edits. There is no convenience function
to delete all cookies in one shot. Instead, you must do the
cookies *one by one* as a form of computer punishment.

Internet Explorer might save cookies as individual files.
Since I don't use IE for surfing, I really don't care how
those are stored. There should not be any.

MSEdge went from the individual file model of Internet Explorer,
back to using a database for them.

When a user disables cookies in the browser, the web site simply
switches to DOM storage, and the DOM storage settings
may be less obvious. On Seamonkey, there is no cleaner for
DOM storage, and I erase them manually. Some of Seamonkey
resources can be set to "delete on shutdown", but DOM storage
is not covered by that.

Browsers can be deceptive when they offer "erase history".
When you do that on Seamonkey, nothing happens. The menu
option is unhooked. If you set the browser to "delete on shutdown",
that covers a portion of the tracking information, but not all
of it. Your job as a browser user, is to figure out what
storage modes are persistent, and delete them in the Trash
Can.

If you delete *all* the sqlite files in Firefox, the Google
"filter" sqlite, the one built by a download happening every
day, that one will need to be downloaded again. Consequently,
you might end up repeating a 70-100MB download each day, if you
delete everything. They were very careful to design the resources
so just about everything you do has "side effects".

For Firefox, I can't find an SQlite Browser for Quantum
(latest) browser versions. Maybe there isn't one ?

Paul