Dropped my CPU chip "pin" side down

Old October 24th 05, 01:30 AM
KingOfHearts

Default Dropped my CPU chip "pin" side down

Tried removing the stock fan/heatsink to install a custom one and when I
pulled it up, the AMD 64 chip came with it. Well, I didn't think the chip
was suppose to come with it right? It was stuck to the Artic Silver 5
thermal paste. Well anyways, as I pulled it up, it slipped out of my hands
and fell into the cpu and about 10 of the pins on the chip were bent. I am
alreadly concluding that the chip is ruined and that I have to buy a new
one, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I tried taking tweezers and
straightening them out, but it very hard to get them straight.

Old October 24th 05, 01:37 AM
Clark

I would guess it isn't ruined, unless the jolt broke some connection
inside. You are right, though, you have to be very careful while
straightening the pins, if you break one off -- it is shot. Try to get
them close enough so you can use the socket to help finish the job.

Clark

Old October 24th 05, 02:22 AM
Michael C

"KingOfHearts" wrote in message
Tried removing the stock fan/heatsink to install a custom one and when I
pulled it up, the AMD 64 chip came with it. Well, I didn't think the chip
was suppose to come with it right? It was stuck to the Artic Silver 5
thermal paste. Well anyways, as I pulled it up, it slipped out of my
hands and fell into the cpu and about 10 of the pins on the chip were
bent. I am alreadly concluding that the chip is ruined and that I have to
buy a new one, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I tried taking
tweezers and straightening them out, but it very hard to get them
straight.

You should have no problems, I've bent them back many times for customers
who bent them when I was working at a wholesaler. They don't have to be
super straight.

Michael

Old October 24th 05, 02:27 AM
John McGaw

KingOfHearts wrote:
Tried removing the stock fan/heatsink to install a custom one and when I
pulled it up, the AMD 64 chip came with it. Well, I didn't think the chip
was suppose to come with it right? It was stuck to the Artic Silver 5
thermal paste. Well anyways, as I pulled it up, it slipped out of my hands
and fell into the cpu and about 10 of the pins on the chip were bent. I am
alreadly concluding that the chip is ruined and that I have to buy a new
one, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I tried taking tweezers and
straightening them out, but it very hard to get them straight.

Probably just fine as long as the bends aren't sharp. And as long as you
gently straighten them in a single go since back-and-forth WILL
eventually break the metal.

The adhesion of a chip to a cooler can be amazing. Sometimes it has
seemed to me like the attachment was with epoxy rather than thermal goo.
The flatter the CPU can and the cooler base the better it adheres.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old October 24th 05, 03:18 AM
badgolferman

KingOfHearts, 10/23/2005,8:30:54 PM, wrote:

Tried removing the stock fan/heatsink to install a custom one and
when I pulled it up, the AMD 64 chip came with it. Well, I didn't
think the chip was suppose to come with it right? It was stuck to the
Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. Well anyways, as I pulled it up, it
slipped out of my hands and fell into the cpu and about 10 of the
pins on the chip were bent. I am alreadly concluding that the chip
is ruined and that I have to buy a new one, but I wanted to see what
you guys think. I tried taking tweezers and straightening them out,
but it very hard to get them straight.

Try using a pen with the tip retracted.

--
"The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't
see him laughing." -- Phyllis Diller
Old October 24th 05, 04:23 AM
Jamie

use a 0.5mm lead pencil with the extended tip, be careful, then let the
socket do the rest other then that your SOL

Old October 24th 05, 04:30 AM
Skeleton Man

Tried removing the stock fan/heatsink to install a custom one and when I
pulled it up, the AMD 64 chip came with it. Well, I didn't think the chip
was suppose to come with it right? It was stuck to the Artic Silver 5
thermal paste. Well anyways, as I pulled it up, it slipped out of my hands
and fell into the cpu and about 10 of the pins on the chip were bent. I am
alreadly concluding that the chip is ruined and that I have to buy a new
one, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I tried taking tweezers and
straightening them out, but it very hard to get them straight.

It's doubtful the chip is ruined.. use a flat bladed jeweler's screwdriver (or
other very small flat screwdriver) to genty bend the pins back into place..
(place the blade of the driver infront of the bent pin and carefuly push on it
till it's in the right position).

You can also get pin straighteners which are a tool designed specially for this
purpose...

Regards,
Chris

Old October 24th 05, 05:05 AM
kony

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:23:01 GMT, "Jamie"
wrote:

use a 0.5mm lead pencil with the extended tip, be careful, then let the
socket do the rest other then that your SOL

Agreed, that is how I straighten pins too. The only thing
to be careful about is to not push the pencil tip too far
down and try to bend the pin at the very bottom as that
increases the chances of breaking it off or even pulling the
whole pin-base off of the chip. By leaving a little, maybe
1/2mm or so space it results in less stress on the bottom.
Old October 26th 05, 12:28 PM
digisol

Default Dropped my CPU chip

Bugger !

They usually will straighten out ok if done with care.

If they snap, time to upgrade, sorry.