Vista license ok for 3 pc's ?

Old April 26th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Default Vista license ok for 3 pc's ?

Quite a number of Microsoft APPLICATIONS do allow multiple installs, for
example on one desktop and one laptop, or on 3 machines (for the student
(now Home) editions of some software).

But NO Microsoft OPERATING SYSTEM has EVER allowed multiple installs per
retail or OEM license.

HDRDTD wrote:
As Barry points out, IF you buy a full copy of Vista Ultimate, then you
can use the 'Family Discount to buy two copies of Vista Home Premimum
for $50 each.

Don't confuse this with the Student and Teachers Edition Of Microsoft
Office, which does allow you to install that same copy of Office on up
to three PC's.

"RnR" wrote in message ...
Since I haven't read the Vista licensing verbage, does anyone know if
I purchase Vista (perhaps Ultimate, not sure) is it legal to install
it to 3 pc's (I seem to recall Tom S. said it was but any confirmation
on this) ? Is this typical for any Vista pkg (Ultimate, business,
home) or what do I need to look for?

Old April 26th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Legally sold OEM versions come only with a new system. A system
builder/reseller/whatever can buy one OEM version with one major piece of system
hardware (motherboard or hard drive) from most distributors, which is
essentially what I have to do when I crank out a new white box system for a
client. The discounts on 3-packs of OEM Windows are tiny, 2% or 3%, compared
to a single copy, IIRC.

Once an OEM system builder gets into the millions of licenses (read Dell,
HP/Compaq, Gateway/eMachines, IBM/Lenovo), the per copy cost of a license drops
way down.

My suggestion is to forget OEM licenses, unless you want to get them in the gray
market and run the risk that they are pirated. Also, get used to the fact that
discounts on current retail versions of Microsoft products are small. However,
hurry over to the nearest CompUSA that is closing down. CompUSA is actually
selling Vista at a discount from retail price, but only in its stores that are
closing, and only while they last... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:22:26 -0500, "***** charles"
wrote:

RnR wrote in message ...
Since I haven't read the Vista licensing verbage, does anyone know if
I purchase Vista (perhaps Ultimate, not sure) is it legal to install
it to 3 pc's (I seem to recall Tom S. said it was but any confirmation
on this) ? Is this typical for any Vista pkg (Ultimate, business,
home) or what do I need to look for?

OEM versions come in 1 pack, 3 pack and higher numbers packs. This
would be the only legal way to do what you are thinking. You would
have to go to a person/company that can legally sell OEM versions
and make your deal.

later.....

Old April 26th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

The exception is Windows Media Center, which is ONLY available OEM and
no longer requires a hardware purchase. It becomes tied to the first
machine on which you install it.

Tom

Old April 27th 07, 04:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

"Legally sold OEM versions come only with a new system."

That isn't true. Go to Newegg.com, ZipZoomFly or any other large
hardware dealer and you can buy -- completely legally and in accord with
the EULA -- an OEM copy of just about any MS OS, quantity one, without
buying any hardware at all (there used to be a hardware requirement, but
it was dropped about 2 years ago).
Old April 27th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Well, there you go. Micro$oft is loosening up to some extent... Ben Myers