W2K Pro License

Old February 9th 06, 12:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default W2K Pro License

Several years ago, I bought a 8300 PC w/ W2K Pro installed. Later
they emailed me a copy of XP Pro. I don't remember if XP shipped by
Dell needs to be registered w/ MS. If i reinstall it do I need to register?
What'll I do if I can't locate the install codes?

Mike

Old February 9th 06, 01:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Mike" wrote in

Several years ago, I bought a 8300 PC w/ W2K Pro installed.
Later they emailed me a copy of XP Pro. I don't remember if XP
shipped by Dell needs to be registered w/ MS. If i reinstall it
do I need to register? What'll I do if I can't locate the
install codes?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you need to download and run:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
Old February 9th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Mike" wrote in message
Several years ago, I bought a 8300 PC w/ W2K Pro installed. Later
they emailed me a copy of XP Pro. I don't remember if XP shipped by
Dell needs to be registered w/ MS. If i reinstall it do I need to
register?
What'll I do if I can't locate the install codes?

Mike

They "emailed" a copy of WinXP Pro? You meant "snail mail", right?

If it's an upgrade disc, you should be able to do a clean install with it so
long as you feed the machine the Win2K Pro (Dell) CD when prompted.

If it's a legit update disc then you're legal.

Stew

Old February 9th 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

You're are correct, they snail mailed me the XP Pro disks.
I fed it a W2K CD during th install but don't remember if I had to register
the prouct w/ MS.

Mike

Old February 9th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Mike;
Registration is optional.
But Activation is required, although if the upgrade is OEM, it may not be
required.
You will also need to input the Product Key for Windows XP Pro.
If you have lost the Product key but still have Windows XP installed:
Near the bottom, "View Product Key XP"

If you do not have Windows XP installed and lost your key, contact Dell
Or possibly Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246
If the above fail, you have a high priced low quality coaster.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old February 9th 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Mike" wrote in message
You're are correct, they snail mailed me the XP Pro disks.
I fed it a W2K CD during th install but don't remember if I had to
register the prouct w/ MS.

Mike

I'm guessing you didn't if it was an upgrade disc, which appears to be the
case. I know that to be the case with XPHome upgrade discs for Dell WinMe
machines I've seen.

Stew

Old February 9th 06, 10:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Assuming it is a Dell provided XP CD and you are reinstalling it on the
8300, there is no technical or license issue at all. Just boot from the CD
and do the install. You will never be prompted for a license of key
number...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old February 9th 06, 10:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Hank,

That's not necessarily true. When I purchased my 4550, it came with W2K and
a free upgrade to XP. The XP disk delivered was NOT a Dell CD, but a real
MS CD, and therefore required activation.

Surprised me.

Old February 9th 06, 02:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

And no matter what, we all have to jump through the Windows Genuine Advantage
hoop. Whose advantage is this, anyway? Guess. Wish I could bill Bill for the
time I've spent jumping through his hoop. "bill Bill". Maybe the name of a
movie about a class action lawsuit? ... Ben Myers