DOOM 4 Announced

Old May 13th 08, 08:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
chrisv

Default DOOM 4 Announced

Tweek wrote:

johns wrote in news:204294ce-ff75-44ed-a574-
:

cross-platform. Big deal. If they are not going to
put any imagination in Doom 4, then they've lost
the whole point of writing games ... entertainment.
I do remember that old games were pushing the
edge in PC and video card development, but I don't
think we need Doom 4 to do that.

Well I love Doom 3. It's still pretty much the scariest game for my money.

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Old May 13th 08, 09:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Myers

"chrisv" wrote in message

Well I love Doom 3. It's still pretty much the scariest game for my money.

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Don't know anything about Doom 3 specifically, but -
gamma adjustment problem, perhaps?

Bob M

Old May 13th 08, 10:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:25:31 -0600, "Bob Myers"
wrote:

"chrisv" wrote in message
.. .

Well I love Doom 3. It's still pretty much the scariest game for my money.

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Don't know anything about Doom 3 specifically, but -
gamma adjustment problem, perhaps?

Bob M

Not a gamma problem. The game is designed to be dark. Alot of
the action takes place in darkened, confined areas. Makes for a good
"jump" when a bad-guy just appears from the shadows. Unfortunately,
it's too dark most of the time, and makes it hard to navigate the
levels.
Old May 14th 08, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I completely disagree with you for the following simple reasons:

Doom 3 has the best sound on a Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Soundblaster with
a Creative GigaWorks 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker Set of any game I have ever
played.

Creative even has a special sound pack for Doom 3.

The graphics are also pretty phenomenal.

I still believe Doom 3 could have had even better sound.

The only other shooter games which come close to Doom 3 sound-wise a

Quake 4 very good.
Battlefield 2 very good.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic... pretty good.
Call of Duty 4 a little bit good.
Call of Juarez a little bit good.

Also the missions of Doom 3 are pretty interesting to play. Something
different happens each time.

Sometimes monster crawl over the ceiling, sometimes the crawling side ways,
sometimes this, sometimes that.

I would recommend all doubters to play the game on a *really* high end
system (Like mine =D) with ultra quality settings before judging this game !

Also do play all other shooters and you will soon learn that Doom 3 has the
best sound and I like sound a lot !

It adds the 4th or 5th dimension to a game !

Nowadays many games have great graphics but not all games have great sound !

Finally I like the way Doom 3 is a real killer game.

Are you ****ed off and want to let go of some steaaaam ?

Doom 3 is a nice single player possiblity to let of some steaaam and make a
whhhole lot of noise at the same time ! =D

When kick some ass:

Battlefield 2 is nice option too =D

The rest of the games are just hanging on.

Finally I especially LOVE THE PLASMA GUN of Doom 3 !

It's the best weapon ever, with the best and coolest sound ever !

Though the BFG of Quake 3 was nice too !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 14th 08, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Wow man.

ET: QW is made by fags !

Don't compare it to Doom 3 or you gonna **** me off ! LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck

"Carl" wrote in message
Funny that, I logged into Enemy Territory Quake Wars the other night, and
there was no-one online! So you are correct, they don't stand the test of
time, I've gone off shooters like that a bit now anyway, might look in
again when Battlefield 3 arrives, but till then I shall be playing Tabula
Rasa. That's the first time I have tried one of these online mmorpg games,
and I am enjoying it a lot.

Old May 14th 08, 05:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"chrisv" wrote in message
Tweek wrote:

johns wrote in news:204294ce-ff75-44ed-a574-
:

cross-platform. Big deal. If they are not going to
put any imagination in Doom 4, then they've lost
the whole point of writing games ... entertainment.
I do remember that old games were pushing the
edge in PC and video card development, but I don't
think we need Doom 4 to do that.

Well I love Doom 3. It's still pretty much the scariest game for my money.

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Get a new/better monitor =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old May 14th 08, 09:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mike Ruskai

On or about Tue, 13 May 2008 14:25:31 -0600 did "Bob Myers"
dribble thusly:

"chrisv" wrote in message
.. .

Well I love Doom 3. It's still pretty much the scariest game for my money.

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Don't know anything about Doom 3 specifically, but -
gamma adjustment problem, perhaps?

No, it's actually dark. Unlike most "dark" games, where you can just turn the
gamma up to brighten the area, Doom 3 actually has real darkness.

A flashlight is standard equipment in the game, though you can't wield a gun
at the same time. So the idea is, you keep the flashlight out in the dark,
spot a monster, then switch to a weapon and shoot the hell out of where the
monster was.

I think overall, Doom 3 got a bad rap. The environment, though dark, is
extraordinarily detailed. Most of those complaining are probably the ones who
ramped up the gamma to foil the intended darkness of other games, and are
angry they can't do the same in this game.

There are a few parts which show Mars outdoors, and they look almost real.
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.
Old May 14th 08, 01:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
chrisv

Skybuck Flying wrote:

"chrisv" wrote:

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Get a new/better monitor =D

Right. It's the monitor's fault that Doom3 is far darker than my
other games. 8/

Old May 15th 08, 05:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"chrisv" wrote in message
Skybuck Flying wrote:

"chrisv" wrote:

Scary, yes, largely because there's so much dark! I hate not being
able to see.

Get a new/better monitor =D

Right. It's the monitor's fault that Doom3 is far darker than my
other games. 8/

I couldn't see **** on my old monitor.

Now with my new monitor I see everything.

You said you can't see.

Either you need glassess, or a new monitor ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D