DOOM 4 Announced

Old May 9th 08, 10:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox
Mike Ruskai

Default DOOM 4 Announced

On or about Wed, 7 May 2008 15:26:13 -0600 did "Bob Myers"
dribble thusly:

Wow....anyone remember back in the days when we were
running what were still called "IBM PC compatibles" by
firelight, programming in ones and zeroes on clay tablets,
and "Doom" was a piece of shareware that everyone thought
was just AMAZING?

My first exposure to id was Wolfenstein 3D. Doom was incremental, really,
with the only added feature (beyond better graphics) being fake vertical
aiming.

Quake was the one that made me think of the word "amazing" - full 3D aiming,
(with plenty of monsters coming at you from above to make it useful), and a
truly 3D environment where you could put yourself almost anywhere. It was
also the first one that made computer speed really relevant - you needed a
Pentium to run it fullscreen at 320x240, and I only had a 486 DX2/66 at the
time. Now, I can run the GL version in a 2048x1536 window and get over
600fps.
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.
Old May 9th 08, 02:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default DOOM 4 Announced (special effects)

Yeah,

There are two special effects I want to see in a nextgen game:

1. Transparent blue ice creatures with glass distortion effect.

2. Transporter effect:

Entity walks into the transporter. The camera zooms out.

The entity which could be a human or a monster, is slowly disintegrated.

Orange electricity particles swirl around the entity inside the transporter.

The entity is slowly torn apart in either two ways:

1. Block by block it's disintregrated.

or

2. Skin layer by skin layer.

First the flesh is torn apart, then the skeleton/bones become visible, then
finally the bones disolve as well.

On the other side of the transporter if visible the opposite happens.

After everything was torn apart... so now first the bones appear... and then
the flesh around it and ofcourse the orange particles are spinning around it
all the time in circles.

I think that would be a very cool special effect in 3D !

Much better than the 2D transporter crap which Doom 3 had LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 9th 08, 02:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

You know, Doom 1 had something interesting too:

Blowing holes into the monsters.

Doom 4 should have lots of cruesome holes in the creatures which can be
blown out if you get what I am saying.

Like the brown nigga from Doom 1... BOOOM... hole right in his head.

Doom 4 should have that... lot's of shootable holes everywhere.

Makes it more believable that the creatures are actually filled... and not
just hollow polygon models.

And it makes it a whole lot more fun

And creatures should also fly back a litttttle bit... just a little bit..
especially for the shotgun..
BOOM... fly back bitch yeah LOL

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 9th 08, 03:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox
Memnoch

On Fri, 09 May 2008 05:56:33 -0400, Mike Ruskai
wrote:

[...]

I had a Cyrix 166 at the time. My friends Pentium 133 ran it faster, mine
working out to something like a Pentium 100 or 120.
Old May 9th 08, 03:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default DOOM 5 Story.

The vision of greatness is maybe a planet or maybe a spaceship on the other
side of the galaxy.

With lot's of white possibly high tech buildings. Tall buildings here and
there too.

It's a very advanced technology civilization.

Maybe Doom 5 could take place on the high tech civilization planet. Because
ofcourse betruger learned of the vision as well, and with his hellish powers
he decides to take revenge on the high tech civilization for intervening
with his plans !

Now that hi-tech civilization will face betruger's creatures of hell. Can
the hi-tech civilization survive ? Unfortunately not.

They over estimated themselfes, and they under estimated the powers of hell.
The underestimated the speed at which betruger would arrive at their home
planet. And they under estimate the sheer number of hell creatures.

The hi-tech civilization has no choice but to call on the help of those who
they helped in the past. They call on the one marine that betruger fears !
YOU !!

Yes YOU !!

It's up to you to help the hi-tech civilization. You as a marine find a
teleporter that was used be betruger to teleport some extra hell creatures
from earth to the high tech civilization.

Now you as a marine enter the teleporter to teleport across the galaxy to
the hi-tech battle.

There you find yourself in a huge war between hi-tech machines and the big
army of betruger...

You must now fight through hordes of hell creatures. Fortunately the hi-tech
civilization has found a way to protect itself from betruger's hellish
powers. Their hi-tech robots cannot be infected... something which was
unforeseen by betruger... mystified by this obstacle... betruger has to find
out the secret of this technology which prevent him from learning what it is
that prevent him from using his powers onto the hi-tech robots.

The secret of the hi-tech robots is a chip manufacturing plant which
produces hi-tech processors which have auto heal... as soon as betruger
tries to modify the chips, they auto heal... preventing him from
successfully modifieing the core logic of the robots.

Betrugers must try and destroy this chip facility... you as a marine must
prevent betruger from doing so.

Further more you as a marine must now ofcourse again close the hellish
teleporter that betruger has summoned.

The teleport is deep inside the planet... into it's iron/metal/lava core...
where temperatures are very very very hot.

Here lurk betrugers most powerfull creatures which can stand the incredible
temperatures...

The hi-tech civilization cannot enter it's core... it's chips can't handle
the strong magnetic fields inside the core.

However you as a human being can survive the huge magnetic interference !
and thus the hi-tech civilization has prepared a special suit for you...
which can withstand these high temperatures... and special weapons which
will not melt.

Now you as a marine have to go done into the core and **** up that
teleporter once and for all !

So doom 4 should have some links to the story of Doom 5... so that when
people play Doom 4 they will wonder about wooooooww... what will we fight
face in doom 5 ?

Is this vision what we will face ? hmmmm

Something to wonder and look forward too =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 9th 08, 03:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox
Larry Roberts

wrote:

[...]

I first played Quake on a 486 DX4-100Mhz with 16MB RAM at
320x240. When QuakeWorld was released, I was playing online with that
same machine over a 33.6k internet connection. On a crowed server, it
moved like a slide show.
Old May 12th 08, 07:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

Why ? Doom 3 was not what I would call a modern
game when it came out. It was too linear, and buggy.
Patches fixed the bugs, but it was still a boor compared
with a game like Far Cry or the MOH series. I never
finished Doom 3. I recently read an interview with ID,
and it seems all they cared about was game theft,
and trying some new graphics coding that was
cross-platform. Big deal. If they are not going to
put any imagination in Doom 4, then they've lost
the whole point of writing games ... entertainment.
I do remember that old games were pushing the
edge in PC and video card development, but I don't
think we need Doom 4 to do that.

johns
Old May 12th 08, 04:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Carl

Well, maybe they have their tech sorted now, and we might get a great game.
I still fire up Doom 3 every once in a while, finished it when it came out,
but I just love that shotgun! I also bought the Doom collection, as I
remembered the first games being excellent, but playing them today, I
thought they were woeful!

Old May 12th 08, 05:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Carl" wrote in message
Well, maybe they have their tech sorted now, and we might get a great
game. I still fire up Doom 3 every once in a while, finished it when it
came out, but I just love that shotgun! I also bought the Doom collection,
as I remembered the first games being excellent, but playing them today, I
thought they were woeful!

There are games that stand the test of time, and still are great, despite
dated graphics. Doom3 isn't one of these. It's a completley scripted, pretty
rail shooter. The difference between it and other great older games is in
the intelligence of the design, flexibility of exploring and attaining goals
as well as side quests and missions, how real and immersive the world is
(and this should transcend graphics), gameplay, as well uniqueness of the
original concept. System Shock 2, Thief Gold, Thief 2, Might and Magic IV,
V, VI and VII are all examples of excellent games that demonstrate this.
There's lots more. But none of the Doom series or the Quake series fall into
this category. I enjoy playing through a game like Quake 4 or Crysis. But
it's like dating one of the winners of America's Next Top Model.

Old May 12th 08, 05:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Carl

Funny that, I logged into Enemy Territory Quake Wars the other night, and
there was no-one online! So you are correct, they don't stand the test of
time, I've gone off shooters like that a bit now anyway, might look in again
when Battlefield 3 arrives, but till then I shall be playing Tabula Rasa.
That's the first time I have tried one of these online mmorpg games, and I
am enjoying it a lot.