Dual Processor or Single Processor with more cache?

Old September 21st 04, 09:53 PM
PartiPooper

Default Dual Processor or Single Processor with more cache?

I'm in the process of configuring a W2k server for general file/print
sharing and for the same price have the choice of;

A Single Xeon 3.06 w/1MB cache or a dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz w/512K cache
each

Anyone know which would be better? I assume the dual processor but
it's only a guess.

Thanks
Old September 22nd 04, 01:02 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"PartiPooper" wrote in message
om...
I'm in the process of configuring a W2k server for general file/print
sharing and for the same price have the choice of;

A Single Xeon 3.06 w/1MB cache or a dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz w/512K cache
each

Anyone know which would be better? I assume the dual processor but
it's only a guess.

Thanks

My personal preference would be dual, but that's just me and it would depend
on the type of work that you do.

Carlo

Old September 22nd 04, 12:46 PM
Alex Johnson

PartiPooper wrote:
I'm in the process of configuring a W2k server for general file/print
sharing and for the same price have the choice of;

A Single Xeon 3.06 w/1MB cache or a dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz w/512K cache
each

Anyone know which would be better? I assume the dual processor but
it's only a guess.

Thanks

While file and print sharing should require neither of those high-octane
configurations, the more powerful one is the dual Xeon. The larger
cache one is Nocona, based on Prescott, while the smaller one is
Prestonia, based on Northwood. If you follow the discussion here, you
will learn that most people consider Northwood faster than the larger
cache Prescott due to other design decisions. So one of those alone
would be better, but you can get two!

Alex
--
My words are my own. They represent no other; they belong to no other.
Don't read anything into them or you may be required to compensate me