set CDROM as master not slave?

Old June 25th 03, 06:52 PM
kony

Default set CDROM as master not slave?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:54:32 +0100, Hazel
wrote:

Hi,
I have just been given a fairly old machine which has had the hard drive
wiped. I want to install windows but can't because the CDROM is set to
Slave not Master so I can't access the setup file. Can anyone give me
(simple) instructions how to do this - this is the first time I have
attempted to play with the machines setup.

All the configuration settigns are below:

Prior to installing windows, you might try:

Set IDE UDMA to "Enabled".
Write down the Hard drive parameters and then try setting it to auto.
Enable Power Management.

Has the system remained unchanged, this HDD & CDROM worked together in
the system's current configuration, cable, jumper settings, etc? From
the details given it appears that you have the HDD as Primary Master
device but the CDROM as Secondary Slave. You might try changing the
CDROM to Secondary Master, or if that won't work, as Primary Slave.

It seems too simple but I"ll mention it anyway: Have you tried a
Windows Startup Disk, which will load the CDROM driver? If you get it
loaded, you might consider then copying the setup files/folder to the
hard drive, it'll install much faster.

Dave

STANDARD CMOS SETUP

Date (mm:dd:yy) : Wed, Jun 25 2003
Time (hh:mm:ss) : 15 : 21 : 26

HARD DISKS TYPE SIZE CYLS HEAD PRECOMP LANDZ SECTOR MODE
Primary Master: User 3497 847 128 0 6780 63 LBA
Primary Slave : None 0 0 0 0 0 0 -------
Secondary Master: None 0 0 0 0 0 0 -------
Secondary Slave : None 0 0 0 0 0 0 -------

Drive A : 1.44M, 3.5 in.
Drive B : None _____________________________________
| | Base
Memory : 640K
| Extended Memory :31744K
Video : EGA/VGA | Other Memory : 384K
Halt On: All Errors | _______________________________

| Total Memory :32768K

BIOS FEATURES SETUP

Virus Warning : Disabled |Video BIOS Shadow : Enabled
CPU Internal Cache : Enabled |C8000-CBFFF Shadow : Disabled
External Cache : Enabled |CC000-CFFFF Shadow : Disabled
Quick Power on Self Test: Enabled |D0000-D3FFF Shadow : Disabled
Boot Sequence : C,A,SCSI | D4000-D7FFF Shadow : Disabled
Swap Floppy Drive : Disabled |D8000-DBFFF Shadow : Disabled
Boot Up Floppy Seek : Disabled | DC000-DFFFF Shadow : Disabled
Boot Up Numlock Status : On |
Boot Up System Speed : High |
Gate A20 Option : Fast |
Typematics Rate Setting : Disabled |
Typematic Rate (Chars/Sec): 6 |
Typematic Delay (Msec) : 250 |
Security Option : Setup |
IDE Second Channel Control: Enabled |
PS/2 mouse function control: Enabled |
PCI/VGA Palette Snoop : Disabled |
Assign IRQ for VGA : Disabled |
OS Select for DRAM 64 MB: Non-OS2 |

CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP

DRAM Auto Configuration : Disabled |OnChip USB : Disabled
DRAM Timing Control : Normal |
Cache Timing : Fast |
Video BIOS Cacheable : Disabled |
System BIOS Cacheable : Disabled |

Fast DRAM Decoding: Disabled |

POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP

Power Management : Disable |IRQ5 (LPT 2) : Primary
PM Control by APM: Yes |IRQ6 (Floppy Disk): Primary
Video Off by Option: Suspend - Off |IRQ7 (LPT 1) : Primary
Video Off Method: Blank Screen | IRQ8 (RTC Alarm): Disabled
Conserve Mode : Disabled |IRQ9 (IRQ2 Redir): Secondary
MODEM Use IRQ : 3 | IRQ10 (Reserved): Secondary
|IRQ11 (Reserved): Secondary
**PM Timers** |IRQ12 (PS/2 Mouse): Primary
HDD Power Down : Disable |IRQ13 (Coprocessor): Primary
Doze Mode : Disable |IRQ14 (Hard Disk): Disabled
Suspend Mode : Disable |IRQ15 (Reserved): Disabled

**PM Events** |
VGA : OFF |
LPT & COM : LPT/COM |
HDD & FDD : OFF |
DMA/Master : OFF |
Primary INTR : ON |
IRQ3 (COM 2) : Primary |
IRQ4 (COM 1) : Primary |

PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION

PNP OS Installed: Yes | PCI Dynamic Bursting : Disabled
Resources Controlled by : Auto |PCI Master 0 WS Write : Enabled
Reset Configuration Data: Disabled|
|PCI IRQ Activated by : Edge
|PCI IDE IRQ Map To : PCI-AUTO
|PrimaryIDE INT#: A
| Secondary IDE INT#: B

INTEGRATIED PERIPHERALS

OnChip IDE First Channel : Enabled
OnChip IDE Second Channel : Enabled
IDE Prefetch Mode : Disabled

IDE Primary Master PIO : Auto
IDE Primary Slave PIO : Auto
IDE Secondary Master PIO : Auto
IDE Secondary Slave PIO : Auto
IDE Primary Master UDMA : Disabled
IDE Primary Slave UDMA : Disabled
IDE Secondary Master UDMA : Disabled
IDE Secondary Slave UDMA : Disabled

Onboard FDD Controller : Enabled
Onboard Serial Port 1 : COM1/3F8
Onboard Serial Port 2 : COM2/2F8
Onboard Parallel Port : 378/IRQ7
Onboard Parallel Mode : SPP

IR Function : UnUsed

System Diagnostic screen seen during startup shows:
_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

CPU Type : Pentium-MMX Base Memory : 640K
Co-Processor : Installed Extended Memory : 31744K
CPU Clock : 200MHz Cache Memory : 512K
_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
Diskette Drive A : 1.44M, 2.5 in. Display Type : EGA/VGA
Diskette Drive B : None Serial Ports : 3F8 2F8 3E8
Pri. Master Disk : LBA, Mode 4, 3499MB Parallel Ports : 378
Pri. Slave Disk : None Bank0/1 DRAM Type : None
Sec. Master Disk: None Bank2/3 DRAM Type : EDO
Sec. Slave Disk : CDROM, Mode 4 Bank4/5 DRAM Type : None

Old June 28th 03, 07:40 AM
rcm

what kind of old machine?

If you have the hard drive on one channel and the CD-ROM on the second
channel it does not matter if the CD-ROM is master or slave. Just leave the
drive and CD-ROM set up as they were.

I think all you need is a boot disk with CD-ROM drivers. If you have a boot
disk try that. If you go to www.boot-disk.com for boot disks.

Your old machine probably can't boot from the CD-ROM directly like newer
machines. You can check in t he bios for the search order to see if it
supports CD-ROM. Usually it is A; C:, some may flip to A C CD-ROM, etc.
Make the CD-ROM first. Also the CD-ROM make not show up in the BIOS, only
when the POST shows. This is common for older machines.

If you still can't figure it out, please post what kind of PC, what kind of
motherboard, what CD-ROM, what CPU. A few more details would help.

"Hazel" wrote in message
Hi,
I have just been given a fairly old machine which has had the hard drive
wiped. I want to install windows but can't because the CDROM is set to
Slave not Master so I can't access the setup file. Can anyone give me
(simple) instructions how to do this - this is the first time I have
attempted to play with the machines setup.

All the configuration settigns are below:

STANDARD CMOS SETUP

Date (mm:dd:yy) : Wed, Jun 25 2003
Time (hh:mm:ss) : 15 : 21 : 26

HARD DISKS TYPE SIZE CYLS HEAD PRECOMP LANDZ SECTOR MODE
Primary Master: User 3497 847 128 0 6780 63 LBA
Primary Slave : None 0 0 0 0 0 0 -------
Secondary Master: None 0 0 0 0 0 0 -------
Secondary Slave : None 0 0 0 0 0 0 -------

Drive A : 1.44M, 3.5 in.