Dual Processor Vs. Single Processor - Need Advice!

Old July 3rd 04, 04:39 PM
Robert

Default Dual Processor Vs. Single Processor - Need Advice!

I need advice on which setup would be better for a Linux web/ftp
server with PHP and MySQL services also installed. I am currently
using an old PC with the following specs:

Pentium II 350MHz
512MB PC133 RAM
20GB IDE Hard Disk

And I have an old Compaq Proliant server with the following specs:

2 Pentium Pros @ 200MHz each
256MB EDO RAM
2 9.1GB SCSI Hard Disks (considering using RAID for speed)

I am currently using the single processor system as my server, but do
notice that it sometimes lags when more than 1 person is requesting
web pages from it.

My question is, will the dual-processor server outperform the current
server? (Taking into consideration using RAID on it...) I am only
using it for the purpose mentioned above.

TIA
Rob
Old July 6th 04, 07:39 AM
Pandora Xero

(Robert) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Really depends on a few factors. Both processor types are 32-bit, no
difference, but since one is dual-procing it adds up to 400MHz. 50MHz
more than the 350MHz System. On top of that, individual processors can
be allocated to specific tasks. EDO vs. PC133, though is where the
single-proc computer has the edge, not to mention quantity of RAM.
SCSI always ran faster than PATA (parallel ATA/IDE), and RAID might
give the Dual-proc the winning edge.

Here's an idea: set up the web server on the dual-proc comp and have
that one use only text, no GUI. Also set up to network with the PII
350 and have the PII design all the webpages and send files to the
dual-proc server.
Old July 6th 04, 09:40 PM
Robert

Really depends on a few factors. Both processor types are 32-bit, no
difference, but since one is dual-procing it adds up to 400MHz. 50MHz
more than the 350MHz System. On top of that, individual processors can
be allocated to specific tasks. EDO vs. PC133, though is where the
single-proc computer has the edge, not to mention quantity of RAM.
SCSI always ran faster than PATA (parallel ATA/IDE), and RAID might
give the Dual-proc the winning edge.

Here's an idea: set up the web server on the dual-proc comp and have
that one use only text, no GUI. Also set up to network with the PII
350 and have the PII design all the webpages and send files to the
dual-proc server.

Thanks for the reply. Im going to go with your advice and change to
the dual processor machine. I'm going to look around and see if I can
upgrade the RAM as well....

Thanks Again
Rob