HELP! Install Disaster!

Old December 18th 04, 11:16 PM
Leodiensian

Default HELP! Install Disaster!

Oh dear, I'm not very happy.

I have a PC with integrated nVidia graphics and XP Home (full spec
below). I have recently purchased an XFX 6800GT (AGP) card. This is
what happened:

Firstly, did a system restore point (thank goodness).

Downloaded latest nVidia drivers to a safe place.

Tried to uninstall exising display drivers. Couldn't find anything in
Add/Remove Programs so looked in Device Manager. Found the Integrated
GPU adapter, tried to uninstall. Got a requester "Can not install.
Driver may be required during boot up". Disabled instead.

Rebooted. Booted up fine in standard VGA mode.

Ran Drvier Cleaner 3.3 as recommended on this board.

Two Nvidia type things existed in the drop down box. Cleaned out both.

Turned off PC.

Plugged in new card and pluged in power dongle.

Booted up.

BIOS comes up, then screen goes black and PC resets.

Boots up again, then get the message offering Safe Modes.

Try Safe Mode, same thing happens.

Turn off and remove new card.

Same thing happens. Try the all the options, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with
Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good
Configuration and Normal Windows.

Same things happens with all modes, except Command Prompt when a whole
series of driver names and system files come up, probably just the
normal boot up process.

Can anyone help? What's happened? I've obviously deleted a bit too
much.

I don't have an XP disk as the machine came preloaded. I can't see any
way of fixing it - how do I go back to my restore point if I don't get
into Windows?

PLEASE HELP!!

Old December 18th 04, 11:53 PM
John Russell

"Leodiensian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

In all of that you don't mention the most obvious point, which I hope you've
done since it is obvious. Did you disable the intrgrated GPU in the bios?

Old December 19th 04, 12:00 AM
Kevin

You *may* be able to do a manual system restore, as described he

It involves loading the registry hives from the \WINDOWS\REPAIR
folder, booting the system, then loading the registry hives from your
restore point.

It may not work with an OEM install, as they often don't have the
required files in the REPAIR folder. The SYSTEM file is usually
missing - the SYSTEM.BAK file, if present, will NOT suffice.

To even attempt this, you will need a Windows CD to boot to the
Recovery Console, or the 6 boot floppies that can be downloaded he

Make sure you get the right version of the XP Home disks to match the
service pack level currently on your machine. These are good to have
on hand anyway, if you don't have a bootable CD.

Old December 19th 04, 12:39 AM
DaveL

Try clearing the cmos. It seems like you have a video related problem
because command prompt works.

DaveL

Old December 19th 04, 07:30 AM
spartacus

Leodiensian wrote:
[...]

I've never had any problems installing new drivers on top of old ones,
or vice versa. I never made any attempt to clean out the old drivers. A
little late for this for you, but I'd try that in the future. If you get
burned doing it the lazy man's way, you can try something else, but
something else is what you tried and it didn't work out too well. Good
luck with fixing it, but sometimes reinstalling Windows is the only way
out.
Old December 19th 04, 11:50 AM
John Smithe

Some system vendors, HP for instance, ship OEM O/S disks with the system.
You will need these OEM disks when O/S upgrade time rolls around so look
again. If you did not get any OEM O/S disks, check with your system vendor
to get replacements.

Some system vendors, again HP for instance, provide disks to perform a system
recovery. These system recovery disks will restore the system to 'factory'
state, IOW, the way it was when it left the factory. HP also provides for
application recovery only and driver recovery only.

I think DELL provides both OEM O/S disks and system recovery disks as well.

You should have both OEM O/S disks and system recovery disks of some kind.
Old December 19th 04, 04:55 PM
dino

check the BIOS for on board video and disable it...also if you do not have
any XP discs at all..recovery or a reload disc with a serial #..then the
place where you got it has sold you an illegal computer. By law you must
have a disc of some sort with a serial#.

Old December 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Leodiensian

Thanks everyone for the advice. I stupidly forgot to list my system
specs - I have an nForce 2 motherboard so disabling the integrated
graphics wasn't an issue, it happens automatically when it detects an
AGP card.

I don't have any XP disks at all, but I have solved the problem by
borrowing a friend's copy of XP Home. I went through the install
process and opted to recover a previous installation. All appears to be
as it was before! I've now successfully installed my new 6800GT.

Two quick questions:

1. Windows is now prompting me to activate. AARRGH! I've used another
XP CD with a different Product Key. I suppose technically I've
infringed copyright, although all I did was recover a previous
legitimate installation. What should I do? If I call Microsoft are they
going to send round the boys? I can't remember whether I activated my
previous version or whether it was activated when I got it. The vendor
is Watford Electronics, which is well known in the UK.

2. Would you mind telling me if these benchmarks are about right?
Decent video card but mid-range system.

3DMark01: 15962
3DMark03: 10169

System is:

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
1Gb Generic PC2700 RAM
Win XP Home
XFX 6800GT AGP
Tagan 480W PSU
Many thanks for all your kind help getting me going again!

Old December 19th 04, 08:27 PM
DaveL

The windows the machine came with was probably already activated. Did you
try to re-activate it? Try it. If it is declined, call microsoft with the
phone number listed on the screen. There is also a code number that pops up
on the screen. You'll need that too. I recently was declined reactivation
after I updated my Nforce drivers and suddenly on reboot windows said I
needed to activate. It said my hardware had changed or something. This is
bull. Any way, I tried and it said I had activated too many times with this
key. This is my third system with the same copy of windows XP Pro. Not my
fault I'm a computer geek who likes to upgrade and tweak stuff. I called
and the Microsoft guy, who sounded like he was a Hindu Indian, asked me a
couple of questions and then game me a code to punch in and I'm back in
business now.

3DMark01: 15962
3DMark03: 10169

Who cares about the 3dmark01 score. That's old school and does not apply
too much to your new video card. The 3dmark03 score is great and is a good
indicator of how your system will perform in todays games.

DaveL

oups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 11:17 PM
John Russell

[...]

Have you losts the disks or did Watford not supply them? Even if Watford use
disk cloning to install their software they still should supply a set of
original installation disks for all the software you bought.

Hance Rapids SATA HostRaid Driver Installation for GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 Jeff French Gigabyte Motherboards 6 February 14th 05 02:29 AM
Can't install Nero 6 James Cdr 1 September 13th 04 11:22 PM
Can't install CAt 3.9 on XP Pro Daniel Ganek Ati Videocards 8 November 11th 03 08:08 PM
Can't Install Radeon 9600SE Because No Standard VGA Driver in XP Steven Myers Ati Videocards 7 October 31st 03 07:27 PM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM