9500pro ati2mtag ERROR - Infinite loop ? or defective hardware ?

Old August 20th 03, 12:49 PM
markOpolis

Default 9500pro ati2mtag ERROR - Infinite loop ? or defective hardware ?

Hello everyone,

very randomly, once a day, or less, my computer freezes for something like
30 seconds, then the screen is reset to 640x480 4 bits, with an error
message window saying "Windows has detectetd and repaired a defective
hardware - you need to restart your computer". It has nothing to do with
W32.Blaster worm!!!... ;-P

When I look inside Windows event viewer (via Aida32), there is an "ati2mtag
system error" prior the freeze. But there is no other descritption!

Is my videocard really defective? How do I know for sure? It doesn't happen
during heavy load or something requiring an intensive video computing. Just
out of the blue, after 45 minutes, or 3 hours of use...

Or is it the infinite loop error? How do I prevent this from happening? Do
Omega drivers are of any help? Are ATI official catalyst 3.6 drivers faulty?
Are there any video or BIOS settings I should change?

Thanx in advance for your help!

M.

My system is as follows:
=================
MB = Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Intel i875P / ICH5 chipset)
CPU = Intel Pentium IV 2.4C (FSB 800)
DDR = A-Data 2*256Mo PC3200 (Winbond BH-5 chips) dual channel
VID = ATI Radeon 9500pro 128Mo (Catalyst 3.6 drivers)
HD = Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 120Go 7200 8Mo
OS = Windows XP Pro SP1 (up to date)
PSU = Fortron 350W ATX FSP350-60PN

Old August 20th 03, 02:04 PM
Strontium

The only way to know, for sure, if it's the infinite loop error (based on
your description...when I had it, windows saved a specific logfile in a
specific folder in c:\windows and it basically told me it was the infinite
loop error...and winblows told me this, on one of the occasions that it
bluescreened.) is to wipe the drive, reinstall windows and install dx9
FIRST, then the catalysts, then the control panel. Through trial, and error
(and many nights cussing ATI out), I have found this the best order, once
you have already munged the drivers.

Anyway, what you describe (which you reposted, blah, I won't go into that),
does not sound to me like the infinite loop problem.

-
markOpolis stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old August 20th 03, 06:55 PM
LE BIGOT Hervé

Hi

I have the same problem with catalyst driver because I overclock my card
with Powerstrip and radclocker(If i close Powerstrip and back to default
memory and core clock setting, it's fine). With Omega and hacked driver i
have no problem with my His Excalibur 9500pro.

--
@+ Hervé

E-mail :

Old August 21st 03, 07:47 AM
Archduke

Hi folks,
had the same problem weeks ago and solved it by taking out the hardware
of my PC, cleaning it carefully and putting it back in. Give it a try,
it works for me since 6 weeks, no freezes or crashes at all. And I am
overclocking my card .
Using the Cat 3.6 and RadClocker.
My system:
P4 1.6 at 2.4
Radeon 9500pro 276/270 at 371/310
Stock cooling (my pump died)
Gx Arch

Old August 23rd 03, 05:42 AM
Guess Who

This happened to me once, trying to render a very complex 3D motion
animation file with Ulead Cool 3D 3.5. After rebooting, a quick check to
the event log revealed it was in fact the "infinite loop" problem. That was
about three weeks ago, and it's the only time in all my time using WinXP and
the ATI cards I got this error.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:28 AM
BabyJ

You don't mention your soundcard, you using and AUDIGY or AUDIGY 2. Seen
lots of loop problems due to their asstastic drivers and PCI timing issues.

Old August 23rd 03, 03:48 PM
markOpolis

Hello again,

thanx to all of you who took time to answer...

I have uninstalled the official ATI Catalyst 3.6, and installed the refular
Omega Drivers v2474a. I already experienced the same error, once. Should I
install the regular Omega drivers or the hacked (9500-9700) version???...
I have an ATI Radeon 9500pro, which isn't supposed to be hack-able, is it?

When I look inside the error log, I just get "ati2mtag error" there is NO
explanation, nor details about that error. The description area is empty.
And there is nothing in the minidump folder either, because windows doesn't
crash, it just resets the screen to the default 640x480 4bits resolution,
tells it has detected and repaired a faulty device, and asks to reboot the
computer for the changes to take effect. There is no mention of "Infinite
Loop" or else...

Thanx in advance for your help!

M.

My system is as follows:
=================
MB = Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Intel i875P / ICH5 chipset)
CPU = Intel Pentium IV 2.4C (FSB 800)
DDR = A-Data 2*256Mo PC3200 (Winbond BH-5 chips) dual channel
VID = ATI Radeon 9500pro 128Mo (Catalyst 3.6 drivers)
HD = Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 120Go 7200 8Mo
OS = Windows XP Pro SP1 (up to date)
PSU = Fortron 350W ATX FSP350-60PN
SND = onboard Realtek ALC655 audio chip
PCI = none installed

Old August 23rd 03, 07:45 PM
Pluvious

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:48:42 +0200, "markOpolis" wrote:

Hello again,

thanx to all of you who took time to answer...

I have uninstalled the official ATI Catalyst 3.6, and installed the refular
Omega Drivers v2474a.
M.

Per the README(!) the instuctions say to NOT uninstall the ATI drivers but the
"CONTROL PANEL" applet. You might want start over again to solve your problem.

My system is as follows: