End of the World is Near - CCC for Linux

Old February 15th 07, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Geoff

Default End of the World is Near - CCC for Linux

"First of One" root@localhost wrote in message
Interview with ATi's Terry Makedon. Included are some interesting
statistics, for example:

"Traditionally, ATI's Catalyst driver updates are downloaded 2 million
times a month with a break down of 5% Linux downloads, 5% XP 64-bit and
90% or so for XP 32-bit."

Apparently that 5% Linux is enough to warrant its own version of Catalyst
Control Center, probably to satisfy the FireGL workstation users. Wonder
if it will run as slowly as the Windows version. Hehe.

2 things wrong with the CCC version on windows
it's built on .net
it doesn't integrate with the display settings errr tab/window/whatever

(as far as i know anyway, i'v avoided it since day 1)

i can't see the linux one being as bloaty as .net
so prob won't be 'quite' as bad

Old February 15th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Geoff" wrote in message

"First of One" root@localhost wrote in message
Interview with ATi's Terry Makedon. Included are some interesting
statistics, for example:

snip
2 things wrong with the CCC version on windows
it's built on .net
it doesn't integrate with the display settings errr tab/window/whatever

I just downloaded NASA's newest update to World Wind v1.4. It's one quarter
the size of it previous version, 16meg verses 64meg. Apparently from an
article I read, NASA dropped .net and went with active-x for its code base.
What a huge difference, and I see only improvements in responsiveness.
(Could be wrong, maybe they dropped some images in the original installed
package or something else?)

Maybe ATI needs to get a clew and drop .net and go active-x too. Seems .net
has a huge overhead and performance hit when used.

William

Old February 19th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

That would just be silly. ActiveX was Microsoft's big sin before .NET
Framework. Better would be a simple C-program like the old Control Panel.

Of course, on the fruity-looking Vista, .NET is probably the sensible way
forward.

"William" wrote in message
I just downloaded NASA's newest update to World Wind v1.4. It's one
quarter the size of it previous version, 16meg verses 64meg. Apparently
from an article I read, NASA dropped .net and went with active-x for its
code base. What a huge difference, and I see only improvements in
responsiveness. (Could be wrong, maybe they dropped some images in the
original installed package or something else?)

Maybe ATI needs to get a clew and drop .net and go active-x too. Seems
.net has a huge overhead and performance hit when used.

William

Novell Desktop Linux 10: getting closer to a toss up between Linux & Windows? YKhan General 90 February 22nd 06 02:34 AM
Linux user: please support hardware vendors whith good Linux suppor. AnonymousFC4 Nvidia Videocards 4 December 28th 05 10:38 PM
ATI just released new Linux drivers, anyone tried them on SUSE Linux 9.1 Pro? Someone Somewhere Ati Videocards 0 August 6th 04 06:16 PM
PC World UK Computer Vendors 0 January 12th 04 01:27 PM
[LINUX] Info: Intel D845GEBV2 mainboard and Linux 2.4.21/2.4.22 Steen Suder, privat Intel 0 September 15th 03 02:54 PM