Mobile Barton vs. regular Barton: any advantages?

Old May 12th 04, 07:36 PM
Wblane

Default Mobile Barton vs. regular Barton: any advantages?

Does the mobile barton have any performance enhancements over the regular
bartons --aside from lower power consumption? What I mean by this is that at
the same clock speed is a Mobile Barton any faster than a regular Barton? AMD
doesn't seem to have any data sheets on the mobile bartons that I can see.
Old May 12th 04, 07:57 PM
BigBadger

No, there are no performance advantages when running at the same speed. The
main advantage the mobile has is that it's unlocked. I've found that the
latest desktop cpu's (week 10 / 2004) overclock just as well as the mobile
and at the same voltage...but the desktop version is locked.

Old May 13th 04, 05:04 AM
Post Replies Here Please

Question when will the mobile versions be locked? Can AMD lock them
also, and if so have any been reported locked yet?

I'm trying to get one at the end of the month but that may be too late
;-(.

Thanks

"BigBadger" == BigBadger writes:

BigBadger No, there are no performance advantages when running at
BigBadger the same speed. The main advantage the mobile has is that
BigBadger it's unlocked. I've found that the latest desktop cpu's
BigBadger (week 10 / 2004) overclock just as well as the mobile and
BigBadger at the same voltage...but the desktop version is locked.

Old May 13th 04, 06:28 AM
Steve Wolfe

Question when will the mobile versions be locked? Can AMD lock them
also, and if so have any been reported locked yet?

I'm trying to get one at the end of the month but that may be too late

They probably won't ever be locked. The fact that they're unlocked is
what lets the notebooks slow the speed of the processer when less
performance is needed.

steve

Old May 13th 04, 08:25 AM
Michael Brown

Steve Wolfe wrote:
Question when will the mobile versions be locked? Can AMD lock them
also, and if so have any been reported locked yet?

I'm trying to get one at the end of the month but that may be too
late

They probably won't ever be locked. The fact that they're unlocked
is what lets the notebooks slow the speed of the processer when less
performance is needed.

Sort of correct The L3 bridges can easily be locked (ie: no multiplier
changing with NF1 or NF2 boards) without affecting the PowerNow
functionality. I've made several posts on this in the past, my favourite
being:
http://www.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en...21726%40ne ws
..xtra.co.nz

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old May 13th 04, 09:26 AM
Chip

"BigBadger" wrote in message

[snip]

I've found that the
latest desktop cpu's (week 10 / 2004) overclock just as well as the mobile
and at the same voltage

Is that correct? I can believe the "top end" might be the same. But what
about at lower voltages?

I have only had 2 mobile 2500's, so I am not an expert, but both of them
were a little disappointing in terms of top-end performance (both would only
go to around 2450MHz Prime95 stable). But on the other hand, they do seem
to need less volts than other Bartons I have tried. For example I am
running my current CPU at 2400MHz at 1.65v. I wouldn't have thought you
could do that with most desktop Bartons. My 3200+ needed 1.75v to do
2310MHz and 1.85v to manage 2400MHz.

Chip

Old May 13th 04, 01:06 PM
Josef Varela

Question when will the mobile versions be locked? Can AMD lock them
also, and if so have any been reported locked yet?

I'm trying to get one at the end of the month but that may be too late

They probably won't ever be locked. The fact that they're unlocked is
what lets the notebooks slow the speed of the processer when less
performance is needed.

The highest possible multiplier is locked AFAIR. So you just can
underclock. Opening the L6 bridges allows Ocerclocking, but fiddling wiht
the CPU means you just can go for a non mobile and mod it.
Old May 13th 04, 03:06 PM
Chip

"Josef Varela" wrote in message
Question when will the mobile versions be locked? Can AMD lock them
also, and if so have any been reported locked yet?

I'm trying to get one at the end of the month but that may be too late

They probably won't ever be locked. The fact that they're unlocked is
what lets the notebooks slow the speed of the processer when less
performance is needed.

The highest possible multiplier is locked AFAIR. So you just can
underclock. Opening the L6 bridges allows Ocerclocking, but fiddling wiht
the CPU means you just can go for a non mobile and mod it.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

My mobile is unlocked and my motherboard allows me to set any multiplier I
like. 5x, 22x... whatever.

Chip

Old May 13th 04, 06:47 PM
BigBadger

"Chip" wrote in message
"BigBadger" wrote in message

[snip]

I've found that the
latest desktop cpu's (week 10 / 2004) overclock just as well as the

mobile
and at the same voltage

Is that correct? I can believe the "top end" might be the same. But what
about at lower voltages?

I have only had 2 mobile 2500's, so I am not an expert, but both of them
were a little disappointing in terms of top-end performance (both would

only
go to around 2450MHz Prime95 stable). But on the other hand, they do seem
to need less volts than other Bartons I have tried. For example I am
running my current CPU at 2400MHz at 1.65v. I wouldn't have thought you
could do that with most desktop Bartons. My 3200+ needed 1.75v to do
2310MHz and 1.85v to manage 2400MHz.

Chip

Desktop and Mobile Bartons are basically the same chips... the difference is
that the Mobiles are tested at lower voltage...there is nothing to say that
the desktops definitely won't work at the same low voltage.
I found that a week 10 / 2004 desktop needed about the same volts for any
given speed as my week 52 / 2003 Mobile.....Maybe the CPU I got was
exceptional?

Old May 14th 04, 02:09 AM
Josef Varela

My mobile is unlocked and my motherboard allows me to set any multiplier I
like. 5x, 22x... whatever.

That means you L6 bridges are all open