Vista, or XP?

Old October 31st 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Evert

Default Vista, or XP?

Hi all!

I am about to install a new system. I have Win XP Pro laying around
here, but also RC2 of Windows Vista. Which should I install?

The end-user of the system prefers Windows Vista, but also the least
amount of possible hassle...

Since he'll be wanting Windows Vista Home Premium when it becomes
available, I am wondering what path to follow:

I XP now, upgrade to Vista Home Premium later
II RC2 now, side-grade to Vista Home Premium (is this possible?)
III XP or RC2 now. Fresh install of Vista Home Premium later

The 3rd option is obviously the one with the most hassle, but also the
one that will give the cleanest system...

Is option II possible anyway? Or can the RC2 (which is Vista Ultimate),
only be turned into Vista Ultimate?

Regards,
Evert
Old October 31st 06, 11:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"Evert" wrote in message
Hi all!

I am about to install a new system. I have Win XP Pro laying around
here, but also RC2 of Windows Vista. Which should I install?

The end-user of the system prefers Windows Vista, but also the least
amount of possible hassle...

Since he'll be wanting Windows Vista Home Premium when it becomes
available, I am wondering what path to follow:

I XP now, upgrade to Vista Home Premium later
II RC2 now, side-grade to Vista Home Premium (is this possible?)
III XP or RC2 now. Fresh install of Vista Home Premium later

The 3rd option is obviously the one with the most hassle, but also the
one that will give the cleanest system...

Is option II possible anyway? Or can the RC2 (which is Vista Ultimate),
only be turned into Vista Ultimate?

Regards,
Evert

Is the user likely to want to upgrade the hardware anytime soon? Don't
forget, the Vista licence looks to be VERY restrictive in this respect.
Personally, I'm not coming off of XP until all the fuss about Vista
licencing and activation dies down and we know whats really going to happen.

SteveH

Old October 31st 06, 12:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Evert

SteveH wrote:
"Evert" wrote in message
[...]

Since this system will be quite high-end, I do not think there will be
any hardware upgrades needed in the coming 2-3 years, so the answer to
your question is: no 8-)

Regards,
Evert
Old October 31st 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"Evert" wrote in message
SteveH wrote:
"Evert" wrote in message
[...]

Fair enough. Personally, as I said, I'm gonna wait until all the fuss dies
down and Vista has had it's first (inevitable) service pack before I take it
seriously.
I've got RC2 dual booting with XP here and I honestly don't see what all the
fuss is about. It's just XP with shiny bits on, higher hardware requirements
and lots of interfering and hand-holding rubbish included. It's like their
new flight sim, a triumph of form over functionality.

SteveH

Old October 31st 06, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J. Conners

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:59:47 +0100, Evert wrote:

Hi all!

I am about to install a new system. I have Win XP Pro laying around
here, but also RC2 of Windows Vista. Which should I install?

The end-user of the system prefers Windows Vista, but also the least
amount of possible hassle...

Since he'll be wanting Windows Vista Home Premium when it becomes
available, I am wondering what path to follow:

I XP now, upgrade to Vista Home Premium later
II RC2 now, side-grade to Vista Home Premium (is this possible?)
III XP or RC2 now. Fresh install of Vista Home Premium later

The 3rd option is obviously the one with the most hassle, but also the
one that will give the cleanest system...

Is option II possible anyway? Or can the RC2 (which is Vista Ultimate),
only be turned into Vista Ultimate?

Regards,
Evert

:-) Don't load either. Load Linux.

Jack Conners

Linux *is* User-Friendly. It just isn't Idiot-Friendly or Stupid-Friendly!!!

XUbuntu 6.10
'Linux for Human Beings'
Old October 31st 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HDRDTD

I wouldn't advise upgrading anything to Vista. It's always best, especially
with regards to pre-release versionsof an OS, to do a clean install, but you
already know this.

I would also always suggest a clean install rather than an upgrade from XP
Pro. doing an in-place upgrade from one OS to another is not the choice I
would make unless there's no other option.

RC2 (and all the beta builds as far as I know) actually contain all the
flavors of Vista. The license key you recieved from Microsoft is for Vista
Ultimate.

From what I understand, when installing RC2, you can bypass the screen where
it asks for your license key, then move on to another screen where you can
actually select which flavor of Vista you wish to install. However, any
flavor other than Ultimate will only run for a short period, because you
don't have a key for the other flavors.

I would suggest perhaps another option, Option IV.

IV Partition the HD into perhaps three partitions. , install XP Pro in one
partition. Leave one partition empty , and use the third partition for your
data files.When Vista is released, install Vista in the empty partition,
leaving you with a dual-boot system.

from that point on, he would have a chance to compare both Xp Pro and Vista
on the same hardware. If he then decides that It's Vista he wants, then he
already has it.

also, at that time he always has the option of wiping the drive and doing a
clean install of Vista.

Old October 31st 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Schrodinger's cat

"SteveH" wrote in message
.uk...

SNIP

Fair enough. Personally, as I said, I'm gonna wait until all the fuss dies
down and Vista has had it's first (inevitable) service pack before I take
it seriously.
I've got RC2 dual booting with XP here and I honestly don't see what all
the fuss is about.

Me too. (Well RC1).

It's just XP with shiny bits on, higher hardware requirements
and lots of interfering and hand-holding rubbish included.

Agreed. The upgrade prices being proposed are truly shocking, so none of my
PCs here will be "Upgraded." XP is very stable and safe if set up properly.

Most of their sales will be on new PCs and they would have got the same
income from XP anyway!

SNIP

SteveH

Old October 31st 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crispy Critter

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1
Old October 31st 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crispy Critter

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:26:18 -0300, J. Conners wrote:

Linux *is* User-Friendly. It just isn't Idiot-Friendly or Stupid-Friendly!!!

Haha..I like that one.

Old November 1st 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Oldish sod

"Evert" wrote in message
SteveH wrote:
"Evert" wrote in message
[...]

High-end compared to what, exactly?
Please don't say *nix, as that's simply an OS that doesn't
support hardware in it's nature (current or otherwise); If
you believe otherwise, have a go on a lottery, instead.
Been there, done that, came back, went away again,
came back, gone away.
Again.
XP is f*cking excellent, and anyone that tels you otherwise
has only one application in mind - the one they that they
would love to use, but can't. Because they "know it all" and
are too proud to ask for any help, they're double-****ed.
Ah, Usenet - the People's diary.
HTH,
--