Athlon 2500 Barton HSF

Old September 30th 03, 09:04 AM
Bolton Gate

Default Athlon 2500 Barton HSF

I have just overclocked my new XP 2500 Barton CPU (PIB) at 3200Hz on an Asus
A7N8X V2 Del MB with CPU voltage as set for 2500, my Crucial PC3200 memory
set to 100%, agp set to 66MHz and memory voltage left at 2.6V at with
timings 2.5/3/3/7. My pc is running very fast and stable but my cpu temp in
asus probe is showing at 46 C.

How good is the AMD HSF that it came with, is it different than the one that
comes with the 3200 CPU. Is this temp level average or should I aim to
lower it by changing the HSF?

When I mess around with the memory timings such as 2/2/2/5 and set the
voltage to 2.7 it would not post and I had to do a hard reset by removing
the battery and moving a jumper. Is this normal? Bit of a pain to set as I
have to remove on of the cards inside.

Bryan

Old September 30th 03, 09:38 AM
Alan

I will assume you mean that your board is running at Barton 3200 settings,
not 3200MHz speed? Did you also set your CPU_FSB jumper from 266/333 to
200FSB?

You might find it can do more, your temps at 46C is also fine, is that idle
temp, what is your case and room temp? Oddly enough your BIOS version can
also affect the temperature, so be sure to compare with others with the same
BIOS.

I am using an Abit board and the same processor, AMD HSF, it reads 41C with
a room temp of 22C case temp of 26C. However I am running slightly faster
FSB 205 and at CPU @1.70V.

You can replace the HSF to another model for lower temps and increased
noise, many run into the 5000RPM. The most recent AMD HSF are running
typically about 3200 RPM, and they are using a copper/aluminum design, I
find them adequate and quiet. They are always updating their HSF as I found
another XP2500 HSF ran at about 3700RPM and had a slightly different design
(also about 2C cooler).

As for your battery removal, you are right it is a pain, but it is the only
way with the Asus boards. On most other boards, you do not need to remove
the battery, simply reset the jumper temporarily. I have no idea why Asus
choses to make it so inconvenient.

Be careful tweaking this board, read the newsgroups and you will find that
sometimes this board's BIOS can corrupt or die rather than reset. Mine had
to be replaced twice. It still has a good reputation, but watch out for
this weakness.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Old September 30th 03, 10:09 AM
Morgan

I have an opinion about the reported temps and the bios with the A7n8X.
My thoughts are is that it is reporting way too low temps.
Having both the Asus and Abit revision 2 boards I am amazed at around 8 to
10c difference in the two reported temps with the same CPU in the same case
with the same hardware.
However with the Abit bios they admitted that one of the changes was to the
reported temperature as I remember many people complaining that their CPU
temps went up 8 or 10c and were very unhappy....!!! The fact that they
didn't go up one dot but only the temp reported had changed didn't seem to
make some people any happier.
With revision 17 bios in my Abit the temps were just like the Asus when I
flashed it to 18 the temps went up by as much as 10c.
For me I look at the temps now on the Asus and thing 37c for an idle temp -
yeah sure an XP 2.4 with a Vcore of 1.65 really is that cool on a crappy HSF
in a warm room, and a board temp of 19c...!!!!

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 30th 03, 10:25 AM
Alan

Morgan:
Good point,

My Abit BIOS went from 15 to 18, I don't recall if the temps changed.

I am not sure if the reported temp is a fact that is not adjustable, or a
calibration that the BIOS can modify. It would seem that Abit or Asus or
any manufacturer can adjust their temps through the BIOS. The question is
are they doing it to the performance of the CPU by increasing idle time, or
simply making what we see more appealing?

Perhaps someone here knows, I certainly don't, but your 19C in a warm room
is definitely wrong ??!

Alan

Old September 30th 03, 10:50 AM
Morgan

mmm well my memory has not been that accurate with the bios revisions....
http://tinyurl.com/p5jx

Point 1..... Rev 12 Bios
People complaining about high temps with the Abit against the Asus.
Point 2..... Rev 14 Bios
Fixed CPU temperature too high issue
Lots of happy people with very low temps (like the Asus)
Point 3.... Rev 17 Bios
Calibrated the CPU temperature again.
Lots of unhappy people with higher temps like it was originally.

At the moment, for me, reading what people post about their temps is a bit
difficult to appreciate as being the actual reading.

With the Asus board I just can't believe the low temps, although I would
like to.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 30th 03, 03:01 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Bolton Gate" wrote in message
When I mess around with the memory timings such as 2/2/2/5 and set the
voltage to 2.7 it would not post and I had to do a hard reset by removing
the battery and moving a jumper. Is this normal?

Yes, Unfortunately 2.5 Cas latency is the highest you can go as Crucial RAM
is nominally rated at 3. Running at 2.5 is overclocking on its own. Your
original timings of 2.5/3/3/7 are good if they work well and I'd leave it at
that. You could increase the voltage if you get random lockups to see if
that stops them...

Old September 30th 03, 03:39 PM
Morgan

shhh don't tell my Crucial ram then as it is running in the Asus rig at
5.2.2.2

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 30th 03, 04:04 PM
Bolton Gate

Morgan

Mine locked up at 5.2.2.2 with voltage 2.7 had to do a hard reset. Did you
have to make any special changes to get this stable?

Bryan

Old September 30th 03, 04:19 PM
Morgan

No but let me clarify just what the total specs are for that particular PC
then it might be understandable.

The machine is for my wife and is not overclocked apart from those memory
timings......

XP 2.4 ran at std speed.
2 x 256mb Sticks of PC2100 DDR Crucial memory ran in Dual mode.

The only reason as to why those memory timings were set and left that way
was that I had the choice of using either the NF7-S or the A7N8X within my
own system and those timings were left by me whilst testing the board with
my hardware. I decided to use the Abit and so built my Wife's machine around
the Asus. As I used manual memory timings for my Corsair memory I had
forgotten to change them back for the Crucial. It was only a couple of days
ago that I noticed just what the timings were after the machine had been
running perfectly well for a few weeks like that, so I have left it as it is

DDR Voltage is still at 2.6v.

So I do agree that those are fast timings and considering that it is only
2100 DDR running at its maximum rated speed I am a little surprised that it
has been so stable as other family members and friends run so many games on
it.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 30th 03, 04:45 PM
Morgan

Oh and just to add, maybe someone can clarify if I'm wrong here

The higher the rating for the speed of the memory to slower that the timings
seem to become, pro rata. So for 3200DDR (400mhz) Corsair LL (low latency)
will have faster timings then their 4000DDR (500mhz). The default timings
for their 3200 XMS LL is 6.2.2.2 and for their 4000 XMS Pro is 8.4.4.3

Crucial, Twinmos and insert name of other value branded memory might
produce higher speed memory but often with timings not as fast as those that
come as std with higher priced memory such as Corsair.

AFAIK only memory rated up to 3200 (400mhz) has been approved by JEDEC and
Crucial only seem to produce memory that has been approved by that body.

Going back to your OP the 46c temp that you are reading is that at idle or
under 100% load....? Also you might want to consider my first post on the
possible validity of that temp

--
Regards

Morgan