An open letter to Michael Dell of Dell Computer

Old December 9th 05, 02:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default An open letter to Michael Dell of Dell Computer

Please note that the following letter has been also sent to Dell
Corporate Headquarters via FedEx Priority Overnight, attention Michael
Dell.

Dear Mr. Dell,

My name is Richard Barrett. I am writing to you because I have a
problem regarding an order I placed with Dell that neither customer
service representatives nor their managers appear to be able to fix.
Please consider the following course of events:

5 November-I order a 700m laptop from Dell.com, order number
#658597424. Shipping option: USPS, 4-7 business days, pickup at post
office. Anticipated shipping date: 12 November. Seventh business day
after anticipated shipping date: 22 November.

12 November-The laptop ships according to online account status.
Shipping status of order: "In Transit", with a note that a tracking
number should be available in 48-72 hours.

17 November--I get an automated phone call from Dell telling me that
the laptop has shipped and that I will get another automated phone call
when I can pick up the laptop at the post office. Shipping status of
order: "In Transit", with a note that a tracking number should be
available in 48-72 hours.

22 November--No laptop. Shipping status of order: "In Transit", with a
note that a tracking number should be available in 48-72 hours.

28 November--I still don't have the laptop. An online chat session with
Ashakiran Sharma in customer service produces the information that
there was a "shipping error" and that the item could not be delivered.
A replacement is initiated, and I'm told my original shipping charges
will be refunded, I'm given reference number 65469087, and I'm told
that a new order number should be trackable online within 24-48 hours.
A new machine will have to be built from scratch, I'm told, and that
will take 5-7 business days, but then it will be overnighted to me at
no additional charge. Session ID for this chat: 402723. Shipping status
of original order: "In Transit", with a note that a tracking number
should be available in 48-72 hours.

30 November--An e-mail from a different rep (Neeraj, #339429) in
response to a "lost item" claim again confirms the "shipping error",
with the further information that the carrier lost the shipment. I am
again assured that I should be able to track the new order's status
within 24-48 hours. A reply I send to this e-mail is never responded
to. Shipping status of original order: "In Transit", with a note that a
tracking number should be available in 48-72 hours.

4 December--A new order number still not being in evidence, I initiate
another chat session. Khushboo Sharma tells me that the replacement
order was cancelled because the shipping status is still "in transit",
meaning that it's on its way to me. This person (assuming it was a
person, I very much got the impression based on the canned nature of
some of the responses that it was an automated system) had absolutely
no idea why anybody would tell me that there was a "shipping error" or
that the carrier lost the item. I was told that I would get a tracking
number when it reached the carrier's regional center--within 48-72
hours. I reply that it shipped on 12 November and was supposed to get
to me in 4-7 business days. We're already well past the 48-72 hour
mark. Yes, the representative replies, but I have no information that
the item was lost. Then when should I be getting my laptop? I ask. I
don't know, is the reply, and I'm sorry for the confusion, but I have
no further information for you. I file another "lost item" claim
online, and I'm assured a response within 6-12 hours. Session ID:
544823. Shipping status of original order: "In Transit", with a note
that a tracking number should be available in 48-72 hours.

5 December--No response to my lost item claim. I call Dell Customer
Service. Helen, id# 861568, says that they are sorry, that they will
initiate a replacement request, that they will do it right now while
I'm on the phone, and that they will do it by calling a person to make
sure the system doesn't kick out the replacement request because of the
"in transit" status being shown in the database of the original order.
If they have a machine with the specs I ordered, they'll get it out to
me today; if not, they'll have to build one. After being placed on hold
for a few minutes, this person comes back and says that they couldn't
get through to anybody, and that they don't want me to wait on hold any
longer, so they say they'll call me back within 2-3 hours with
confirmation information. This call never materializes. In the evening,
I call and ask for a supervisor. I explain the situation to Michael, a
"special case representative", who explains that Helen initiated
another request but that one was cancelled as well because they have no
information that the package was lost. He tells me that APX shows the
package as having been accepted at the post office on 22 November, and
says that somehow the notification that should have been generated
letting me know it was there just didn't get generated. He says he'll
send an e-mail to APX, including me on the CC line, asking them to
re-route it to my home, and that I should have it within 48 hours. He
also provides me with the APX DirecTrace tracking number,
9102112047761501001040, and assigns this customer service interaction
case #117469918. A phone call to APX confirms this information. The
e-mail promised by Michael never appears. Shipping status of original
order: "In Transit", with a note that a tracking number should be
available in 48-72 hours.

6 December--a phone call to Kathy at the post office, telephone number
(812) 988-2262, reveals that they don't have the package, and
furthermore, she tells me, they never did. It's explained to me that
pallets are scanned, not individual items, and if they got the pallet
on which the laptop was supposed to be, plus the manifest, then the
tracking system would show that the item was "accepted" regardless of
whether or not the individual shipment was present. Amanda at APX
(telephone number 888-335-5744) confirms that the post office only got
the manifest, and that the original shipment is lost. She tells me all
I can do is call Dell and ask for a replacement. I call Dell Customer
Service again, explain the situation, and ask for a supervisor. Rita
tells me that one will call me back later in the evening, and gives me
case #118861175. I never receive a call back. Shipping status of
original order: "In Transit", with a note that a tracking number should
be available in 48-72 hours.

7 December--At 2:25pm, I call Dell Customer Service again and ask for a
supervisor. Cathy, id# 56765, tells me one will call me back within two
to three hours. At 5:39pm, having not gotten a call back, I call again.
Elisa (who did not provide an id#) says she will transfer me to a
supervisor. An hour and fifteen minutes later, I'm still on hold. I
hang up and call again. Finally I am connected to a supervisor named
Jacquelyn, to whom I tell this entire story. She says that the severity
of error leaves her speechless. All she can do, she says, is refund my
money--for whatever reason (this is not explained) a replacement is
simply not possible, so she will credit me for the full amount and I
can place a new order once that occurs. She assures me that she will
put that through that evening, and that in 5 business days maximum, I
will see the money back in my checking account. She further assures me
that I will not need to call again. She gives me case #118861175.
Shipping status of original order: "In Transit", with a note that a
tracking number should be available in 48-72 hours.

8 December (today)--I receive an e-mail from Dell confirming that a
credit has been processed-for $24.00. This appears to represent the
original shipping charges. A further phone call to Dell Customer
Service and a conversation with Binny, id #98303, reveals that
Jacquelyn put through a credit request for the full amount, but that it
cannot be honored until the machine is recovered, and that even then it
will take 7-10 business days for it to be processed. "I don't know why
you were told what you were told," she says. I explain that APX told me
that the package was lost, which is why the problem exists in the first
place. Binny calls APX, who tells her that the machine is on its way
back to Dell. She then tells me she will e-mail me as soon as it has
arrived, and will do so again when the credit has been processed. As
with Jacquelyn, Binny assures me I will not need to call again. This
gets added to case # 118861175. A phone call to APX on my part connects
me to Gloria, who says that their system still shows the package as
having been "accepted" at the post office, confirms again that it's
lost, and knows nothing about the package being on its way back to Dell
or any phone call from Binny. Shipping status of original order: "In
Transit", with a note that a tracking number should be available in
48-72 hours.

Mr. Dell, I'm afraid I have little confidence in the ability of your
customer service department to fix my problem at this stage of the
game. This has long ago crossed into territory that can only be
described as "ridiculous". Therefore, I am writing to you in hopes that
you might be able to do something about this. I have had wonderful
experiences with Dell in the past, and ordered a Dell laptop this time
because the last Dell laptop I ordered was fantastic, and the ordering
process was painless. I intend to make another laptop purchase within
the next year, and the resolution of this issue will have a significant
impact on how I make this future buying decision.

The bottom line, Mr. Dell, is that Dell Computer has $2,180.54 of my
money for a laptop I've never seen and don't know if I will ever
see-and I can't seem to get anybody in your customer service
department to care or do anything about it. I have been apologized to
several times in the last twelve days, but it would appear that no
effective action has been taken. I simply don't understand.

Please, Mr. Dell, help restore my confidence in your company.

Sincerely,

Richard Barrett
1610 E. 1st St.
Bloomington, IN 47401
(812) 219-0286

Old December 9th 05, 03:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Your letter is beautifully crafted, your documentation astounding. I am so
very sorry that you have had this experience with Dell. As you are likely
aware, this kind of astonishingly idiotic comedy of errors is very rare. I
would be interested to know how your letter is received. Please post back
to the group with the results of your request for help.

ups.com...

Old December 9th 05, 09:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Jay B wrote:

Call your debit card company and put a stop /trace on it. they have to
work for you. You may get your money back before Dell does it.

DB cards are a problem - the Dell payment may be considered a cash
payment and not reversible (although I hope I'm wrong here). Best to use
a CR card for purchases like this.

Good luck to the OP, BTW.
Old December 9th 05, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with Sparky. Debit transactions are not
as clearly "protected" as credit transactions. However, this doesn't mean
you shouldn't push your bank to get the money back (I believe there are
clear rules about non-delivery of merchanise!).

As an aside, I have long since lost any patience for this kind of behavior
on the part of computer companies. This transaction should be no more
complicated than purchasing a toaster from Sears. If Dell, or any other
computer company suggests otherwise, take your business elsewhere forever.
Computers have long since become commoditized items, and you should be able
to get prompt service without BS.

A suggestion: If there's a reputable computer chain in your area
(Microcenter comes to mind), take the money from your Dell fiasco and go buy
a notebook from them. If anything goes wrong, they'll give you immediate
satisfaction - trust me; I know of what I speak!

Old December 9th 05, 01:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

All good points, but my recent experience with Sears was terrible! They had
a lawn mower on sale on the website. Went into the store. Surprise, didn't
have any in stock, but did have a more expensive model. Sales person went
into their system. Not one in all of Central Florida.

Then he shared with me that they had NEVER stocked that model and that when
people asked for it they always pushed the more expensive model.

Tom

Old December 9th 05, 03:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Must be universal.

I went to Sears to buy a new microwave oven 2 weeks ago. After picking the
one I wanted, there were no clerks in the area. There were 5 or 6 about 20
feet away talking. I whistled a few times and some of them looked at me and
went right back to talking.

Eventually someone came to help me (not one of the talkers either). I told
the guy which one I wanted. He asked if I wanted the one with the stainless
steel front. I said I did. He said the stainless ones are $20 extra even
though that was the one on the shelf under the price tag. Since I figured it
wasn't worth arguing over $20, even though it was a prime example of bait &
switch, I agreed.

Then he said he would have to walk back to the warehouse to see if any were
in stock. I asked him why he didn't just use the computer in front of him.
He replied that it wasn't working correctly. insert googley faced emoticon
here

I then asked why he didn't just call the warehouse. He said that they don't
usually answer the phone.

That was strike three so I left and bought it somewhere else.

Cripes!

Old December 9th 05, 05:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Richard,

If you haven't already, I'd also e-mail this letter straight to his box(es)
which have been posted here befo

I've never used either, but I'd use both, CC one of them, and if only one
comes back, the other got through.

Good luck and keep us posted. Here's hoping you get an apologetic and
generous response for all of your troubles.

Stew

ups.com...

Old December 9th 05, 05:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"joe_tide" wrote in message
[...]

Joe -

Amazing. This falls under the category of "if I have to beg you to take my
money for a purchase, then how will I be treated *after* the purchase should
I have a problem?"

It's a wonder some companies are able to stay in business.

Many years ago, my wife and I went to Target to buy an advertised Minolta
35mm camera. Got there, and (shock, shock) that model was out of stock.
But to my delight, the salesperson offered up a slightly nicer (read: more
expensive model) Minolta they did have in stock for the same price. I was
impressed.

I'm not sure if these stories reflect a corporate philosophy or simply poor
judgment on the part of local store or representative.

In the case of the OP either choice doesn't say much about concern for the
customer, imo.....

Stew