Can't use pci video card as primary video adapter

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 2nd 04, 09:36 PM

Default Can't use pci video card as primary video adapter

I have a PCI video card that I am trying to use as my primary (or
possibly only) video card and my computer doesn't want me to do that.
In my BIOS I have the option of setting the primary video controller
to AGP or to Auto which uses PCI first or AGP if a PCI video card
isn't found. So I set it to Auto (have tried with 'DAC Snooping' on
or off) and when I restart or turn on next, I get no video out of
either card. To fix it I have to remove the PCI card so the Auto
setting will choose my working AGP card. I've tried many things here
such as playing with the IRQ settings in the BIOS, removing the AGP
card, and physically looking for jumpers/switches on either card, but
have had no luck. I know the video from the PCI card works since I
can make it work fine (as either a primary or secondary monitor) in
Windows, but I have never seen any video out of it before Windows
finished booting.

Here's the full situation: I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
card that I am trying to install. I found out that I need to use it
as the primary video card in order to use the TV tuner functionality
on it. I assume it must be the primary card in BIOS as I can't get
Windows to detect it as a video capture device. My AGP card in a
nVidia GeForce something.

Any ideas?