Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Old February 27th 05, 09:50 PM
Kaptain Krunch

Default Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Dell, Compac, e-machines all DO NOT allow you to change Motherboards in
their machines... They want you to buy DELL etc. Parts. If you want, go to
a computer show in your area and buy case, PS, MoBo, etc and put your own
together.

kk

"Lem" wrote in message ...
Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

Old February 27th 05, 11:03 PM
Dr Zoidberg

Kaptain Krunch wrote:
Dell, Compac, e-machines all DO NOT allow you to change Motherboards
in their machines...

How exactly do they prevent you from doing that?
*some* dells use non standard motherboards but they can still be replaced if
you swap the psu at the same time.
Others are standard boards
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old February 27th 05, 11:09 PM
Clive

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Kaptain Krunch wrote:
Dell, Compac, e-machines all DO NOT allow you to change Motherboards
in their machines...

How exactly do they prevent you from doing that?
*some* dells use non standard motherboards but they can still be replaced
if you swap the psu at the same time.
Others are standard boards

The cases are designed so 'stadard' size Motherboards will not fit.

Elonex used to do the same.
Clive

Old February 28th 05, 01:12 AM
Dave

I have an old Dell L600r, the WORST of the non standard Dells. The only
proprietary thing in it was the PSU and the PSU connectors on the mobo. $159
later for mobo, cpu, ram and PSU had an Athlon XP 2000+ machine. Dell, IBM,
Compaq, etc only assemble machines anymore, they make not a single one.

--

.uk...

Old February 28th 05, 09:44 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:12:45 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have an old Dell L600r, the WORST of the non standard Dells. The only
proprietary thing in it was the PSU and the PSU connectors on the mobo. $159
later for mobo, cpu, ram and PSU had an Athlon XP 2000+ machine. Dell, IBM,
Compaq, etc only assemble machines anymore, they make not a single one.

Yes, but they do have mobos made externally to their specs, hence the
non standard PSU connector.
--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old February 27th 05, 11:36 PM
Hans Wankle

My wife bought a CompUSA system at a yard sale that had a case exactly like
a Dell that I bought about 4 years ago. When it booted it showed a CompUSA
Logo on the boot screen. I was going to remove all the parts for use on
other systems that I play with but when I got into it I was able to reflash
the bios with the original Intel bios for that board and cleaned it up and
it works like a charm for my grandaughter in college. I took my old Dell
case and installed an ABit KR7A-133R in it and it works like a charm. I did
have to upgrade the Power supply with a little modification to the case.