Looking for a backup solution

Old November 5th 04, 08:39 AM
Jesse

Default Looking for a backup solution

Hello all,

We're running out of space on our current DLT1 and DLT4000 tape
drives, so I'm going to be upgrading quite soon. Our current backup
solution is as follows.

Win2k DC #1 (the original lone server is a SQL server, file server,
DHCP, DNS, etc) - using arcserve to backup to DLT1

Win2k DC #2 (printer server, NAI ePO, some small websites, etc) - send
a backup file using win2k backup to another server to be backed up to
tape.

Win2k Exchange 2000 - backup to DLT 4000 using BackupExec.

I also have couple of other servers not being backed up and the moment
as they simply access data from SQL, and 2 or 3 more servers I will be
setting up soon to take over some of the roles of DC #1 above as well
as run some other apps.

6 servers at a colo which I pull data from them a few times a month
for backup. The colo has some enterprise solution managing the
nightly backups so I'm not too concerned with these servers.

With LTO-3 out now and DLT 1200 around the corner, I'd like to build a
backup server to backup all 7 or so servers to disk over gigE and then
dump all of that to tape.

I'm looking for any recommendations & experiences you might have with
backup software, running on Win2k/2k3, in a similar situation. I'll
need something that is exchange aware and don't know if agents work
with exchange.

Other than Arcserve and BackupExec, are there any other reasonably
priced solutions out there for me? We are a non-profit, so the sky
isn't the limit here. I'd like to keep the whole solution (drive &
software) under $10K if possible.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old November 7th 04, 01:25 PM
Erwin van Bilsen

Jesse,

Have a look at BakBone,

This will do the job.
"Jesse" schreef in bericht

Old November 8th 04, 06:50 AM
flux

Old November 8th 04, 03:40 PM
Joe

Jesse, I think that you will be able to get a great backup solution
under 10K if you go with refurbished equipment. It all comes with
full warranties just as if it was new. send me an email and I will
get back to you as soon as possible
Thanks
Joe

Old November 9th 04, 01:51 AM
Jason

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm looking into them now.

Old November 10th 04, 04:16 PM
Joe

Check out www.bltrading.com they have great deals and great people to work with
good luck
Joe

Old November 17th 04, 07:43 PM
Frank Foss

Joe wrote:
Check out www.bltrading.com they have great deals and great people to work with
good luck
Joe

Looking at your reply-to address it seems like you are an employee of
bltrading.com.

It may be appropriate to indicate in your message that you are promoting
the company you are working for, and the usual disclaimers.
Old April 27th 06, 10:34 PM
berkcom_employee berkcom_employee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foss

Yea Joe - some of us prefer blatant advertising! For example, I work for www.berkcom.com and can say we have great deals and great people too... but no one really cares about me, so all I can say is www.berkcom.com has great deals. However, that's pretty cheesy advertising. So... I'm going to say that we sell Netapp servers www.berkcom.com/NetApp/ and lots of refurbished and new hardware from other brands like EMC, Cisco, seagate, sun, etc. etc. and promote the hell out of Berkeley Communications. But again, you guys probably don't care... SO - I'll give you some good advertising. If you want to buy some computer equipment from www.berkcom.com mention my name and I'll make sure we send you a free cookie & a chance to win a million dollars. *chances of winning are zero*