keyboard problem

Old September 28th 09, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
J Lunis

Default keyboard problem

This is likely an easy question but, because I probably don't know the
right key words, I can't find the answer.
Wireless keyboard - has worked well for almost 2 years. Recently, the
keys no longer respond - intermittently. The keyboard will function
normally for an hour or two but either
striking a key results in nothing for a few seconds and/or
I get duplicate characters.
Changed the batteries so I don't think that's it. Tried playing with
the dongle (if that is the proper terminology).
Ideas please.
Old September 28th 09, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

J Lunis wrote:
This is likely an easy question but, because I probably don't know the
right key words, I can't find the answer.
Wireless keyboard - has worked well for almost 2 years. Recently, the
keys no longer respond - intermittently. The keyboard will function
normally for an hour or two but either
striking a key results in nothing for a few seconds and/or
I get duplicate characters.
Changed the batteries so I don't think that's it. Tried playing with
the dongle (if that is the proper terminology).
Ideas please.

Another transmittor on the same frequency??
Like babyphone, wifi, bluetooth, wireless link, etc..?
(check bluetooth one your(new?) phone!)?
Or the phone itself,when it crancks up the power in case
of a bad connection...
Old September 29th 09, 06:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
UCLAN

J Lunis wrote:

This is likely an easy question but, because I probably don't know the
right key words, I can't find the answer.
Wireless keyboard - has worked well for almost 2 years. Recently, the
keys no longer respond - intermittently. The keyboard will function
normally for an hour or two but either
striking a key results in nothing for a few seconds and/or
I get duplicate characters.
Changed the batteries so I don't think that's it. Tried playing with
the dongle (if that is the proper terminology).
Ideas please.

I had a cordless mouse that was acting as if it had old, weak batteries
even with new batteries. Sometimes it was fine; other times not. Long
story-short, it was dirty/oxidized contacts in the battery compartment,
not on the batteries. Once I thoroughly cleaned the contacts, all was well.

Couldn't hurt...
Old September 29th 09, 12:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
J Lunis

Sjouke Burry wrote:
J Lunis wrote:
This is likely an easy question but, because I probably don't know the
right key words, I can't find the answer.
Wireless keyboard - has worked well for almost 2 years. Recently, the
keys no longer respond - intermittently. The keyboard will function
normally for an hour or two but either
striking a key results in nothing for a few seconds and/or
I get duplicate characters.
Changed the batteries so I don't think that's it. Tried playing with
the dongle (if that is the proper terminology).
Ideas please.

Another transmittor on the same frequency??
Like babyphone, wifi, bluetooth, wireless link, etc..?
(check bluetooth one your(new?) phone!)?
Or the phone itself,when it crancks up the power in case
of a bad connection...

Very good, The phone is and PC worked happily together since I bought
the PC. I doubt that is it. Wireless printer - same story. Bluetooth?
Now that one is fairly recent and may be the culprit. I'll unplug the
dongle and see if that's it.

Old September 30th 09, 12:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
J Lunis

Sjouke Burry wrote:
J Lunis wrote:
This is likely an easy question but, because I probably don't know the
right key words, I can't find the answer.
Wireless keyboard - has worked well for almost 2 years. Recently, the
keys no longer respond - intermittently. The keyboard will function
normally for an hour or two but either
striking a key results in nothing for a few seconds and/or
I get duplicate characters.
Changed the batteries so I don't think that's it. Tried playing with
the dongle (if that is the proper terminology).
Ideas please.

Another transmittor on the same frequency??
Like babyphone, wifi, bluetooth, wireless link, etc..?
(check bluetooth one your(new?) phone!)?
Or the phone itself,when it crancks up the power in case
of a bad connection...

OK, apparently it was the bluetooth dongle. Now does this mean I can't
use bluetooth as long as I have a wireless keyboard?
Old September 30th 09, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:44:56 -0400, J Lunis
wrote:

Sjouke Burry wrote:
J Lunis wrote:
[...]

Interference is possible as you see, but not "always" a
problem, you could try a different placement of the two
receivers and/or replace either component to see if that
resolves the problem, or of course older generations of
keyboards typically used lower frequencies than 2.4GHz, but
their range usually wasn't as far.

Generally I would try moving the receiver as close to the
keyboard as possible, as a first attempt. Second try
spacing the two as far apart, opposite sides of the desk.
Old September 30th 09, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

J Lunis wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote:
J Lunis wrote:
[...]

Bluetooth uses frequency hopping. It splits up a band of frequencies
into bins. It tries to get through on the different frequencies.

Other, non Bluetooth devices, could use a single frequency. So that
other device will "notch out" one or more bins on the Bluetooth device.
The Bluetooth should be able to "step around" the interference. (I
doubt the keyboard can step around anything.)

But the devices might get upset, if their front end is overloaded
with RF energy. As Kony suggests, try separating them, even if it
means adding an extension cable to a USB port for the dongle(s).
There is a chance that the protocols can co-exist, if the front
end isn't overloaded.

I think there is even overlap between Bluetooth and some WiFi.
Which is why, if you're a "wireless person", it pays to keep
a list of all the wireless devices in the house, so you can
understand why some device has stopped working. For example,
one user noted that his WiFi stopped, every time the phone
rang. It turned out there was a cordless phone on 2.4GHz,
and when the cordless base contacts the cordless phone,
to tell it to ring, that burst of RF wiped out WiFi for
a fraction of a second. So you need to keep a chart, with
details about whether cordless phones are on 900MHz, 2.4GHz,
5GHz or whatever. The available bands can be crowded.

Paul

Keyboard problem oldman General 1 March 4th 09 05:25 PM
keyboard problem Lionel[_2_] General 3 November 2nd 08 05:49 PM
Keyboard problem Samuel Shulman General 1 October 26th 07 02:03 AM
keyboard(?) problem dh@. Homebuilt PC's 8 March 21st 07 09:04 PM
Keyboard problem? neil_1821 General 0 July 3rd 05 08:37 PM