Puzzle on IDE

Old November 24th 03, 09:40 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:41:54 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "¤jº~¥Á±Ú"
wrote :

I am fixing an old old PC, having problem with IDE channel.

Pri channel. Master 1.5g HD
Slave 1.5g HD

Sec channel. Master 1g HD
Slave CD-ROM

The pri. channel always works well and has no problem.
The sec. channel would not take two devices, it only takes one physically,
either 1g HD or CD-ROM as master.

If I connect both two, the PC will boot to the point that it says it
recognized all 4 devices but hung, it will not boot into Win98. Any
suggestion?

ps: all bio and jumper settings are correct.

I had an old Cdrom drive that would never work on either channel as a
slave(stroppy little bugger)so I used it as a Master on the 2nd IDE
port and the Hard drive as the slave(correct jumpers set for both) and
then no problems.Hard drives don't usually care if they are masters or
slaves as a rule even if they are used as a system drive so long as
the correct boot order is set to load the O/S which is not a problem
in your case.
More info here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 25th 03, 01:24 PM
philo

Default Puzzle on IDE

"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" wrote in message
I am fixing an old old PC, having problem with IDE channel.

Pri channel. Master 1.5g HD
Slave 1.5g HD

Sec channel. Master 1g HD
Slave CD-ROM

The pri. channel always works well and has no problem.
The sec. channel would not take two devices, it only takes one physically,
either 1g HD or CD-ROM as master.

If I connect both two, the PC will boot to the point that it says it
recognized all 4 devices but hung, it will not boot into Win98. Any
suggestion?

ps: all bio and jumper settings are correct.

you might want to try cable select

Old November 25th 03, 02:48 PM
jeff findley

"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" writes:

I am fixing an old old PC, having problem with IDE channel.

Pri channel. Master 1.5g HD
Slave 1.5g HD

Sec channel. Master 1g HD
Slave CD-ROM

The pri. channel always works well and has no problem.
The sec. channel would not take two devices, it only takes one physically,
either 1g HD or CD-ROM as master.

If I connect both two, the PC will boot to the point that it says it
recognized all 4 devices but hung, it will not boot into Win98. Any
suggestion?

ps: all bio and jumper settings are correct.

Power supply isn't big enough to handle all of the drives at once?

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old January 1st 04, 08:59 PM
Dogbert

If you swap the devices on the Pri and Sec channels, as in unplug from mobo
and plug into other channel, do they work? Or, plug the primary channel
devices into the secondary channel, disable the primary channel in the BIOS,
does it boot? It is possible the secondary channel controller chip on the
mobo is bad. I had a mobo do that to me. All of a sudden, the HDD on the
primary channel wouldn't work. But, if I moved the drive to the secondary
channel and disabled the primary channel, all worked fine.

CPU Puzzle - Ask the second time losl(removethis) General 1 October 28th 04 01:02 AM
CPU puzzle losl(removethis) General 0 October 25th 04 06:32 AM
puzzle Terry General 3 December 2nd 03 07:59 PM