Is trying this a bad idea?

Old October 13th 03, 11:11 PM
ck26

Default Is trying this a bad idea?

My motherboard or cpu has died. I'm not sure which and I don't want to shell
out just yet, so this maybe a very dumb question, but can I test if it was
the cpu by putting in an old 250mhz chip, and taking out the current 1.3ghz
athlon? I know the board speeds, etc are different speeds, but are they
backwards compatible? I.E., is this a really stupid thing to do? What are
the risks, if any?!

Old October 13th 03, 11:41 PM
Alceryes

No their not compatible. The 250Mhz chip won't even fit.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old October 14th 03, 12:01 AM
kony

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:11:55 +0100, "ck26"
wrote:

My motherboard or cpu has died. I'm not sure which and I don't want to shell
out just yet, so this maybe a very dumb question, but can I test if it was
the cpu by putting in an old 250mhz chip, and taking out the current 1.3ghz
athlon? I know the board speeds, etc are different speeds, but are they
backwards compatible? I.E., is this a really stupid thing to do? What are
the risks, if any?!

Your board is socket A. There's nothing in that (250MHz) range you
mention that'll work, it has to be a Duron or Athlon. Those old chips
won't even fit in the socket.

If you weren't on the other side of that big pond I'd offer to test
your parts.

Between mobo and cpu, the odds are it's the motherboard. CPUs don't
often fail unless something else "happened" too, like high overvoltage
from overclocking or the heatsink wasn't on right or fell off, fan
died, or the motherboard died anyway and took the CPU with it.
Putting odds on specific situations is hard, but I'd say odds are 20:1
or more that it's the motherboard over the CPU, unless any of the
prior things i mentioned, happened.

Dave

Old October 14th 03, 03:36 PM
ck26

Your board is socket A. There's nothing in that (250MHz) range you
mention that'll work, it has to be a Duron or Athlon. Those old chips
won't even fit in the socket.

Oh, Ok, lucky I didn't strip everything down then!

If you weren't on the other side of that big pond I'd offer to test
your parts.

How do you know which side I'm on : ) That's really great of you, but don't
worry, its not the end of the world, is it, thanks anyway.

Between mobo and cpu, the odds are it's the motherboard. CPUs don't
often fail unless something else "happened" too, like high overvoltage
from overclocking or the heatsink wasn't on right or fell off, fan
died, or the motherboard died anyway and took the CPU with it.

Well, I certainly wasn't over overclocking - the heatsink was snug and
spinning smoothly, so I probably agree by this stage that it was the
motherboard, at least that went first, if the CPU is still working. I could
always keep the CPU for testing one day, it might be fine for all I know,
but I'm not going to hazard trying it on a partially new system.

Putting odds on specific situations is hard, but I'd say odds are 20:1
or more that it's the motherboard over the CPU, unless any of the
prior things i mentioned, happened.

Spot on, I think, thanks for all the help.

Old October 18th 03, 08:07 PM
S.Boardman

"ck26" wrote in message

If you weren't on the other side of that big pond I'd offer to test
your parts.

How do you know which side I'm on : )

This bit (look at the top of your post, which is where I've copied it from):

"ck26" wrote in message
... --

Also your message headers, saying UK TLDs plus posting time of GMT ot GMT
+1.00

--
Susan