HDD puzzle

Old April 15th 08, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default HDD puzzle

Hi everyone

Got a puzzler on an old machine I wanted to asemble for someone. I put
2x HDDs on one channel and 2x CDs on the other, but whatever I set in
Bios it wont autodetect any drives, sets itself to no hdds, and thus
tries to boot from flop only.

I'm tempted to say its fried, but am I missing something? Under 'user'
setting, which I tried, bios has more optins than I'm familiar with,
ie a choice of lba/ptl/chs under the heading 'lba mode' iirc.

Checked cable headers, checked power lines, not tested the ram in it
yet.

Any clues welcome!

P2 300, 14G & 4G hdds, dvdrom & cd writer. The drives are known good
and fat32 formatted.

cheers, NT
Old April 15th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Mike Walsh wrote:
wrote:

Hi everyone

Got a puzzler on an old machine I wanted to asemble for someone. I put
2x HDDs on one channel and 2x CDs on the other, but whatever I set in
Bios it wont autodetect any drives, sets itself to no hdds, and thus
tries to boot from flop only.

Try connecting one drive at a time (jumpered for master, or single drive) to see if it can autodetect anything.

good point, will try that

I'm tempted to say its fried, but am I missing something? Under 'user'
setting, which I tried, bios has more optins than I'm familiar with,
ie a choice of lba/ptl/chs under the heading 'lba mode' iirc.

You won't be able to use manual configuration unless you know the configuration of the drive. Older drives have the configuration printed on the label on the drive. Newer drive do not.

Yeah - the 4G has the CHS printed on it but not the 14, but then
that would be LBA so there is no CHS emulation iirc

Will try single drives, then see if it will handle a 2nd one. It
needs
to run 4 drives or its bin time. Thanks.

Checked cable headers, checked power lines, not tested the ram in it
yet.

Any clues welcome!

In the BIOS select Reset Configuration Data, or anything similar if it is present.

--
Mike Walsh

CPU Puzzle - Ask the second time losl(removethis) General 1 October 28th 04 01:02 AM
CPU puzzle losl(removethis) General 0 October 25th 04 06:32 AM
A puzzle to puzzle you sk General Hardware 3 July 18th 04 03:50 AM
Puzzle on IDE Shep© Homebuilt PC's 3 January 1st 04 08:59 PM
puzzle Terry General 3 December 2nd 03 07:59 PM