Error Loading OS with A8N-SLI

Old December 30th 06, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Pete

Default Error Loading OS with A8N-SLI

I swapped out my other nf4 board, a BFGrnf4u (destined for another
machine), and put in an A8N-SLI. On boot, the hard drive is recognized in
BIOS OK, but I get "Error Loading OS". Everything was OK with the BFG.

- XP SP2
- Antec Truepower II-550
- AMD A64-3500BW
- Maxtor 300GB SATA 2
- 4x512MB Corsair XMS RAM
- Powercolor x800gto
- CD and DVD on sec master and slave
- 1st boot device set to HDD, others disabled
- BIOS 1014

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

Old December 30th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
old man

You have to, at the very least, do a win repair installation and then
install mobo chipset and other drivers.

A win installation will allmost never work when you install it (the hd) on a
different mobo

Old December 30th 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Pete

Fair enough. I thought I could get away without doing so since the chipsets
are the same.

I just tried to do the repair install. However, now I'm having no luck
booting from either my XP CD or XP setup floppies. I've changed the boot
order both in the BIOS as well as manually selecting the boot device with
F8, and still I get "Error Loading OS."

Old December 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Lewis

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:28:46 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

Fair enough. I thought I could get away without doing so since the chipsets
are the same.

I just tried to do the repair install. However, now I'm having no luck
booting from either my XP CD or XP setup floppies. I've changed the boot
order both in the BIOS as well as manually selecting the boot device with
F8, and still I get "Error Loading OS."

i suggest that you do a full clean-install on a clean-formatted
partition (or a second disk), just to check that the hardware is all
A-OK. At present, you could have EITHER a hardware problem or a
software problem or BOTH.... When troubleshooting always ensure that
you are not testing more than one unknown at a time.....

John Lewis