startup image

Old November 22nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
You Know Who ~

Default startup image

Greetings and Salutations
I have a computer from Microcenter and altogether it works nice and I am in
the process of making it nicer. It has one rather annoying feature. On
bootup it displays the brand of computer and an Intel logo. This is before
windows begins to load. I would much prefer to watch the standard bootup
screen but I can't figure out where that logo screen is
located (there seems to be nothing in the bios to control that).

Thanks in advance for your help.
b~
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we
didn't.
Erica Jong

Old November 22nd 06, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
beenthere

"You Know Who ~" wrote in message
Greetings and Salutations
I have a computer from Microcenter and altogether it works nice and I am
in the process of making it nicer. It has one rather annoying feature.
On bootup it displays the brand of computer and an Intel logo. This is
before windows begins to load. I would much prefer to watch the standard
bootup screen but I can't figure out where that logo screen is
located (there seems to be nothing in the bios to control that).

In the BIOS, have you got an item called `Quiet Mode` ?.
If you have, switch it to the other option.

The Quiet Boot process is controlled by a Setup Quiet Boot Mode option. If
this option is set, the BIOS displays an activity indicator at the top of
the screen and a logo splash screen in the middle section of the screen on
the local console. The activity indicator measures POST progress and
continues until the operating system gains control of the system. The splash
screen covers any diagnostic messages in the middle section of the screen.
Although the logo is displayed on the local console, diagnostic messages are
displayed on remote text consoles. Quiet Boot may be disabled by clearing
the Setup Quiet-Boot option or by the user pressing the Esc key while in
Quiet Boot mode. If Quiet Boot is disabled, the BIOS display diagnostic
messages in place of the activity indicator and the splash screen. With the
use of an Intel-supplied utility, the BIOS allows OEMs to override the
standard Intel logo with one of their own design. If BIOS console
redirection is enabled, the OEM logo splash screen will be automatically
cleaned and only diagnostic messages will be displayed. This is because
serial console redirection can only redirect in text mode (diagnostic
message) and not in graphic mode (OEM logo). Revision 1.5 4
Page 9
Adding OEM Logo to the Intel® Server BIOS Creating the Logo 3. Creating the
Logo Create an image with a size of 640 x 480. Use the following guidelines
to ensure the logo fits within the Diagnostic / Logo window: The image size
must be in the vertical center of a 640 x 480 image file. The image itself
must be 640 x 384. The top 48-pixel height must be solid black to
accommodate the System State window. The bottom 48-pixel height must be
solid black to accommodate the Current Active window. See the sample image
and measurements below, noting the required black strips along the top and
the bottom of the image. Figure 2. Sample Logo Image Revision 1.5 5
Page 10
Preparing to Update the Flash ROM with the Logo Adding OEM Logo to the
Intel® Server BIOS 4. Preparing to Update the Flash ROM with the Logo 1.
Create a temporary folder on your hard drive. 2. Download the LOGOTOOLS.ZIP
file from http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/. Put the
file in the temporary folder. 3. Download the BIOS package from
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/. Put the file in the
temporary folder. 4. Extract the contents of the BIOS package into the
temporary folder: README.TXTbios.zip floppy.zip recovery.zip AMIBOOT.000
AMIBOOT.001 AFUDOS.EXE floppy.exe install.bat MAKEFLPY.BAT 5. Insert a blank
1.44 MB disk into the floppy drive. Run floppy.exe from the temporary folder
created in step 1. When completed, the floppy disk will contain the
following files: AUTOEXEC.BAT COMMAND.COM CONFIG.SYS FINDDISK.EXE HIMEM.SYS
IBMBIO.COM IBMDOS.COM VDISK.SYS 6. From the temporary folder created in step
1, copy AFUDOS.EXE and install.bat to the floppy disk. 7. In the temporary
folder in step 1, extract the files in bios.zip (note the lower-case
filename). The following files will be extracted: AFUDOS.EXE FBB.BAT
Sjr2a081.rom (This is an example filename. The actual filename varies by
product) Revision 1.5 6
Page 11
Adding OEM Logo to the Intel® Server BIOS Preparing to Update the Flash ROM
with the Logo 8. In the temporary folder created in step 1, extract the
files in LOGOTOOLS.ZIP. 9. Copy lha.exe to the floppy disk. 10. Copy the
custom bitmap file you created into the temporary folder that contains
OEMLOGOD.EXE 11. From the Windows Taskbar, select Start / Run. Type cmd in
the and press Enter to open a DOS window 12. Change directories to the
temporary folder in which you placed the files. 13. Run the following
command: OEMLOGOD RomFileName.rom NewOEMImageFileName [/options] Where
RomFileName is the rom image file. It has an extension of .rom. The name
Sjr2a081.rom is used in the examples in this document. NewOEMImageFileName
is the name of your logo file. [/options] is replaced with one of the
following: -[/F] to force replacement of the OEM logo, even if the logo
formats do not match. -[/N] to insert the 16-color BMP without converting it
to the default AMI format. -[/FN] to force replacement of the OEM logo
without converting a 16-color BMP to the default AMI format. -[/D] to
deletes the logo module from the ROM file. Example command: OEMLOGOD
sjr2a081.rom oem.bmp Revision 1.5 7
Page 12
Preparing to Update the Flash ROM with the Logo Adding OEM Logo to the
Intel® Server BIOS Several messages are displayed. Watch the compiling
window to ensure the new logo compiled into the common BIOS image. Watch for
the line indicated by the following diagram. If error messages are reported,
see Section 4.1, "Troubleshooting". Figure 3. Logo Compile Window indicating
Success 14. Use the following command to compress your custom ROM image
file: lha a RomFileName.LZH RomFileName.rom Whe RomFileName.LZH is
the LZH file that will be created. This is the same RomFileName used in step
13, but with an extension of .LZH. RomFileName.rom is the RomFileName used
in step 13. Example command: lha a sjr2a081.LZH sjr2a81.rom15. Copy the new
RomFileName.LZH file to the floppy disk. Revision 1.5 8
Page 13
Adding OEM Logo to the Intel® Server BIOS Preparing to Update the Flash ROM
with the Logo 16. Edit install.bat on the floppy disk to replace the
contents with the following lines: @echo Please wait while files are copied
to RAMdrive... @copy a:COMMAND.COM . /y nul: @echo Copying AFUDOS.EXE to
RAMdrive... @copy a:AFUDOS.EXE . /y nul: @echo Copying LHA.EXE to
RAMdrive... @copy a:LHA.EXE . /y nul: @echo Copying BIOS Image to
RAMdrive... @copy a:sjr2a081.LZH . /y nul: @echo Building 2M BIOS Image...
@lha e rom_image_file.LZH @echo Flash BIOS Image... @Echo Flash Main BIOS &
Boot Block @AFUDOS /isjr2a081.rom /pb /n /c1 @set
comspec=%RAMDRIVE%\command.com 4.1 Troubleshooting If errors are reported
during the compilation of the logo image, perform the following steps to
retry the compilation: 1. 2. Use the following command to remove the
original logo from the common BIOS: OEMLogod RomFileName [/D]Use the
following command to re-compile the ROM file with your logo image: OEMLogod
RomFileName NewOEMImageFileName [/F]Revision 1.5 9
Page 14
Updating the Flash ROM with the Logo Adding OEM Logo to the Intel® Server
BIOS 5. Updating the Flash ROM with the Logo The Intel® Server Boards
SE7520AF2, SE7520BD2, SE7520JR2, SE7320SP2, SE7320VP2, and SE7525GP2 support
the DOS-based BIOS update utility, AFUDOS.EXE, that is contained in the BIOS
package. Download the BIOS package from
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/. The BIOS update file
automatically generates a bootable floppy disk that includes the tools
necessary for updating the OEM logo on the onboard BIOS. Below are the steps
to follow: 1. Your server board uses a feature called the rolling BIOS,
which means two versions of the BIOS exist in your server platform. Make
sure both flash banks contain the same BIOS revision/image. To do this: a.
Flash the BIOS. b. Reboot to DOS. c. Flash the BIOS again. d. Reboot. For
more information about the rolling BIOS features and updating a server that
uses a rolling BIOS, see your server board documentation. 2. Insert the
floppy disk you worked with in section 4 into the floppy drive. 3. Run
install.bat from the floppy disk. The install.bat file was edited in section
4, step 15. The BIOS is updated. 4. (optional). Perform step 3 a second time
to update the second version of the BIOS on your server. See your server
board documentation for more information about the rolling BIOS features. 5.
Remove the floppy disk and boot the system. Revision 1.5 10

Old November 22nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
beenthere

"You Know Who ~" wrote in message
thanks, but I've looked in every single entry box... its not in the bios.

"MikeG" wrote in message
. ..
I believe that is part of your BIOS

"You Know Who ~" wrote in message
Greetings and Salutations
I have a computer from Microcenter and altogether it works nice and I
am in the process of making it nicer. It has one rather annoying
feature. On bootup it displays the brand of computer and an Intel logo.
This is before windows begins to load. I would much prefer to watch the
standard bootup screen but I can't figure out where that logo screen is
located (there seems to be nothing in the bios to control that).

Sorry about the length of my response, looks like my clipboard
went mad. g.

Old November 22nd 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MikeG

What I meant to say is the image is from the Bios, you have no control of
the image unless you can edit the bios and input a new logo. When I have
updated my bios, sometimes the initial image is also updated/changed. i.e.
when I went to a version that supported 2 cores from a single core, the new
CPU icon was there during bootup. Happens before windows loads. Where else
would the computer know what brand you had? Some bios's allow you to
suppress this during bootup.....some don't.

"beenthere" wrote in message

"You Know Who ~" wrote in message
thanks, but I've looked in every single entry box... its not in the bios.

. ..

Old November 23rd 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"MikeG" wrote in message
.. .
What I meant to say is the image is from the Bios, you have no control of
the image unless you can edit the bios and input a new logo. When I have
updated my bios, sometimes the initial image is also updated/changed.

i.e.
when I went to a version that supported 2 cores from a single core, the

new
CPU icon was there during bootup. Happens before windows loads. Where

else
would the computer know what brand you had? Some bios's allow you to
suppress this during bootup.....some don't.

That sounds right to me
and it's best not to try to reflash the bios for something that trivial

Old November 23rd 06, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

You Know Who ~ wrote:
Greetings and Salutations
I have a computer from Microcenter and altogether it works nice and I am in
the process of making it nicer. It has one rather annoying feature. On
bootup it displays the brand of computer and an Intel logo. This is before
windows begins to load. I would much prefer to watch the standard bootup
screen but I can't figure out where that logo screen is
located (there seems to be nothing in the bios to control that).

Thanks in advance for your help.
b~
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we
didn't.
Erica Jong

It's listed as one of several possible names in the BIOS.

"Silent Boot" is one that isn't obvious.

If you know what MB they used in it, you can sometimes get a "no logo"
bios for it. Of course, it may void your warranty, if they're anal
about those kinds of things.

Old November 24th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
You Know Who ~

ok, thanks, now I understand. It appears that I won't be able to surpress
it. The manufacturer has given me the brand of the motherboard so,
presumeably, at some point, I can upgrade the bios, but I agree it makes
little sense to do it for something so trivial.
thanks

.. .

"beenthere" wrote in message

"You Know Who ~" wrote in message
thanks, but I've looked in every single entry box... its not in the
bios.

. ..

Old November 24th 06, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
You Know Who ~

thanks, since they told me the motherboard brand and model # they probably
won't be anal about it, but i'll wait till a better reason comes along for
upgrading.

wrote in message
ups.com...