What you think on this idea?

Old January 22nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default What you think on this idea?

My local store will charge me $65 for assembling a new computer,
buying all the parts at his store. His prices on components are
completive with internet prices (Newegg, for example). It's my 5th.
computer and for $65 I say 'let him do the work'. I am not computer
savvy, I only can follow the directions and assemble the parts. No
software involved, as I have my own.

I'm looking for an Ansus M/B, Intel chip, XPro SP2 operating
system. It's a gaming machine and the monitor will be a 32" LCD TV
(Sony - I already have it.)

Thanks, in advance.
Bob

Old January 22nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
My local store will charge me $65 for assembling a new computer, buying
all the parts at his store. His prices on components are completive with
internet prices (Newegg, for example). It's my 5th. computer and for $65 I
say 'let him do the work'. I am not computer savvy, I only can follow the
directions and assemble the parts. No software involved, as I have my own.

I'm looking for an Ansus M/B, Intel chip, XPro SP2 operating system. It's
a gaming machine and the monitor will be a 32" LCD TV (Sony - I already
have it.)

Thanks, in advance.
Bob

If you have ability with basic hand tools and a modicum of interest in
computers, build it yourself and use the $65 some other way. There are many
excellent guides to assembling a system to be found on the web, and in the
end you'll learn more. If you know someone who's done before, see if he or
she will help walk you through it. I've looked over the shoulder of several
friends and aquaintances who have successfully built their own systems, all
of whom enjoyed the process and were glad they did it. Lastly, you can
always get help and/or advice here. Personally, I would never let anyone
assemble a system I bought parts for, if only because I would want to be
certain it was done with as much care and caution as possible. I'm not sure
you can get that for $65. Just my $.02.

Old January 22nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bob" wrote...
My local store will charge me $65 for assembling a new computer, buying all
the parts at his store. His prices on components are completive with internet
prices (Newegg, for example). It's my 5th. computer and for $65 I say 'let him
do the work'. I am not computer savvy, I only can follow the directions and
assemble the parts. No software involved, as I have my own.

Sounds reasonable. Just ensure his warranty includes some basic operating
guarantee: It will install, boot with, and reasonably run your chosen OS.
Since you are choosing the components, he cannot be responsible for performance
beyond that.