eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2: power supply requirements

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24th 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Z Man

Default eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2: power supply requirements

I have an HP desktop computer model m1090n (3.6GHz, upgraded to 3GB ram) on
which my video card has gone bad. I am considering replacing it with a much
more powerful card, perhaps the eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2. My question concerns
the power supply requirements.

My computer currently has a 300w power supply. Will that be adequate to run
the new video card? In general, if the specs for a particular video card
state that it requires a 350w power supply, and I have a 300w power supply,
what will happen? Will the computer not boot at all, run slower, etc.?

I could change the power supply, but it is a hassle and I would prefer to
avoid it, if possible.