Dell Inspiron 1200

Old November 18th 05, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Dell Inspiron 1200

Ok, I got burned. Should have known better to buy the low end unit but
after all it was a DELL. What could be better. Well within 45 days of
getting it I started getting an occasional band of white or
mutli-colors going down the right hand side of my LCD screen. No
biggie, I open and shut the lid and it goes away. Well after the 90
days was up it decided to die totally. I called customer "support" and
was informed that they would take care of if for $319 and they lady was
very proud of the "sale price".

Hmm, the new 2200 is out and is only $499 plus shipping/taxes.

I think I finally figured out how they do it so cheaply. Build it with
crap, have it assembled in China for slave wages and then when it blows
up - have the repair cost almost as high as a new laptop. Pretty slock
marketing really. Once.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Old November 18th 05, 11:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

and you can get a for $399 when they run the $100 off promotions as they
often do so the repair is a really bad value. the $29 to extend the 90
warranty to one year is however a good value. if you are within the 90th
day of your original warranty and 120 days then you can still extend your
warranty. dell gives a 30 grace period after warranty expires to renew no
questions asked. also, if you purchase using a credit card chances are that
your credit card company has automatically doubled the warranty period.
this is really a lesson about the value of a warranty on equipment that
often costs more to replace than repair. i find it interesting that desktop
warranties cost about the same as laptop warranties yet laptops are
typically way more expensive to repair and can not be repaired with generic
components like desktops can. your tied to save and you got burned. be mad
about it, but be mad at yourself for making a bad decision. it is not like
they picked one that was going die in just 90 days because that was the
length of your warranty.
having said all that, if the screen comes on when you exercise the hinge
then it sounds like there is just a loose cable that needs to be re-seated.
you can find assembly details on support.dell.com... look at the service
manual for removing/replacing parts.

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 11:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I'm confused. At 45 days, you had a warranty, even if you made the mistake
of buying a laptop with a 90 day warranty (a poor choice).

Why didn't you get it fixed? Why wait until after the warranty is up?

Tom
oups.com...

Old November 19th 05, 04:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

$319 is dirt cheap. I've heard some Dell Time&Materials calls (ie
calls out-of-warranty) are over a thousand dollars.

Bitch bitch bitch...what'd you expect for car-seat change? 1200's and
2200's suck...now go get a GOOD laptop.

Dan

Old November 19th 05, 08:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

There are coupons all the time, wait for one that suits what you are buying.
Check:

http://dellpromos.com

oups.com...

Old November 19th 05, 08:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Still promoting your website in violation of Comcast's terms of service,
huh?

No commercial posts here, remember?

"PZ" wrote in message
. ..
There are coupons all the time, wait for one that suits what you are
buying. Check:

http://dellpromos.com

oups.com...