Which drive should I remove

Old April 5th 04, 02:43 PM
Sonars_UK

Default Which drive should I remove

Hi,

I've just brought a Pioneer 107D DVD Burner (DVD Read 12x, Write 8x, Rewrite
8x, CD Read 40x, Write 24x, Rewrite 24x).

I have got to remove one of my existing drives and I am unsure which one
should go, any advice would be appreciated. My existing drives are an LG
CD-RW (Read 40x, Write 24x, Rewrite 10x) and an OEM DVD Drive (I'm not too
sure what the read speed is).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Sonars UK

Play CROSS IN THE BOX and you could be one of the guaranteed weekly winners!
The internet's exciting new Premier League results game.
IT'S WAY TOO MUCH FUN FOR JUST £1!
Play now @ www.crossinthebox.com

Old April 5th 04, 07:35 PM
Jan Alter

Hi,

The Pioneer should serve you well. I'm using a 106-D that has given
nothing but pleasure using it.
If you intend to be copying a lot of movies it makes sense to keep the
DVD drive and remove the LG drive. If you don't intend to be copying lots of
movies and you do lots of CD-R burning then take out the DVD drive so you
can continue to burn with the LG.
It's all becoming pretty minor in issue with the cost of these drives
steadily dropping to quite reasonable limits.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old April 5th 04, 08:04 PM
ECM

"Sonars_UK" wrote in message news:yodcc.7460$4N3.2517@newsfe1-win...
Hi,

I've just brought a Pioneer 107D DVD Burner (DVD Read 12x, Write 8x, Rewrite
8x, CD Read 40x, Write 24x, Rewrite 24x).

I have got to remove one of my existing drives and I am unsure which one
should go, any advice would be appreciated. My existing drives are an LG
CD-RW (Read 40x, Write 24x, Rewrite 10x) and an OEM DVD Drive (I'm not too
sure what the read speed is).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Sonars UK

Well, it kind of depends on what you do..... If you do a lot of CD
burning, then keep the CD-RW - they generally do better than the
DVD-RW burning CD's, and 2 burners are always better than one. If
you're going to be duplicating your home movies that you've burned
onto DVD-R then you should check to see that your DVD-ROM can read the
media - a lot can't. If you plan on copying (err, ahem..... I mean
"backing up".....) a lot of commercial DVD's then definitely keep the
DVD-ROM.

If it were me, I'd keep the DVD-ROM and replace the CD-RW, because I
don't do a lot of CD-R burning, and I copy my home-made DVD-R movies
all the time for relatives and friends. But that's just me.

Good Luck!
ECM
Old April 7th 04, 01:07 AM
Shep©

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:43:55 +0100 Letting slip the dogs of war
"Sonars_UK" wrote :

Hi,

I've just brought a Pioneer 107D DVD Burner (DVD Read 12x, Write 8x, Rewrite
8x, CD Read 40x, Write 24x, Rewrite 24x).

I have got to remove one of my existing drives and I am unsure which one
should go,

The ugly one ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,