Need Help - Stability problems nForce Ultra 400 / Barton 2500+

Old July 29th 03, 03:44 PM
Thomas Pinckney

Default Need Help - Stability problems nForce Ultra 400 / Barton 2500+

I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro Mobo, a barton 2500+, and 2 512MB
sticks of Corsair XMS Platinum DDR400, Radeon 9700Pro

FSB set to 200, processor = x 11, memory = 400MHz (2200 MHz effective), AGP
locked @ 66Mhz

I can boot WinXP fine. No problems using XP desktop applications.

When running games (NOLF2 multiplayer for example), I can play for a while,
but end up crashing to the desktop after 2-10 minutes, or hanging.

Tried with/without dual channel mode, same problem. I moved the FSB down to
166Mhz, and have the same problem! Memory timings are 6-2-2-2 as specified.

One weird thing I've noticed: Bios/Easytune monitor is showing fan
speed/vcore voltage/+5 volts readings dropping down several percent every
few seconds and then returning to normal - over and over. Is this constant
fluctuation normal? Could this be causing system instability? (250 Watts
PS)

Any other ideas?

Help is much appreciated.

Old July 29th 03, 04:01 PM
Thomas Pinckney

Yeah, I thought that was probably it. I'm running like 4 HDs, DVD buner,
CD-Rom drive, AND a cold cathode florescent light too! Duh. *whacks himself
in the head*

Things worked ok with my older Mobo (gigabyte ga-7vrxp, 133 fsb) though.

"Tin-Char D'un" wrote in message

[...]

Do yourself a favour and ditch your PSU in favour of something a little
closer to 450 Watts, I'll bet anything that's your problem. You don't say
what else you're running in your box but 250 Watts ain't enough...

Old July 29th 03, 05:11 PM
Ed

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:44:23 GMT, "Thomas Pinckney"
wrote:

[...]

Ram good?, have you done any memtest86 and/or Prime95 torture testing? I
have 1 stick from 2 boxes (4 sticks) of Corsair's 6-2-2-2 ram that won't
run stable unless I run them at 6-3-2-2, no matter if the bus is 133 or
210.

Ed

Old July 29th 03, 07:25 PM
Otis Bricker

I'm having the same problem without the crashes. I just get an
annoying buzz from my box when it alerts me to the fan 'dying'.
Visually the fan is spinning just fine. I am wondering if it is a
problem with the software not getting accurate info on the fan when
the cpu is under load.

I have an Enermax EG365-ve fma supply.

Old July 31st 03, 07:15 AM
Wblane

This is a classic sign of overheating and the same symptom I get when I
overheat.

Old August 5th 03, 05:11 PM
Otis Bricker

Follow up:

I disabled the SmartFan option in the bios and all the beeping has stopped.

Athlon + nForce Woes Someone General 6 May 5th 04 06:55 PM
(CROSSPOST): Stability problems Frodo General 2 December 21st 03 12:59 AM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company Overclocking 5 December 7th 03 06:54 AM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM
NFORCE 2 ULTRA 400 B.allen General 0 October 6th 03 05:35 PM