Newbie POWER SUPPLY questions related to my MOBO w/FULL-TOWER (ATX) Chassis . . .

Old August 29th 05, 07:26 PM
CURIOUS ANGEL

Default Newbie POWER SUPPLY questions related to my MOBO w/FULL-TOWER (ATX) Chassis . . .

Hi all,

I'm researching new 500-Watt Quiet PSU's and need a refresher on the
specific criterion I should be looking for so the new PSU's like both
my motherboards and my (ATX) chassis. It's been four years since I
lined up parts to hand over to my technician and I apparently didn't
keep the notes I originally made when I/they first built these SCSI
Systems. That -- and the emergence of new SATA HDD's -- prompts my
request for help knowing what, specifically, my Supermicro Motherboards
are capable of handling with some of the newer PSU's and SATA HDD's now
hitting the market. I'm fairly certain of two statistics on my current
PSU's --
..=2E...they're 115 Volt
..=2E...they contain 12cm fans

Here's a fine example of specs I'm trying to navigate:
Nexus NX-5000 500-Watt Quiet PSU
______EPS12V
______ATX 2.01 FORM FACTOR
______SLI
______Dual PCI-Express
______(6) Molex 4-pin connectors
______(3) SATA connectors
______(2) Floppy conectors

The 4-pin Molex power plugs and the (2) floppy power cables are
familiar to me; but are EITHER of my Motherboards -and/or- my type of
Chassis
1=2E) "EPS" (eg. EPS 12V) Voltage specific?
2=2E) ATX _version number_ (eg. ATX 2.01~) specific?
3=2E) "SLI" . . . ? clueless
4=2E) "PCI-Express" . . . capable? (I don't even know what this is lol)
5=2E) SATA capable?

Currently I have only ATA and SCSI HDD's; but I'd like these power
supplies to be SATA-capable for future expansion purposes. Thank you
for any help. See my System Specs below for more detail.

Angel

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/=
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

I have two Full-Tower (ATX) Systems built with two different SCSI
Supermicro Motherboards:
P6DGU 1000 MHz X 2
P6DBS 850 MHz X 2

Each System is a Dual-PIII (Windows 2000 Pro) standalone System.
Each System is housed in identical 6-Bay Full-Tower (ATX) Chassis.
Each Chassis currently has installed two 80mm Panaflo=99 Quiet Fans.
The Chassis Mfg. indicates "room for three 8cm 2nd fans".

Old August 29th 05, 07:35 PM
Phil Weldon

'CURIOUS ANGEL' wrote:
-
_____

And the question is?

Phil Weldon

Old August 29th 05, 10:17 PM
William Asher

Phil Weldon wrote:

'CURIOUS ANGEL' wrote:
-
_____

And the question is?

Phil Weldon

I think the OP wants to know if a Nexus NX-5000 500-Watt Quiet PSU (or
similar) will fit into a standard ATX form-factor chassis and be compatible
with his SM P6DGX series motherboards. He also wants to know if the
P6DGX's will run a SATA HDD. My guess is that the answers are "yes,"
"yes," and "yes, if you add a SATA controller" but I am not sure about any
of those answers, I'm just trying to restate the question.

--
Bill Asher
Old August 29th 05, 10:42 PM
Trevor Hemsley

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:26:47 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,
"CURIOUS ANGEL" wrote:

The 4-pin Molex power plugs and the (2) floppy power cables are
familiar to me; but are EITHER of my Motherboards -and/or- my type of
Chassis
1.) "EPS" (eg. EPS 12V) Voltage specific?

No idea.

2.) ATX _version number_ (eg. ATX 2.01~) specific?

The manual for my P6DBE (and all the other models in that series) says it needs
an ATX 2.01 PSU.

3.) "SLI" . . . ? clueless

No idea.

4.) "PCI-Express" . . . capable? (I don't even know what this is lol)

No. That's a newer form of PCI mainly intended for video cards. You'll need a
motherboard that's less than a year old to have this capability.

5.) SATA capable?

Not natively. If you have a spare PCI slot then you could add a SATA controller
to them.

Currently I have only ATA and SCSI HDD's; but I'd like these power
supplies to be SATA-capable for future expansion purposes.

A few of your local currency units will get you a Y shaped cable with a 4 pin
socket on one end and a pair of SATA power connectors on the other. Much cheaper
than a new PSU.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com
Old August 31st 05, 05:26 PM
Gollum

On 29 Aug 2005 11:26:47 -0700, "CURIOUS ANGEL"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm researching new 500-Watt Quiet PSU's and need a refresher on the
specific criterion I should be looking for so the new PSU's like both
my motherboards and my (ATX) chassis. It's been four years since I
lined up parts to hand over to my technician and I apparently didn't
keep the notes I originally made when I/they first built these SCSI
Systems. That -- and the emergence of new SATA HDD's -- prompts my
request for help knowing what, specifically, my Supermicro Motherboards
are capable of handling with some of the newer PSU's and SATA HDD's now
hitting the market. I'm fairly certain of two statistics on my current
PSU's --
.....they're 115 Volt
[...]

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

I have two Full-Tower (ATX) Systems built with two different SCSI
Supermicro Motherboards:
P6DGU 1000 MHz X 2
P6DBS 850 MHz X 2

Each System is a Dual-PIII (Windows 2000 Pro) standalone System.
Each System is housed in identical 6-Bay Full-Tower (ATX) Chassis.
Each Chassis currently has installed two 80mm Panaflo™ Quiet Fans.
The Chassis Mfg. indicates "room for three 8cm 2nd fans".

As Phil said " and the question is?"

Any power supply with adequate wattage and the correct connectors
should work.

If you are not replacing the mb's the SLI and PCI-e are not relevent.
PCI-e is the latest PCI type and allows you to use one of the PCI
slots for graphics (PCI-e x16) instead of AGP. SLI is a way to connect
two special PCI-e graphics cards together using two PCI-e x8 slots and
a hardware bridge that clips onto the two graphics cards. Both
technologies need to be built into the mb.

As far as SATA. If the power supply doesn't have these connectors (
most do) you can use an adapter. BUT as I understand it your SCSI
drives are faster than SATA II. Serial ATA ( I & II) has a ways to go
yet before it becomes "must have" technology. SATA is barely faster
than ATA.

Gollum