DLT internal tape in DL530

Old February 3rd 05, 02:44 PM
John

Default DLT internal tape in DL530

Although this is really a Storageworks tape drive problem, I can't find a
better group, so:

We have a Proliant dl530 running win2k advanced server. We also have an
internal storageworks 20/40 gig DLT tape drive, which we had installed at
the factory (3 years ago).

When I went to change the tape 2 days ago, the indicator lights showed in
use, but Veritas Exec said the drive was empty. I have been unable to eject
the drive, having tried the drive buttons, Veritas exec, and computer
management. I have rebooted, in hopes of stopping the process (Veritas says
its been loading the media for 2 days)

Anybody have any ideas, which don't involve removing the drive?

John

Old February 3rd 05, 03:38 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"John" wrote in message
I meant ML530

it sounds to me like your media/drive is jacked ... could be that the leader
broke off the tape. I am afraid you will need to remove the drive to
insepect and possibly have it serviced or replaced.

- LC

Old February 4th 05, 07:04 AM
Steve

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
"John" wrote in message

I meant ML530

it sounds to me like your media/drive is jacked ... could be that the leader
broke off the tape. I am afraid you will need to remove the drive to
insepect and possibly have it serviced or replaced.

- LC

In the old days, these drives were thrown away if the leader came off
the tape. That's what eventually goes wrong with all DLT drives.

That was HP ( as in HP-UX, not compaq ) policy.

Steve
Old February 4th 05, 10:12 PM
Aidan Grey

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:04:49 +1300, Steve wrote:

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
"John" wrote in message

I meant ML530

it sounds to me like your media/drive is jacked ... could be that the leader
broke off the tape. I am afraid you will need to remove the drive to
insepect and possibly have it serviced or replaced.

- LC

In the old days, these drives were thrown away if the leader came off
the tape. That's what eventually goes wrong with all DLT drives.

That was HP ( as in HP-UX, not compaq ) policy.

Steve

It is fairly simple to replace the leader on a DLT drive. I have done it
a number of times.

The Web site "www.sprague-magnetics.com" offers DLT leaders for
sale, along with instructions for changing them.

Aidan Grey

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Internal pinout in 1394 PCI Card? Shantanu Sen Homebuilt PC's 1 October 29th 04 04:31 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Making a pure IDE/ATAPI tape drive work in a USB drive enclosure. (0/1) Bloke at the pennine puddle (Replace n.a.v.d with General 0 October 11th 03 05:02 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM