Req: Can anyone identify this CPU?

Old June 24th 03, 12:53 PM

Default Req: Can anyone identify this CPU?

Speed, etc?

I can barely read the characters on the top, but this is what I think
I see:

AMD ATHLON

AO990 AMT3B

ACCA 00S2VPNW

94333650510

1999 AMD

As I said in an earlier post, my machine has stopped booting - the CPU
fan tries to start then stops, and nothing happens. I have the MOBO
out on my desk and plugged into the power supply. CPU is in place.
Nothing else is on the board - no cards or drives etc.
When I try to power up, I hear a slight noise, and my overhead lights
dim slightly and repeatedly. When I pull this CPU from the MOBO, and
try to power up, nothing much happens of cours, but the light dimming
and the noise has stopped. This suggess to me that the CPU is bad.

Does anyone agree? disagree?

I am thinking I could replace the CPU but I have no idea what the
speed is. I do not have a manual for the MOBO, but I see VIA KT133 on
what I think is a little heat sink on the board. Also VIA VT82C686A
0034CG on a chip.

Help?
Old June 24th 03, 01:54 PM
Alceryes

wrote in message
[...]

Looks like a Slot A 650Mhz Athlon to me...just taking a quick
glance...anyone else?
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

(check out my modded/OC'd system at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alceryes)

Old June 24th 03, 07:34 PM
kony

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:53:59 GMT, less wrote:

[...]

I disagree.
It could be bad, but there is insuffient evidence to conclude that, or
at least you've not supplied enough info for us to conclude that.
Actually the odds are that something else is the problem. Try a
different power supply or use a multimeter to check the power supply.

Does the PSU fan stay on? If you try powering up the system without
the CPU in, but with the CPU fan plugged in, does it spin? It should
spin, if the CPU is removed but that CPU was the (only) part damaged.
A motherboard will "turn on" a power supply and receive power without
a CPU or memory, video card, etc.

I am thinking I could replace the CPU but I have no idea what the
speed is. I do not have a manual for the MOBO, but I see VIA KT133 on
what I think is a little heat sink on the board. Also VIA VT82C686A
0034CG on a chip.

Help?

You do not need to know what the CPU is, only what the motherboard
will support. On the contrary, you probably shouldn't replace the CPU
with the same thing, now that faster CPUs for that board are more
reasonably priced it makes more sense to buy the fastest (or 2nd
fastest depending on price differential) that the board can support.
This is keeping in mind that it may not be the CPU. If it is the CPU,
now might be a good time to upgrade the motherboard too, since boards
that support 1.5GHz processors can be found for under $70, as well
as the processors.

I would carefully examine the capacitors on the motherboard for signs
of leaks, vented tops, dried residue underneith, etc. and also open up
the power supply and inspect it (after disconnecting from AC for a few
minutes to an hour).

Dave
Old June 25th 03, 11:56 AM

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:34:20 GMT, kony wrote:

I disagree.
It could be bad, but there is insuffient evidence to conclude that, or
at least you've not supplied enough info for us to conclude that.
Actually the odds are that something else is the problem. Try a
different power supply or use a multimeter to check the power supply.

I thought I said that I did indeed try another power supply - it
failed identically.

Does the PSU fan stay on? If you try powering up the system without
the CPU in, but with the CPU fan plugged in, does it spin? It should
spin, if the CPU is removed but that CPU was the (only) part damaged.
A motherboard will "turn on" a power supply and receive power without
a CPU or memory, video card, etc.

Not only does the CPU fan not run, but the power supply fan fails
also. When I run MOBO without the CPU in but with the CPU fan plugged
in, the CPU fan runs just fine.

You do not need to know what the CPU is, only what the motherboard
will support. On the contrary, you probably shouldn't replace the CPU
with the same thing, now that faster CPUs for that board are more
reasonably priced it makes more sense to buy the fastest (or 2nd
fastest depending on price differential) that the board can support.
This is keeping in mind that it may not be the CPU. If it is the CPU,
now might be a good time to upgrade the motherboard too, since boards
that support 1.5GHz processors can be found for under $70, as well
as the processors.

I agree with all you say here.

I would carefully examine the capacitors on the motherboard for signs
of leaks, vented tops, dried residue underneith, etc. and also open up
the power supply and inspect it (after disconnecting from AC for a few
minutes to an hour).

Can do.

Thanks