Gateway power supplies still proprietary?

Old May 3rd 08, 03:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Hackworth

Default Gateway power supplies still proprietary?

As someone who has built his own computers since 1987, this deal is just too
good to pass up:

Gateway FX7026 Core 2 Quad Q9300(2.50GHz) 4GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce
8800GT

I need to replace my son's gaming system, and this seems like a great option
for me, especially since I just don't have the time to mess around with
building PCs from scratch these days. The only concern I have is the chincy
400w no-name power supply. I have some extra beefy power supplies that I
could easily swap out in place of the one that ships with this system , but
I need to know if Gateway still uses proprietary power supplies and
motherboards. Will I fry the system if I swap power supplies in this box?

Old May 3rd 08, 07:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

The more recent Gateway systems I have seen use standard form factor power
supplies, except for the ones in small desktop cases. Worst case, you would
need to get some cable extenders to deal with the long power cable lengths in
systems with the newer BTX form factor... Ben Myers

Old May 3rd 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Hackworth

Many thanks, Ben. This system seems like the bets solution for me and my son
right now. I think he will like it, and he can have it a lot sooner than if
he waited for me to get around to building one for him. :-\