Dead motherboard

Old November 25th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Dead motherboard

I am working on my daughter's ABit AN7 computer. The Northbridge fan
was noisy, so I opened it up, lifted the seal from the bearings and
added a drop of oil. Tried to reboot with the case open, but boot
process hung. This MB has a post code display, and the code shows that

preliminary power checks pass, but fails to run the BIOS posts (code
90). I have removed the video card and unplugged all drives and
memory. Result is the same.

1. Any thoughts as to how to proceed?

2. Suggestions on possible MB replacements that will take AMD XP 2700,

PC3200 DDR, with SATA. I see the AN7 still listed, but the price is
$169 (more than I paid 2 years ago)!

3. Suggestions on minimal upgrade to 64bit CPU and MB. Is it possible

to use the old memory with any of them?

I am away from home and must leave early Sunday, but am in the Chicago
area, so store access is good.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Phil

Old November 25th 06, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Try resetting the cmos by unplugging from the wall and moving the reset
jumper, or remove the battery for 10 minutes.

Jan Alter

Old November 25th 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Jan Alter wrote:
Try resetting the cmos by unplugging from the wall and moving the reset
jumper, or remove the battery for 10 minutes.

Already tried - no change.

Phil

Old November 25th 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
[...]

That is a nice looking Nforce2 board. It uses DDR memory, and that memory
can be used with a socket 754 or socket 939 AMD processor.

http://www.morextech.com/newsite/Pro.../AN7-board.jpg

There are some suggestions here for code 90. It could be that pressing
reset on the front of the computer case will get it to run.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/an7-...light=an7+code

HTH,
Paul
Old November 25th 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 24 Nov 2006 18:03:26 -0800, "
wrote:

I am working on my daughter's ABit AN7 computer. The Northbridge fan
was noisy, so I opened it up, lifted the seal from the bearings and
added a drop of oil. Tried to reboot with the case open, but boot
process hung. This MB has a post code display, and the code shows that

preliminary power checks pass, but fails to run the BIOS posts (code
90). I have removed the video card and unplugged all drives and
memory. Result is the same.

1. Any thoughts as to how to proceed?

- Unplug from AC

- Inspect all cards, cables, etc- just in case you
dislodged something while inside.

- Put video card and memory back in and leave them in
unless you had a spare video card (even, preferribly, PCI
type) to try instead.

- Clear CMOS or skip this step and,

- Pull battery for a few minutes and measure it's voltage.
If borderline, swap in a good battery.

- Few minutes pass, reinstall battery and plug into AC
again, retry it.

- Measure PSU voltage with a multimeter.

The curious part is that the only event was opening it, so
perhaps a physical stress to the board(s), ESD damage if you
weren't properly grounded, or the battery was about dead and
having it unplugged for a few minutes was enough to drain
battery too much. Some boards won't POST at all without a
good battery.

2. Suggestions on possible MB replacements that will take AMD XP 2700,

PC3200 DDR, with SATA. I see the AN7 still listed, but the price is
$169 (more than I paid 2 years ago)!

Do you want an AN7 or something else? For minimal hassles
getting it up and running with your present (WinXP?) OS
installation, use an nForce2 chipset based board. The extra
cost of same board might weight against your willingness to
take time hunting down another nForce2 with the southbridge
based SATA (or would a separate discrete SATA controller be
acceptible as on boards like Asus A7N8X-Deluxe?)

Anyway, here's a list to weed through,
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...SATA&scoring=p
Personally I'd stick with an Asus, Abit, or maybe MSI board
as the cost difference between these and the lower-end
brands isn't so great now that it's aged technology, old
stock.

3. Suggestions on minimal upgrade to 64bit CPU and MB. Is it possible

to use the old memory with any of them?

Sure, socket 754 or 939. Most skt 754 support AGP video,
most 939 support PCI Express video instead (though a few
boards with a sort of *******ized AGP slot exist with basic
functionality but don't count on maximum performance in
gaming/other 3D uses). You'll have to weigh cost vs
upgradability and future use.

I am away from home and must leave early Sunday, but am in the Chicago
area, so store access is good.

No wonder you were quoting such a high price for the socket
A, AN7 board. Unless you must have someone else build this
for you, I suggest buying online, you'll save about 40%.

That is, IF your board is bad. Beyond a certain point if
nothing else works you'll have to take the plunge and buy a
board but you're not quite at that point yet.

Do you have a floppy drive connected? Could be your bios is
scrambled and if you have a floppy drive connected it might
try to load a bios to flash, if that's the only problem.
Sometimes having a PCI video card installed instead of AGP
will allow video feedback.

Please cross-post (if you must) instead of multi-posting to
separate groups.
Thanks.
Old November 25th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Paul wrote:
There are some suggestions here for code 90. It could be that pressing
reset on the front of the computer case will get it to run.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/an7-...light=an7+code

Pressing reset changes 90 to F0, which is "button reset"

Phil

Old November 25th 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

kony wrote:
On 24 Nov 2006 18:03:26 -0800, "
wrote:

- Put video card and memory back in and leave them in
unless you had a spare video card (even, preferribly, PCI
type) to try instead.

I assumed that the MB would get part way into the post without vid and
memory, so tested with them removed. They are back in with no change.

- Clear CMOS or skip this step and,

- Pull battery for a few minutes and measure it's voltage.
If borderline, swap in a good battery.

- Few minutes pass, reinstall battery and plug into AC
again, retry it.

- Measure PSU voltage with a multimeter.

Would that I could. No meter here. I have tried another PSU, and will
replace the battery. I expected that even a dead battery would show
with a post code error.

The curious part is that the only event was opening it, so
perhaps a physical stress to the board(s), ESD damage if you
weren't properly grounded, or the battery was about dead and
having it unplugged for a few minutes was enough to drain
battery too much. Some boards won't POST at all without a
good battery.

Nice to know.

The extra
cost of same board might weight against your willingness to
take time hunting down another nForce2 with the southbridge
based SATA (or would a separate discrete SATA controller be
acceptible as on boards like Asus A7N8X-Deluxe?)

Must boot from SATA.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...SATA&scoring=p

most of the links on this page appear dead.

Personally I'd stick with an Asus, Abit, or maybe MSI board
as the cost difference between these and the lower-end
brands isn't so great now that it's aged technology, old
stock.

I agree, but the only one I have found that I can actually purchase is
the AN7 for $169 (and I havent called them to see if it still exists.)

I am away from home and must leave early Sunday, but am in the Chicago
area, so store access is good.

No wonder you were quoting such a high price for the socket
A, AN7 board. Unless you must have someone else build this
for you, I suggest buying online, you'll save about 40%.

Suggestions on a place I can buy online and get the board today! There
are shops in Chicago area that have excellent prices.

Do you have a floppy drive connected?

Yes

Could be your bios is
scrambled and if you have a floppy drive connected it might
try to load a bios to flash, if that's the only problem.
Sometimes having a PCI video card installed instead of AGP
will allow video feedback.

The bios doesn't get far enough to read a floppy.

Please cross-post (if you must) instead of multi-posting to
separate groups.

Sorry. The second group was an afterthought. Posted to homebuilt
first, but noted that alt.comp.hardware got more traffic.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Phil

Old November 26th 06, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Clark

I don't suppose there is some type of open case switch on that computer?

Clark

wrote in message
oups.com...
kony wrote:
On 24 Nov 2006 18:03:26 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

PC Chips motherboard Norm Riquier Homebuilt PC's 16 December 8th 05 04:34 AM
Motherboard with a dead sound chip Float General 9 June 23rd 04 03:20 PM
Motherboard dead? A7N8X-E Deluxe iXi Homebuilt PC's 7 April 5th 04 02:23 AM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
Dead motherboard, need some troubleshooting ideas jbclem Gigabyte Motherboards 0 November 1st 03 07:49 PM