what's S/PDIF out?

Old November 30th 04, 12:18 AM
-Avery Anderson-

Default what's S/PDIF out?

I'm putting together a system using an Asus K8-V-X motherboard. It has a
S/PDIF out jack. The manual says:
"This jack connects to external usdio output devices."
It looks like an RCA jack to me. I couldn't find much doing a google
search. All I got was retailers selling boards with the jack.

It has integrated audio on board with mini jacks.

So what's the additional RCA jack for? Thanks,

Old November 30th 04, 12:49 AM
jimbo

-Avery Anderson- wrote:
I'm putting together a system using an Asus K8-V-X motherboard. It has a
S/PDIF out jack. The manual says:
"This jack connects to external usdio output devices."
It looks like an RCA jack to me. I couldn't find much doing a google
search. All I got was retailers selling boards with the jack.

It has integrated audio on board with mini jacks.

So what's the additional RCA jack for? Thanks,

Well, I am no expert but I think the SPDIF is digital audio out. Not
RCA which is analog. Experts please correct if wrong.

jimbo
Old November 30th 04, 12:59 AM
-Alby Hewlet

thanks for input Jimbo. If you're right than the D is for digital,
and the S is probably stereo. So we're 40% home.

Stereo
Digitial

Old November 30th 04, 01:43 AM
jimbo

-Alby Hewlet wrote:
thanks for input Jimbo. If you're right than the D is for digital,
and the S is probably stereo. So we're 40% home.

Stereo
Digitial

Nope, it's Sony Philips Digital InterFace. Aint Google wonderful?

jimbo
Old November 30th 04, 01:51 AM
seabat

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:18:23 -0500, "-Avery Anderson-"
wrote:

I'm putting together a system using an Asus K8-V-X motherboard. It has a
S/PDIF out jack. The manual says:
"This jack connects to external usdio output devices."
It looks like an RCA jack to me. I couldn't find much doing a google
search. All I got was retailers selling boards with the jack.

It has integrated audio on board with mini jacks.

So what's the additional RCA jack for? Thanks,

From:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...213474,00.html

S/PDIF

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a standard audio transfer
file format. It is usually found on digital audio equipment such as a
DAT (Digital Audio Tape) machine or audio processing device. It allows
the transfer of audio from one file to another without the conversion
to and from an analog format, which could degrade the signal quality.
The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA
connector, the same one used for consumer audio products. An optical
connector is also sometimes used.

HTH

--
The Seabat
Old November 30th 04, 02:00 AM
David Maynard

-Avery Anderson- wrote:
I'm putting together a system using an Asus K8-V-X motherboard. It has a
S/PDIF out jack. The manual says:
"This jack connects to external usdio output devices."
It looks like an RCA jack to me. I couldn't find much doing a google
search. All I got was retailers selling boards with the jack.

It has integrated audio on board with mini jacks.

So what's the additional RCA jack for? Thanks,

It is an RCA jack and is, as it says, for S/PDIF: Sony/Philips Digital
Interface.

It allows the transfer of audio from one device to another without the
conversion to and from an analog format.

Old November 30th 04, 02:08 AM
-Alby Hewlet

Got it. It's a protocol and a hardware solution.

Sony/
Phillips
Digitial
Inter
Face

Basically it requires a transmitter at one end, and a receiver/converter at
the other, if I'm reading it right. one hardware solution is to put rca
jacks on cat5 cable, and connect that way. It carries stereo on one wire,
and is a high fidelity solution. Ground loops are a problem.

I'm guessing the ASUS board has the transmitter integrated into it.

Does anybody use this in the home?

The article I found was about a professional audio studio.

Old November 30th 04, 02:58 AM

Built into Intel D865 mobos. Uses optical infrared laser led and fiber
cable.
Old November 30th 04, 04:06 AM
Larc

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:08:39 -0500, "-Alby Hewlet"
wrote:

| Got it. It's a protocol and a hardware solution.
|
| Sony/
| Phillips
| Digitial
| Inter
| Face
|
| Basically it requires a transmitter at one end, and a receiver/converter at
| the other, if I'm reading it right. one hardware solution is to put rca
| jacks on cat5 cable, and connect that way. It carries stereo on one wire,
| and is a high fidelity solution. Ground loops are a problem.
|
| I'm guessing the ASUS board has the transmitter integrated into it.
|
| Does anybody use this in the home?
|
| The article I found was about a professional audio studio.

Sure. I use the S/PDIF "out" on my audio card to an RCA-type digital
"in" on the receiver that controls my system sound. Along with
regular audio, it enables 5.1 surround sound for DVD movies that have
it (actually 7.1 if my receiver could accommodate that).

Larc

Old December 1st 04, 08:29 PM
jaster

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:08:39 -0500, -Alby Hewlet wrote:

Got it. It's a protocol and a hardware solution.

Sony/
Phillips
Digitial
Inter
Face

Basically it requires a transmitter at one end, and a receiver/converter
at the other, if I'm reading it right. one hardware solution is to put
rca jacks on cat5 cable, and connect that way. It carries stereo on one
wire, and is a high fidelity solution. Ground loops are a problem.

I'm guessing the ASUS board has the transmitter integrated into it.

Does anybody use this in the home?

The article I found was about a professional audio studio.

I use it in my Home Theater and DVD players to hear Dolby 5.1 channel/
Digital Theater Sound from DTS and mult-channel DVDs.

BTW, I hooked up my wife's PC's on-board sound card to her old 100 watt
4-channel stereo receiver (non-digital just Dolby Pro-logic) and I'm
jealous of the sound from her PC/receiver combo. So, if you've got an
old stereo system there's still a use for it.